Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Own Up! Who did this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

If I could get with without the Eircom logo like the players Id wear one
    as for the no celtic jerseys rule I dislike celtic as much as most on here but people should be able to wear what they want to games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Signed.

I hate seeing any club jersies at international football, not just foreign ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Wasn''t myself, but i'd happily take credit for it if it was. Can't stand the Kell-tick brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Until the sponsor goes on the replica shirts I'll be wearing my Ireland tracksuit top (well, whenever I get home that is).

Down with the Sell-Thick brigade anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Can't beat ignorant Celtic bashing :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Wasnt me...but i agree with it.

I wouldnt wear a gers top to a scotland game.
    I wouldnt wear a Finn Harps top to an ireland game.
    And theyre teams from the same country.

I certainly wouldnt wear a foreign teams top to a national game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Its blocked out here( at work) take it its a ban on wearing english/scottish club jerseys to ireland matches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

DesF wrote: »
    Signed.

I hate seeing any club jersies at international football, not just foreign ones.

Really? You wouldn't wear a shels top?

Its clearly someone on a wind up, but I have no objection to anyone brightnening the place up with green and white shirts of any persuasion.

Why not pick on the red and blue foreign shirts that get worn before picking on the green and white ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

gucci wrote: »
    Its blocked out here( at work) take it its a ban on wearing english/scottish club jerseys to ireland matches?

Just Celtic.

Really? You wouldn't wear a shels top?
    If I ever start going to Oirland games again, I wouldn't be wearing a Shels jersey, no.
    Its clearly someone on a wind up, but I have no objection to anyone brightnening the place up with green and white shirts of any persuasion.

Why not pick on the red and blue foreign shirts that get worn before picking on the green and white ones?
    Meh, all the same to me. ManYoo, Liverpool, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Celtic, Rangers, Bayern Munich, Cameroon, Sparta Prague.

All foreign teams.

What will be really hilarious is when these Home Internationals start again, and there are numpties in the stands, "supporting" Ireland against Scotland, but wearing a Celtic jersey.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »

What will be really hilarious is when these Home Internationals start again, and there are numpties in the stands, "supporting" Ireland against Scotland, but wearing a Celtic jersey.

And many of them will be Scottish.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

OhNoIDidnt
    We, the signatories of this petition, are requesting that Football Association of Ireland ask fans of the Republic to only wear the Republic of Ireland shirts and regalia at
    international matches.

Why do some fans wear the shirts of a foreign team at Ireland football matches? Are they ashamed of the Irish jersey? I'd imagine that if someone turned up at an England match in a Barcelona shirt, they'd be laughed at by all the other fans. Similarly, if some supporter of les bleus was seen sporting a Bayern Munich or Ajax jersey at a match involving France, he'd be treated with the appropriate contempt.

So why should some Irish fans be different? I'm referring of course to those fans who wear Glasgow Celtic shirts at Republic of Ireland matches. Glasgow Celtic is a Scottish team with some obsolete links to Ireland that are no longer relevant. That in itself would be of little consequence were it not for the fact that Glasgow Celtic's fans comprise one half of a low level Catholic versus Protestant bigotry that has been rumbling in Scottish
    society for centuries.

Given the history of this country and island, it should be obvious that any association between Irishness and either side in this sectarianism would be very prejudicial to support levels for the team. There is a well documented
    problem in Northern Ireland where Roman Catholics don't feel welcome at Windsor Park. We don't need to have the same problem down here where the Republic of Ireland team becomes identified with Catholicism. So I'm calling
    on the Football Association of Ireland to respectfully ask fans of the Republic

for whoever cant see it.

kdjac

Imagine the cheek of some people wearing a jersey from a club started by a Sligo priest to help Irish emigrants abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Imagine the cheek of some people wearing a jersey from a club started by a Sligo priest to help Irish emigrants abroad.

Who I am sure would be turning in his grave if he saw some of the type of people who 'support' his club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Signed up myself..

Who I am sure would be turning in his grave if he saw some of the type of people who 'support' his club.

Just one "for instance"

http://bifsniff.com/wp-content/files/2007/02/mail.jpg

And another

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/b/b7/Skanger.jpg/225px-Skanger.jpg

.......and then sold to publicans less than a year later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

That picture never gets old! Its because of shams like him that celtic tops cant be worn anywhere outside parkhead, never mind to ireland games!

