Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Beatport Awards

• 06-05-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭

link

No surprises really. dubfire did very well, as did gui boratto (in top 3 in 2 sections). Trentemoller of course also did well in multiple genres.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

how the hell is robbie rivera in the top 3 best house artists is beyond me

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Glad to see Deadmau5 and Gorbatto do so well. Pryda two. Good to see Shlomi aber get 3rd, love his stuff. Not so into Trentmoller over all. No surprises in the hosue section too

Can't believe Samin - Heater got 3rd best track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I see they have ignored the Hardcore Breaks scene:( and instead have chosen to include cheesy Euro Hardcore as a category..

Anyway Axwell deserves the award as best House artist for sure,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

What a disgusting list. Typical of Beatport and the mongs that buy their records from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Phaetonman wrote: »
    What a disgusting list. Typical of Beatport and the mongs that buy their records from it.

disuss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

the list and the awards are all based purely, 100% off SALES

the reason you have artists in odd categories is because when a genre specific remix of a particular artist did well they counted towards the original artists scores rather than the remixers, oddly enough!

so if artist X has a house remix done that sells really well then he or she or they get the award for "best house"

suggest some other places where we wont be such mongs for buying tunes please:D

suggest some other places where we wont be such mongs for buying tunes please
    Impossible. You'll still all be mongs regardless of where you buy your ****e electrohouseminimal pop music.

so being that your on a forum entitled dance & electronic music(im presuming you like that type of music) how do you get your music:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Impossible. You'll still all be mongs regardless of where you buy your ****e electrohouseminimal pop music.

Trolltastic.

• Advertisement

Trolls are mythological creatures Mike. I am not one of them.

I am being controversial I'll admit but completely sincere.

seannash wrote: »
    so being that your on a forum entitled dance & electronic music(im presuming you like that type of music) how do you get your music:D
    I would have loved if something like Beatport was out when I dj'ed if it had good electro and techno on it. I've been a digital DJ since 2003 and had to make do with tracks I found off soulseek.

Now there isn't too much good electro and techno that I like and nobody sells it online in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Trolls are mythological creatures Mike. I am not one of them.

I am being controversial I'll admit but completely sincere.

No your trying to bate people by taking the piss out of the music they like.

Your a troll.

It isnt tolerated on this board. Why dont you start a thread about something you do like or post something constructive. Maybe you have reasons for this opinion what are they? Your just saying things to get a rise out of people at this point and that is trolling.

I would have loved if something like Beatport was out when I dj'ed if it had good electro and techno on it. I've been a digital DJ since 2003 and had to make do with tracks I found off soulseek.

Now there isn't too much good electro and techno that I like and nobody sells it online in any case.

im going to say almost every record label sells online these days.its a necessity.find labels you like and check there sites as to where they sell there tracks.
    as for soulseek.how do you think they got there.someone one had to get the original files from somewhere:D

lol at phaetonman!!

.someone one had to get the original files from somewhere
    How thick are you? Most tracks I liked in the past were never released as files so had to be ripped from vinyl by clowns who didn't know much about sound quality.
    No your trying to bate people by taking the piss out of the music they like.

Your a troll.
    You're a littel arsehole Mike so don't bother linking me to troll sites you sad cúnt.
    lol at phaetonman!!
    Laughing out loud and phaetonman. Are you lauging out loud at phaetonman? Where is the humour in this thread that is causing you to laugh out loud?

How thick are you? Most tracks I liked in the past were never released as files so had to be ripped from vinyl by clowns who didn't know much about sound quality.
    not once did you mention that you only liked old music.your talking on a thread about beatport so i logocally drew the conclusion you were pretty current on music.apparently not though
    stay in the past.as for being an arsehole,thats your opinion cool although i dont know how i became entangled in a bad rip comment.
    if you want old music use soulseek but you slagging off people for using beatport is retarded.
    i get my music anyway i can.dont really care where it comes from.
    jesus this is a moronic debate.
    typical irish,nothing good to say so they bash about pointless stuff:D

Sorry Sean that aresehole comment wasnt directed at you.

Actually that was pretty apparent from what I had posted so I stand by my fool comment.

You're a littel arsehole Mike so don't bother linking me to troll sites you sad cúnt.

Laughing out loud and phaetonman. Are you lauging out loud at phaetonman? Where is the humour in this thread that is causing you to laugh out loud?

So I take it you don't like any new music?

How often do you use the phrase 'back in the day'?

The humour is someone posting so vehemently and aggressive in a thread entitled 'beatport awards'.
    Not 'come all ye old folk, give abuse to the young ones!'

Sorry Sean that aresehole comment wasnt directed at you.

