Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freebording in Ireland

Options
  • 06-05-2008 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I bought myself a Freebord there after Christmas in anticipation of a snowboarding trip I went on in February. They are brilliant for anyone who wants to be able to practice snowboarding at home, this is your only option really (although apparently they're building a snowdome of sorts in Wicklow??). Its very similar to snowboarding in the way you move, but still takes a bit of getting used to, and obviously, tarmac is not quite as forgiving as snow. Havent used it as much as I would have liked at this point, but that's mainly down to crap weather, lack of hills in the immediate vicinity that aren't chok full of traffic, and the fact that catching an edge while ripping down a solid hill still freaks me out! :eek:

Anyway, does anyone else have one of these? I saw one post about them a while back but no responses to it. Just trying to find out if there are boarders who would be up for getting one of these. a few of my mates have longboards, which are great craic too, and are much easier for a more fun, casual skate but it would be great to find someone else who's up for freebording too. The only downside to them is that you do kinda need a decent hill. its possible to push yourself along but it takes a bit of getting used to and a lot of practice to make it worth your while mucking around on straights.

check out www.freebord.com for more info and vids,
    you can buy them from www.ukfreebord.com for about £150 for the complete package. These things are huge in the US and are getting big in Europe too, so lets not fall behind the latest trend. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Some of my friends got into this a few years ago. I got one for my birthday and within two days I was in hospital after falling off it. I never really got back into it. My other friend who was quite into it, ended up in hospital quite quickly too.
    They are great fun, and it was a big advantage when I went snowboarding for the first time, but the concrete is so unforgiving. Obviously in extreme sports injuries happen, but they happen so easily on freebords, but then again it would be fine if you wore pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 nellybelly

I just got one last week and i am still wrestling with it, but it is so cool when it slides out for the first time! Feels closer to snow than the dendex in Kilternan, IMHO.

Yeh, I'm beginning to realise that finding suitable hills may be more difficult than i thought. Anyone got any ideas? It would be really nice to find a nice recently-built, unopened motorway somewhere on the side of a mountain!

Also feeling like i should pick some pads.. I use wrist guards on snow, and borrow a helmet if doing something i shouldn't, but I think a helmet is pretty important with these things. Maybe knee pads too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AliCross

Yeah Id recommend getting a full set of pads. I have some from my (brief) rollerblading days from years back, but they're still grand. Thankfully I havent snotted myself too badly just yet but if anything, it gives you a bit more confidence to throw yourself down a hill. It is a pain in the ass to put it all on and plus you look like a bit of a sap, but its way better than smashing an elbow/knee/wrist/face! :pac:

Never been to the Kilternan slopes, but I imagine its somewhat disappointing after the real thing..

Apparently Howth is ok for hills,never been out that way but Id say there is less traffic then where I am now. The problem is that theres so many blind corners on these mountain/country roads; deserted motorway would be ideal!

might try to compile a list of decent runs.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭crazeehorse

greystones at around 3 in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

greystones at around 3 in the morning?

windgates?

• Advertisement
Advertisement