Get the fuccck would ya. Wear the hoops with pride - as the song goes If ya know your history - and u obviously dont!
    If anyone else signs this petition, we'll use the IP address to find out who they are. You have been warned. Signed... The IRA. We haven't gone away you know.

Do I ROFL or shake my head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Hate seeing Celtic jerseys at Ireland games too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So you would have no problem if I turned up to the next Ireland match:

- wearing my Panitanikos jersey;
    - my notre dame football jersies or hoodies;
    - my Boston Celtics jersey;

all sporting institutions with some tenuous link to the idea of Irishness and modern Ireland. Or would you find some of the above a little strange?

Wearing no jersey is better than a celtic jersey imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Wearing no jersey is the way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Signed it myself. Although I'm a bit of a hypocrite as I wear my Shels jersey to matches since last summer as now some Portguese scumbag has my Ireland jersey.:mad: But I suppose wearing a Shels jersey isn't half as bad as a Man U, Liverpool, Celtic, etc... jerseries.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So you would have no problem if I turned up to the next Ireland match:

- wearing my Panitanikos jersey;
    - my notre dame football jersies or hoodies;
    - my Boston Celtics jersey;

all sporting institutions with some tenuous link to the idea of Irishness and modern Ireland. Or would you find some of the above a little strange?

Wearing no jersey is better than a celtic jersey imo.

Nope I'd have no problem at all. In fact anyone wearing anything green to support there country is fine with me.

do you think the players look at the crowd and say, look that lad is wearing a green jumper, i must try harder?!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    do you think the players look at the crowd and say, look that lad is wearing a green jumper, i must try harder?!
    lol

Nope I'd have no problem at all. In fact anyone wearing anything green to support there country is fine with me.

That's ridiculous. So a person wearing a Boston Celtics top is supporting their country more than the lad in the Bohs jersey?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. So a person wearing a Boston Celtics top is supporting their country more than the lad in the Bohs jersey?

I do to an extent agree with what CC is saying in terms of colour.
    Its always a better spectacle when the crowd is decked out in the teams colours.

So were going down the "who supports there country more" road are we :rolleyes:

The more people at games supporting Ireland the better, regardless of what there wearing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Until the sponsor goes on the replica shirts I'll be wearing my Ireland tracksuit top (well, whenever I get home that is).

I always wear my Rovers shirt to Ireland games and will continue to do so until I can buy an Ireland jersey without an eircom logo.-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The more people at games supporting Ireland the better, regardless of what there wearing

You won't be saying that when you have to sit next to someone in the nip at Croke Park.:D

The thing about wearing a Bohs/Shels/Pats jersey is that none of the players would recognise it.

And they'd just think a Rovers one is Celtic :pac:

Nope not at all. eL jerseys of any kind are at least relative to the game at hand, Boston Celtic singlets are not.

No arguments there in principal but really there is no place for Man. United jerseys at an Ireland game.
    I always wear my Rovers shirt to Ireland games and will continue to do so until I can buy an Ireland jersey without an eircom logo.-

Personally I don't see any problem with wearing eL jerseys as an alternative to the sponsored Irish jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well if I paid 80 quid for any jersey coupled with the cost rapeage of bringing myself and a couple of young fellas to a game then You are more than welcome to approach me in the ground and have ago at my attire.

Who knows, you could start a thread the following week on how many replica shirts you counted in casualty! :)

Anyone who thinks wearing the jersey of a foreign club is in ANY way "supporting" Oirland is delusional, and a product of corporate brainwashing.

Any jersey for that matter.

There were no replica jersies in the 60s/70s, and teams had just as good support back then as they do now.

No folks, a jersey or "colours" is not a pre-requisite to supporting a team.

Myself? I wear a couple of Shels Pin-Badges on the collar of my jacket. I do own a Shles jersey or two, but I don't religiously buy one every time a new one is launched.

And a scarf for the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Jesus, isn't it enough to worry about supporting the team then having to deal with FAI-fashion Nazi's?

I say where whatever you like to an international match, if it's green, all the better.

blow up hammers and leprecaun hats are also essential.

This is Des before the last game at Landsdowne. FACT.

http://users.ca.astound.net/bdeal/halloween/2006/Halloween2006_Leprechaun.jpg

blow up hammers and leprecaun hats are also essential.