Actually that was pretty apparent from what I had posted so I stand by my fool comment.
    what fool comment.never saw any mention of the word fool.

ps this is the part where you go in and edit the word fool into one of the comments directed at me:)

• Advertisement

See Sean the bit were I alluded to your thickness? Sometimes people use the word fool for thick.
    I do but not too much electronic music. I find it hard to be listen to most of the music played in your average european club. I was in Cocoon a few months back and it was the worst **** imaginable.

See Sean the bit were I alluded to your thickness? Sometimes people use the word fool for thick.

ah yes but when you directly refer to the word fool(quote "i stand by my fool comment") it means you used it before.
    but and heres the the flawed part of your statement,you didnt.
    ah well at least were onto more educational topics.

i once said that as an act of kindness id read to the elderly,didnt think today id have to teach them proper phrasing.
    hope you enjoyed it.
    now wheres your slippers off to bed with you

Oh piss off you tedious cúnt.

Oh piss off you tedious cúnt.
    :D:D:D:D
    fantastic

ah yes but when you directly refer to the word fool(quote "i stand by my fool comment") it means you used it before.
    but and heres the the flawed part of your statement,you didnt.
    ah well at least were onto more educational topics.

i once said that as an act of kindness id read to the elderly,didnt think today id have to teach them proper phrasing.
    hope you enjoyed it.
    now wheres your slippers off to bed with you

:D

jtsuited wrote: »

How often do you use the phrase 'back in the day'?

The humour is someone posting so vehemently and aggressive in a thread entitled 'beatport awards'.
    Not 'come all ye old folk, give abuse to the young ones!'

wasn't it you who said i didn't like new dance music before :rolleyes: you don't even know me and come out with something like that, im as much into a lot of todays dance music as anyone is, just because my preference is for old skool means nothing.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Jaysus, this oul forum is becoming a rough place to post! Cool the jets ffs.

http://www.nlp.ie/Newsletter_Archives/Newsletter_Tips_2003/Anger_Management.html :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Phaetonman banned from Dance/Electronic&DJing for personal abuse.

Everyone else on the thread, please use the report post button.

And lets not turn this thread into a slagging match

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Phaetonman you have done little else but slag off and offend other people on this board, and I've seen more of the same on other boards.ie forums too. This is a very friendly helpful forum for people who like electronic music. If you don't like this type of music or what is being discussed here, I suggest you take your opinions elsewhere. If you have nothing positive or constructive to add to the discussion, I don't think anyone wants to hear what you have to say...

I don't think you're a troll, I just think you're................................

• Advertisement

jonny68 wrote: »
    wasn't it you who said i didn't like new dance music before :rolleyes: you don't even know me and come out with something like that, im as much into a lot of todays dance music as anyone is, just because my preference is for old skool means nothing.

woah woah woah jonny.

i don't wanna fight about anything, but my point was (in a different thread) that so much nostalgia for music that is long gone seemed odd in electronic music, an area so inherently progressive.

and then i pointed out how exhausting it is to hear people go on about how new music is sh1t and how 'back in the day' it was better. And i said that 'back in the day' was the most overused phrase ever.

And i think it was a fair presumption to make, given that you had posted a thread entitled 'recommended underground producers' but actually meant producers that are only doing music highly influenced/from the early 90's.

oh, that and your sig. and your opinion on minimal house/techno. and your comments on the sibin festival. and just you're general demeanour. A fair presumption to make i think most will agree.

Yeah but back in the day there was good music too :pac: Or should we dismiss that fact? I really am at a loss as to what your problem is with electronic music that was before your time; you seem to take issue anytime its mentioned.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Yeah but back in the day there was good music too :pac: Or should we dismiss that fact? I really am at a loss as to what your problem is with electronic music that was before your time; you seem to take issue anytime its mentioned.

no i don't take issue with it at all. i suppose it's the constant 'oldskool' noise of 'back in the day' etc. that makes me come across the way i do.

ok personally, i don't tend to like the early nineties stuff. I think that dance music only appealed to me over the past few years. I find most old stuff to be a little bit cheesy and predictable for my liking. but that's just my personal taste.

and absolutely it was before my time.
    However, surely harping on and on (ie. the asylum thread) about a very specific piece of music history (1988-1994ish) and not focusing on music in the present is a very limited way to enjoy music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Juan atkins ,carl cox and the likes of primal scream are all still great to listen to.

no i don't take issue with it at all. i suppose it's the constant 'oldskool' noise of 'back in the day' etc. that makes me come across the way i do.

ok personally, i don't tend to like the early nineties stuff. I think that dance music only appealed to me over the past few years. I find most old stuff to be a little bit cheesy and predictable for my liking. but that's just my personal taste.

and absolutely it was before my time.
    However, surely harping on and on (ie. the asylum thread) about a very specific piece of music history (1988-1994ish) and not focusing on music in the present is a very limited way to enjoy music.

