Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa Romeo 156 - Any Use?

Options
  • 06-05-2008 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im considering buying an Alfa Romeo 156 (2002), €3-4k. They seem to be
    good value.

Can anyone advise whether they are a worthwhile purchase. Ive been warned that parts are costly and from searching, used Alfas seem to be selling very cheaply, is there a reason for this.

Any advice is appreciated as I havent a clue.

Cheers,

S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Plenty of 156 threads here, do a quick search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭kyote00

many, many other threads on this subject which usually degrade into farce....

Summary points:

- if you get a well maintained one and are willing to fastidiously service it then go ahead....

- Common failure points are:
    - maf sensor
    - front wishbones
    - variator
    - airbag ecus
    - timing belts every 40k

- loads on the market now so shop around and get a good one that has been properly looked after....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Also if you buy one thats been rebuilt after the T-belt let go, then you will have crankshaft bearing problems in the not to distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Funny for me that you post this today.... I just seen one burst into flames while idling at traffic lights in Clonskeagh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Friend of mine nearly bought a lovely one, 1.8, full service history etc. The only problem with it was it had a rough idle on startup - turned out (after talking to a mechanic) that the head gasket was gone, fairly common complaint on that engine apparently. Pity because the rest of the car was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Hi,

Im considering buying an Alfa Romeo 156 (2002), €3-4k. They seem to be
    good value.

Can anyone advise whether they are a worthwhile purchase. Ive been warned that parts are costly and from searching, used Alfas seem to be selling very cheaply, is there a reason for this.

Any advice is appreciated as I havent a clue.

Cheers,

S.

Thats a good price for a '02 plate

You have a link to the ad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I have a 156, nice car to drive but..

(I won't cover the mechanics here, the forum is full of that info).

They have hard any boot space worth talking about, no storage space in the interior cabin. Get good tyres because its a fast car and the steering is a little on the light side, its very easy to slide the front on cheaper tyres.

I've had no trouble with mine, serviced as recommended and changed the timing belt at 40k.

Oh, and if your going to carry adults in the back, forget about it, there's no head room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Great car, love my one. However, they are an enthusiasts car. IE, you will need to look under the bonnet every week or so to check oil, and know how to top it up, and it needs to be serviced regularly(esp timing belts). This is not a toyota corolla you just look under the bonnet every 10K miles. They are a fun car, look great, and make you smile every time you drive it though!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Ferris wrote: »
    ..turned out (after talking to a mechanic) that the head gasket was gone, fairly common complaint on that engine apparently. Pity because the rest of the car was perfect.

Nope, not common at all actually.

Alfa156.net - lots of good info on pros and cons from actual owners.

Not people who once lived next door to someone who had an aunt who's best friend down the bingo once had one and it was crap...

Advertisement