Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Own Up! Who did this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Yep, just what boards needed, another Celtic bashing thread. Do you guys ever tire of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Eh a Celtic fan made this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Yep, just what boards needed, another Celtic bashing thread. Do you guys ever tire of it?

Nope! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I would like to think next time im at an Ireland game maybe wearing something smarter then a football shirt is in order, why not wear something smart with a Green scarf, wearing a jersey with Eircom plastered across is kind of naff, nevermind someone wearing Carling across their chest.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Well said.

They don't obviously, and they sign the petition like sheep. Some, not all, on here actually think that's a genuine petition. :D
    That in itself would be of little consequence were it not for the fact that Glasgow Celtic's fans comprise one half of a low level Catholic versus Protestant bigotry that has been rumbling in Scottish
    society for centuries.

:D LOL.

Think I'll setup a petition for me to be President. Half of the clowns on here would probably sign it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PauloMN wrote: »

Think I'll setup a petition for me to be President. Half of the clowns on here would probably sign it. :rolleyes:

Where do i sign!?

oh......right.....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Petitions always work:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

DSB wrote: »
    Eh a Celtic fan made this thread.

Thinking that there was enough wit on here to realise that it was a clear piss take.

My mistake. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I can see what he's getting at with the whole Celtic thing. The 'your not Irish unless you support Celtic' thing really gets to me and those who support say Liverpool & Celtic but its ok because their Irish.

I really hope rangers do the treble (I use this phrase lightly) this year not because I particularly like them or anything but it might shut those Celtic fans up for a bit.

Anyway rant over I think Celtic jerseys and only Celtic jerseys should be banned from Ireland matches :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Unearthly wrote: »
    Petitions always work:rolleyes:

im only commenting now because i never realised mike waichoski :rolleyes::rolleyes: was added to the forum, or is it because im using a foreign computer, and the rolleyes are coming up different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

While Id always wear the green to an Ireland match I see wearing a Celtic jersey as the lesser of alot of evils. Is wearing a Celtic jersey somehow less Irish than someone going to a match wearing no jersey whatsoever? It may not have occured to you that for various reasons alot of people in this country dont have 45 euro handy to shell out for Ireland gear. Is wearing a Celtic jersey someone got them as a birthday present such a crime? I back any club on the scene abroad with a strong Irish connection, be it EL in Europe, Celtic or Sunderland *attatches flame retardant*

Can't beat ignorant Celtic bashing :rolleyes:

Indeed. Some people really need to get over themselves. Like the UEFA cup thread, people "supporting" Gers more to get down the neck of the bleedin marrouveh rapih fookin knackers (dozens of whom of course post on this forum, well done lads :rolleyes: ) than their actual liking of Gers or their players/manager. I met alot of bang on Gers supporters in Glasgow. It doesnt excuse the fact that a large minority of their supporters despise us, so giving them backing isnt something I would do (much the same way as alot of sound bang on people turn into completely dillusional ignorant so and sos when it comes to supporting Man U, advocating everything from players diving to supporting fans throwing objects at oppostion keepers. The all too common transformation being the primary reason I have despised Man U since I was about 9 or 10)

Im sure the fairweather Gers fans would go down a stormer if they walked into a pub on the Shankill to watch a game of their most beloved SPL side. Get a grip.

I presume these people would rather see the skangers in Celtic jerseys turn up at Dublin EL matches instead. If they did Ireland could give Stoke and Millwall firms a run for their money. ****ing ridicilous. Celtic is, as Billy McNeill said, an Irish club that plays in Scotland. Get over the ****ing chip in the shoulder ffs :confused: (and Im not even a Celtic fan. I back them in Europe and like to see them do well re McGeady, but ffs like :rolleyes:)

Hmm, I miss the old rolleyes smiley,.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Whats wrong with cheering the Gers in Europe against unfamiliar opposition and being the Underdog (against Fiorentina anyway)? let go of the politics people, dont get involved

Whats wrong with cheering the Gers in Europe against unfamiliar opposition and being the Underdog (against Fiorentina anyway)? let go of the politics people, dont get involved

But you are getting involved....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

TBH I really don't see this as a Celtic bashing thread. The point that was being made both here and in the petition is that no jerseys of ANY kind other than Ireland should be worn to an international game. Unfortunately once again it has been brought back to Celtic but I would put them in the same category as United, Liverpool, Milan, Barcelona etc etc when it comes to an Ireland game.

Celtic, apart from Darren O'Dea and Aiden McGeady, don't actually have anything to do with Ireland, in fact it could even be argued that wearing a Sunderland or Wolves jersey would make more sense considering how many Irish players play for them. As far as I'm concerned this has nothing to do with Celtic Football Club specifically but everything to do with 'outsider' jerseys as a whole.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i tend to try and find something green thats about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Where's the thread banning Irish flags from Celtic matches?..:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Predhead wrote: »

They are banned from the Brandywell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I never wear jerseys to club or international matches, just a scarf usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Predhead wrote: »

I like it.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Does it matter as long as it's green?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

not sure id really care all that much if i was at an "Oirland" match and i saw someone wearing a club jersey. im not some sort of thought police

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sherifu wrote: »
    Does it matter as long as it's green?
    Does it matter if it's not green?

I wear a black coat most of the time.

Although, I do try to sing, but the last time I tried to sing/chant at a Oirland game I was told to STFU and sit the fúck down by some clown in a green jumper.

Wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

DesF wrote: »
    Does it matter if it's not green?
    Nope, Green or casual wear acceptable. GAA or Rugby jerseys should be a no.

Green helps though. Nothing like seeing a stadium of green imo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Although, I do try to sing, but the last time I tried to sing/chant at a Oirland game I was told to STFU and sit the fúck down by some clown in a green jumper.

Wanker.

Serves you right for singing Billy Boys at an Ireland game.

Serves you right for singing Billy Boys at an Ireland game.
    It was The Sash actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I can't stand people supporting Celtic because they're "Irish".

No they're not, they're Scottish.

As for the Rangers thing, it's in Celtics best interests for Rangers to win the UEFA cup now as a Scottish club winning the trophy benefits the SPL in regards to European places and seeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Wanker.
    Was it not "We all dream of a team of Gary Breens?" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I can't stand people supporting Celtic because they're "Irish".
    Task - Get a tape recorder and video camera for proof that these people exist. I can't stand people who dislike Celtic supporters because they think they support Celtic because they're "Irish".

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Task - Get a tape recorder and video camera for proof that these people exist. I can't stand people who dislike Celtic supporters because they think they support Celtic because they're "Irish".

I never said I dislike Celtic supporters, just Celtic supporters who support them because they claim that Celtic is an Irish club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

shane86 wrote: »
    I back any club on the scene abroad with a strong Irish connection, be it EL in Europe, Celtic or Sunderland *attatches flame retardant*
    The strong Irish connection there being that they are actually Irish

• Advertisement

I never said I dislike Celtic supporters, just Celtic supporters who support them because they claim that Celtic is an Irish club.

How many people have you met that have claimed Celtic is an Irish club. I've never in all my years come across anyone to claim that, where are they all hiding?

Maybe they only talk such ****e to Eircom League supporters. :rolleyes:

My brother and most of his mates for several examples.

There are thousands more who believe this too.

shane86 wrote: »
    Celtic is, as Billy McNeill said, an Irish club that plays in Scotland.

How many people have you met that have claimed Celtic is an Irish club. I've never in all my years come across anyone to claim that, where are they all hiding?

Maybe they only talk such ****e to Eircom League supporters. :rolleyes:

Not at all. To be fair there are a few lads from Derry on my team here who have tatoos of Irish flags that incorporate Celtic crests on the white part. I've seen plenty of them back in Dublin too. It does happen.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Not at all. To be fair there are a few lads from Derry on my team here who have tatoos of Irish flags that incorporate Celtic crests on the white part. I've seen plenty of them back in Dublin too. It does happen.

That's not saying "Celtic are Irish" though. Celtic have a strong Irish connection by virtue of the fact they were founded by an Irish Brother from Sligo, and those that they helped were mainly Irish immigrants. They are a Scottish club.

That's not saying "Celtic are Irish" though. Celtic have a strong Irish connection by virtue of the fact they were founded by an Irish Brother from Sligo, and those that they helped were mainly Irish immigrants. They are a Scottish club.

Ah now to be fair that's splitting hairs. You're telling me that Anto and Jonner would still support Celtic if they thought they were just a Scottish club?