Starting with your last point, surely the popularity of the Asylum thread speaks for itself in terms of the impact that period had on a lot of people? I don't know of any other thread that has the length or longevity of that thread in this forum. Also there was so much being produced around that time between a variety of genres that personally I am still catching up with, along with current music too. Good music is good music, regardless of when it's made.

I sincerely doubt you know enough about early 90's electronic music to label it cheesy and predictable, that is an absolutely ignorant statement to make and you really should listen to more of what made electronic music what it is today before you form an ill-informed opinion like that.

Starting with your last point, surely the popularity of the Asylum thread speaks for itself in terms of the impact that period had on a lot of people? I don't know of any other thread that has the length or longevity of that thread in this forum. Also there was so much being produced around that time between a variety of genres that personally I am still catching up with, along with current music too. Good music is good music, regardless of when it's made.

I sincerely doubt you know enough about early 90's electronic music to label it cheesy and predictable, that is an absolutely ignorant statement to make and you really should listen to more of what made electronic music what it is today before you form an ill-informed opinion like that.

i said i find it cheesy and predictable. i wasn't labelling it objectively.
    So I'm not allowed to have an opinion?
    I also said but that's just my personal taste

So if you are going to accuse me of making 'absolutely ignorant statements' you should probably check that it's actually an objective statement that i made and not a personal preference/taste/opinion prefaced with 'ok personally i find' and 'that's just my personal taste'.

• Advertisement

i said i find it cheesy and predictable. i wasn't labelling it objectively.
    So I'm not allowed to have an opinion?
    I also said but that's just my personal taste

So if you are going to accuse me of making 'absolutely ignorant statements' you should probably check that it's actually an objective statement that i made and not a personal preference/taste/opinion prefaced with 'ok personally i find' and 'that's just my personal taste'.

I understand that, the part that I would be confident about is your lack of knowledge of that period to form this opion. There are vast amounts of electronic music from 'back in the day' and my issue is your comment on it being all 'cheesy and predictable', there was plenty of cheese then as there is now, but equally lots of amazing music... regardless of being a personal opinion, you should delve a bit more into something before calling it all cheese - that I would deem to be ignorant, but its just a personal opinion :pac:

And of course you are allowed have an opinion, thats the beauty of public forums. Just as if the majority here want to discuss 'back in the day' and the Asylum etc, they are quite entitled to do so - if you don't like that aspect, don't read it. Why don't you drop into the Asylum thread and voice your opinion there? I'm sure you could spark a good debate.

Anyway, goodnight for now! ;)

I understand that, the part that I would be confident about is your lack of knowledge of that period to form this opion. There are vast amounts of electronic music from 'back in the day' and my issue is your comment on it being all 'cheesy and predictable', there was plenty of cheese then as there is now, but equally lots of amazing music... regardless of being a personal opinion, you should delve a bit more into something before calling it all cheese - that I would deem to be ignorant, but its just a personal opinion :pac:

ok hold on. the music that is referenced around here by the 'oldskoolers' I find cheesy and predictable.
    I am not saying all electronic music from 'back in the day' is cheesy and predictable. I'm actually referring to the music I've heard mentioned in the asylum threads etc.

And to say personally i find most of x to be predictable and cheesy is certainly not ignorant. Even if you do deem it so.

If I said x is cheesy and predictable. That is ignorant as i am ignorant of the knowledge sufficient to make such a concrete statement.

woah woah woah jonny.

i don't wanna fight about anything, but my point was (in a different thread) that so much nostalgia for music that is long gone seemed odd in electronic music, an area so inherently progressive.

and then i pointed out how exhausting it is to hear people go on about how new music is sh1t and how 'back in the day' it was better. And i said that 'back in the day' was the most overused phrase ever.

And i think it was a fair presumption to make, given that you had posted a thread entitled 'recommended underground producers' but actually meant producers that are only doing music highly influenced/from the early 90's.

oh, that and your sig. and your opinion on minimal house/techno. and your comments on the sibin festival. and just you're general demeanour. A fair presumption to make i think most will agree.

A lot of new music is sh*t, then again some older stuff is too, recommended underground producers is exactly what i meant,UNDERGROUND, Hardcore Breaks is an underground scene regardless if the music is inspired by UK Hardcore from 91-93, it's brand new and quality music,i couldn't be bothered with "corporate clubs" the Ministry of sounds,etc of this world,give me a warehouse party anyday, and if you wish i can also recommend some underground House artists just so you don't think im into HCB.

My signature, what is wrong with it, this is in fact the 20th anniversary of Acid House, you might do well to remember that there would be no dance music scene today only for Acid House, it wasn't just music, it was a completely new scene and became a way of life for many millions of people, then again you've never experienced it so cant really understand the whole concept of it and feel it's better to just slag it off.

