Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grants for MA Students?

Options
  • 06-05-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Am looking to return to college to do a Masters (taught).

I have tried to contact the local VEC/Co/Co but no luck (they must be up the walls). So my question is, are MA students able to get a grant? Can you work part-time and claim the grant? I am 29 YO and work full-time at the moment.

Comments

Hey dellas1979,

In order to avail of a grant you must be studying full-time, so I assume that you would be doing a full-time MA. So yes, you may be eligible for a grant! You can work part-time and claim the grant, but you should be careful that you don't go over the income level. Keep in mind that whatever you are earning now will be taken as 0 if you leave your job, since you would technically be going through a 'change in circumstances'.

There are a few links in my signature which you might find handy.

If I'm talking with too much jargin, or if there's anything else you need to know feel free to ask :)

Dónal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Thanks Myth.

I actually got a response from the grant authority yesterday evening after 2 weeks.

They said that full time you would be entitled to something, but that you have to be seeing as "progressing".

Now, Ive never claimed a grant (I worked all though college) and after my BA I went on to do a Grad-Dip - just for something to do really. Bad choice now I think as the grant authority said that an MA is a level 9 and a Grad-Dip is a level 9. I am trying to clarify this with the University I went to at the moment as some colleges define Grad-Dips as Level 8 also.

Am hoping......

Advertisement