This is Des before the last game at Landsdowne. FACT.

http://users.ca.astound.net/bdeal/halloween/2006/Halloween2006_Leprechaun.jpg
    True, and this is me when I was a baby.

I started young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Looks like a good marketing scam to sell a few more replica shirts in order to pay half of trapp's wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

More classic drivel from Mr Alan :rolleyes: Do you think they look and see someone wearing a Celtic jersey and say "look at that lad wearing a Celtic jersey, i must try less hard"?
    The point he was tryng to make is that anything green adds to the spectacle and gives the stadium a better look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I do agree to an extent that wearing green adds to the spectacle of the crowd, but i wouldnt like anybody to think the were giving any more support by wearing a Celtic jersey. It bears as little relevence to the FAI and irish soccer as some random nike or reebok sweater or tshirt etc. I think most peoples problem with it is not the fact that somebody is wearing one to an Ireland match, its the slightly deluded notion inside that persons head that....

Celtic=Irish
    Me wearing Celtic jersey=Me more Irish than you:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well, I do agree that anyone who wants to turn up and give some passionate support should be welcomed irrespective of what they want to wear. And so long as you are happy that a top with a bit of green on it is why you wear a celtic jersey rather than it being any sort of an Irish national representative singlet then I can't really argue.

Fair enough.

fullstop wrote: »
    More classic drivel from Mr Alan :rolleyes: Do you think they look and see someone wearing a Celtic jersey and say "look at that lad wearing a Celtic jersey, i must try less hard"?

No. I think they couldnt give a ****.
    fullstop wrote: »
    The point he was tryng to make is that anything green adds to the spectacle and gives the stadium a better look.

So wat? surely an atmosphere is more important that how things "look"

Do you think people arrive at fenerbache, besiktas, san siro etc and say, "jaysus lads! they're not even wearing replica kits! this is gonna be a walk in the park!"

Doubt it.

Too many people at Irish matches who confuse acting a fool and dressing like a tit, with creating an atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

So do you think that by banning celtic shirts it will create a better atmosphere? I would bet serious money that it wouldnt.

If you ban celtic shirts and presumably scarves etc then the likelihood is the spectacle won't be just as intimidating for opposition teams.

As Raskolnikov said, wear whatever the heck you want. If its green its a plus.

Personally I dont give a sh1t if you wear an LOI team shirt, a celtic shirt, or a ROI replica. It doenst make you a better supporter what you wear.

I think the person who came up with the idea could have spent his/her time coming up with something CONstructive rather than DEstructive i.e. chants/songs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I don't mind the wearing of anything green , just don't like the fact that the Celtic shirt is being worn as some de facto Ireland shirt

tbh, i probably shouldnt have gotten involved in this debate cause its not something i particularly care about. i'll bow out now. apologies for any offence caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Definitely am signing. As stated, Celtic aren't Irish. I'll wear my Shels jersey with pride though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is absurd in my opinion. The Celtic strip is green and I see no reason in stopping people from wearing it. I've seen people wear green Gaelic football shirts to Ireland matches too. Ban the bastards. :rolleyes:

I'd be more concerned about stamping out the Provo chants that you hear some fans engaging in.

I'd be more concerned about stamping out the Provo chants that you hear some fans engaging in.
    +1, the addition of the "Sinn Fein/IRA" part to a certain song, usually by Celtic-jersey "Éire 32" bedraggled, furry mustache sporting, Dutch Gold swigging, sovereign ring wearing imbeciles, should be a capital offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

stooge wrote: »
    So do you think that by banning celtic shirts it will create a better atmosphere? I would bet serious money that it wouldnt.

If you ban celtic shirts and presumably scarves etc then the likelihood is the spectacle won't be just as intimidating for opposition teams.

As Raskolnikov said, wear whatever the heck you want. If its green its a plus.

Personally I dont give a sh1t if you wear an LOI team shirt, a celtic shirt, or a ROI replica. It doenst make you a better supporter what you wear.

I think the person who came up with the idea could have spent his/her time coming up with something CONstructive rather than DEstructive i.e. chants/songs etc.

we need to start doing what Italy do and use pop songs and manipulate them into a killer chant. Pardon the pun...*coughs* thankyou, thankyou very much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement