Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyoza skins

Options
  • 06-05-2008 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Have been looking for gyoza skins (japanese dumplings). Ended up with chinese dumpling skins which are too thick and doughy, gyoza skins are thinner. Tried Oriental Emporium on George's st and Asian market behind it - anyone know where I'll definitely get them to save me going on a tour or every single Asian food shop in Dublin? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Hi
    They're definatly in the Asian market at the back of George's street, I buy them there all the time.
    They're in the freezer section though - did you try there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭fourmations

+1 on asia market,

they have been there in the freezer every time i've been there

gzoyas are yummy but a real pain in the ass to make

if you are unsure how to make them i can fill you in
    (they are fried and steamed)

a good trick if you have a pasta machine
    is to use very thin pasta sheets,
    boil them like a regular stuffed pasta
    drain well, then brown on the pan

rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I get them in the asian market just behind the Jervis centre, also in the frozen section. I think the last pack I got had 500 skin in them so still have a load in the freezer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 katecarbery

Thanks for the answers...maybe I need to look harder as I was in the shop on and behind George's st but they were all out - might try the jervis - thanks! Am ok for how to make ta, used the wagamamma book - jesus, they were gorgeous, even with the dumpling skins. Thanks a mill. K

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Gyoza are chinese dumplings...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 katecarbery

'jiaozi' is the chinese name - gyoza is the japanese version in fact. Normally much thinner skins than the chinese version. :p

But I'm not going to argue with you about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anonimouse

Oh great, I've wanted to make gyoza since I got the Wagamamma cook book :cool: I wish I had known today though, I was in that area for most of the day today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Burko

Gyoza originated in China, they are the same thing as Chao Jiaozi or guotie.
    There are many different types with different thickness of skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 WexTex

I'm looking for them too. Not in Dublin, though. The fact that they're in the freezer section explains why I haven't found them online!

Never made them, eaten plenty though and made the sauce.

Thanks for the info. Here's hopin' I get some next time Im in Dublin!

Advertisement