Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albatross Plant in Ross: What's the story?

• 06-05-2008 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Hi lads and lasses,
    I often pass by the old Albatross fertiliser plant on my way to Ross and beyond. I know it closed down a few years back, but part of the front of it still seems to be in use.

I was wondering if anyone had a bit of history on the place, or if there is plans for the site or anything. I know it's a sight that's repeated the length and breadth of the country but it'd be a real shame if nothing was made of it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Its news to me if its closed down - as far as I knew it was still in operation as a bagging plant, purchased in recent years by a French company (Rouillier or similar?). I know they're looking to develop some parts of the site but I don't think its gone altogether (despite admittedly looking derelict).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cheers Dilbert,
    I think I was passing it at the weekend so the fact that no one was about and the derelict condition probably fooled me into thinking it was shut altogether instead of being in partial use.

The back half of it look pretty run down though, it's probably only the front part in use.

Cheers once more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 guess who

The train used to take the fertiliser for distribution from the factory but this line hasn't run in years. They ahaven't amde fertiliser here in years, there used to be a large spherical reaction chamber on the side of the road. A strange palce to put one up given health and safety

Advertisement