Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timer frame house

Options
  • 06-05-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a timber framed house, it's great. There are some issues though. The vertal studs in the wall seem to be a random intervals so it's tough to hang anything like heavy mirrors. I got a detector so that I can find wood, metal and electrical wires, it works.

Now I want to hang a portable TV in a corner, I have the perfect spot for it. The problem is there is only one vertical stud and no noggins which means I'll be hanging the TV on the plasterboard only.

I was wondering if anyone knew a way I could re-enforce the wall or use some sort of weight spreader so that I don't pull the wall down. I don't want to dig holes in the wall and have to re-plaster or anything. Surely with the amount of Timber frame homes in Ireland there must be an easy solution to this?

What do you guys suggest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

You can get special fixings that spread the weight. Here is an example
    http://www.lenehans.ie/lenehans/Main/Product2.asp?ProdID=443

You can get them in any builders providers. I put up a 19inch flatscreen last year using 3 of them and while I was nervous doing it they worked fine.

Lastbuilders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

that's great, gonna pop to telfords today and see if they have them. Cheers Lastbuilder :)

Advertisement