So i don't like minimal, in fact i think it's dreadful boring music, i like many other genres of dance music today, most notably funky and disco house which im big into, also Drum & Bass/Breakbeat and some Techno and Prog House.

comments on Sibin Festival, what are you about, i had a very good time at the Sibin Festival?

jonny68 wrote: »
    A lot of new music is sh*t, then again some older stuff is too, recommended underground producers is exactly what i meant,UNDERGROUND, Hardcore Breaks is an underground scene regardless if the music is inspired by UK Hardcore from 91-93, it's brand new and quality music,i couldn't be bothered with "corporate clubs" the Ministry of sounds,etc of this world,give me a warehouse party anyday, and if you wish i can also recommend some underground House artists just so you don't think im into HCB.

My signature, what is wrong with it, this is in fact the 20th anniversary of Acid House, you might do well to remember that there would be no dance music scene today only for Acid House, it wasn't just music, it was a completely new scene and became a way of life for many millions of people, then again you've never experienced it so cant really understand the whole concept of it and feel it's better to just slag it off.

So i don't like minimal, in fact i think it's dreadful boring music, i like many other genres of dance music today, most notably funky and disco house which im big into, also Drum & Bass/Breakbeat and some Techno and Prog House.

comments on Sibin Festival, what are you about, i had a very good time at the Sibin Festival?

'dubstep which is dreadful i may add'

i'm not slaggin off acid house. i'm 'slaggin off' people like yourself who spend far time talking about music of the past (from a very specific time) than about music in the present.

So i don't like dubstep, that doesn't mean i was slagging off the whole festival does it, the Drum & Bass marquee was rocking i thought.

Look through my posts and come back to me and then try and say i spend all my time talking about Acid House, that is nonsense, in most of the recent threads ive started on here ive discussed todays dance music and events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Kali135

'dubstep which is dreadful i may add'

i'm not slaggin off acid house. i'm 'slaggin off' people like yourself who spend far time talking about music of the past (from a very specific time) than about music in the present.

sounds like you could do with a few.....mad bastards....or is that what your on?:eek:

not adding fuel to the fire but if hardcore breaks(****ing ridiculous genre names) went mainstream and was in the charts would you shun it.
    undergroud isnt unsigned artist.
    unsigned artists are unsigned for a reason,there not good enough to be signed.nothing really underground about it
    yo may like there stuff but it doesnt automatically make it underground,even the underground has record labels

not adding fuel to the fire but if hardcore breaks(****ing ridiculous genre names) went mainstream and was in the charts would you shun it.
    undergroud isnt unsigned artist.
    unsigned artists are unsigned for a reason,there not good enough to be signed.nothing really underground about it
    yo may like there stuff but it doesnt automatically make it underground,even the underground has record labels

The major labels wouldn't want to sign a HCB artist because it's not commercially friendly and only appeals to a certain audience, the same could've been said about Rave back in the day but when it started getting popular (remember it was a new thing back then) they were all over it like a rash ( think the Prodigy)but times are different now but that doesn't mean some of these artists are not good enoughn to get a record deal, many do have record deals but small independent labels, underground is exactly what it means, not played in mainstream dance clubs like Pacha London or MOS,mostly played at Raves and Warehouse partys, i wouldn't particulary like it if HCB was to go all commercial just like i didn't when Rave/Hardcore did in 1991, just this time i don't think it will,times are different.

yeah but if there are small independent labels,it does mean there not good enough to get signed.like i said unsigned does not immediately make it underground. you may like there tracks but there could be something wrong with them from a production point of view which is stopping them getting signed.
    as for it getting popular,never say never.no one can predict what way things will swing.although personally i dont find anything exciting about the genre you just dont know whatll catch on.
    its actually not required to be signed to a major label any more to get your music out.good music will always shine through and this is part of the reason i think hb is where it is,theres really nothing fantastic about it.(personal opinion)
    prodigy on the other hand was an incredibly talented group of people(albeit howlett was the brains)which couldnt be ignored,not sure it was prely because rave was becoming popular.they did help in making it so

ok hold on. the music that is referenced around here by the 'oldskoolers' I find cheesy and predictable.
    I am not saying all electronic music from 'back in the day' is cheesy and predictable. I'm actually referring to the music I've heard mentioned in the asylum threads etc.

And to say personally i find most of x to be predictable and cheesy is certainly not ignorant. Even if you do deem it so.

If I said x is cheesy and predictable. That is ignorant as i am ignorant of the knowledge sufficient to make such a concrete statement.

And there you have the difference. If you find some of the music from 'back in the day' (think I'll make that my new sig :D ) to be cheesy and predictable fine, my issue was your previous more general statement. And again, had it been as I had previously thought, you would indeed have been ignorant :pac:

(think I'll make that my new sig :D )
    damn you
    *shakes fist*

No reversing it now!

Till another thread that has nothing to do with oldskool vs new (skool!) :D

Advertisement