The Sell-Thick brigade don't care about the foundations of the club or where they came from really. They jump on a bandwagon with their mates at school and wear the jersey as part of a uniform along with 90 degree hats, tracksuit bottoms and Nike Air Tailwinds. It's a harsh reality that I hate because it gives the true fans a bad name. Ask any of them why they support Celtic and I'd say 95% will say it's because they're the Irish club of Scotland.

Ah now to be fair that's splitting hairs. You're telling me that Anto and Jonner would still support Celtic if they thought they were just a Scottish club?

The Sell-Thick brigade don't care about the foundations of the club or where they came from really. They jump on a bandwagon with their mates at school and wear the jersey as part of a uniform along with 90 degree hats, tracksuit bottoms and Nike Air Tailwinds. It's a harsh reality that I hate because it gives the true fans a bad name. Ask any of them why they support Celtic and I'd say 95% will say it's because they're the Irish club of Scotland.

I don't care who Anto and Jonner support, or for what reason. I'm telling you:
    - Celtic are Scottish with Irish connection.
    - I honestly have never heard anyone claim that Celtic are an Irish club.

People jump on bandwagons all the time. Look at the support for Utd in Ireland, and tell me there's not a huge number of bandwagon jumpers among their support. But who cares? If you're happy to support who you support for whatever reason, what does it matter?

I only put my point across here because it seems that many threads that start discussing Rangers, or Celtic, or Scottish football end up with Celtic bashing. And don't try to tell me that's not the case. I cannot understand the reason for it, but it's definitely not the "in thing" to support Celtic around these parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Were Celtic not set up by a charity setup by an Irish Priest?

I don't care who Anto and Jonner support, or for what reason. I'm telling you:
    - Celtic are Scottish with Irish connection.
    - I honestly have never heard anyone claim that Celtic are an Irish club.

People jump on bandwagons all the time. Look at the support for Utd in Ireland, and tell me there's not a huge number of bandwagon jumpers among their support. But who cares? If you're happy to support who you support for whatever reason, what does it matter?

I only put my point across here because it seems that many threads that start discussing Rangers, or Celtic, or Scottish football end up with Celtic bashing. And don't try to tell me that's not the case. I cannot understand the reason for it, but it's definitely not the "in thing" to support Celtic around these parts.

What are 'these parts'? Go into Dublin city on a Saturday afternoon you will see a heap of Celtic jerseys. There's a reason why they are the only club to have a store in Dublin. It's because they ARE the 'in thing'. There's money to be made and fair play to them for doing it.

I honestly have heard people claim Celtic are an Irish club, many times in fact. And it annoys me. I'm not one for Celtic bashing because I have a lot of respect for the club and its supporters, the same way I do for any other club. I will, however, air my views on the Sell Thick brigade who give the club and it's proper supporters a bad name.

It's very rare you will hear someone say they 'hate' Celtic. If there is any ill feeling towards them it is directed towards those who claim they are fans because Celtic are an Irish club.

• Advertisement

They're not Celtic fans. Seriously. Maybe many people don't actually know that. They couldn't tell you who Mark Wilson was. They certainly couldn't name the team. They don't watch games. They obviously don't go to games. It might be hard to believe but these guys don't sit in their houses on a Tuesday night watching Celtic v Barcelona. It's frustrating trying to get that across. It's incredible the amount of Liverpool fans in this country compared to Celtic fans. I watched the last Glasgow derby in a packed local pub and there was about 3 of us who cheered for the goals. The odd oul' lad would say "What's the score? Ah lovely". Please, please, please separate all these people that wear Celtic jerseys from the Celtic fans. They go into Champions Sports and are as likely to buy a Celtic jersey as they are a pair of Nike runners but they don't support Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What are 'these parts'? Go into Dublin city on a Saturday afternoon you will see a heap of Celtic jerseys. There's a reason why they are the only club to have a store in Dublin. It's because they ARE the 'in thing'. There's money to be made and fair play to them for doing it.

I honestly have heard people claim Celtic are an Irish club, many times in fact. And it annoys me. I'm not one for Celtic bashing because I have a lot of respect for the club and its supporters, the same way I do for any other club. I will, however, air my views on the Sell Thick brigade who give the club and it's proper supporters a bad name.

It's very rare you will hear someone say they 'hate' Celtic. If there is any ill feeling towards them it is directed towards those who claim they are fans because Celtic are an Irish club.

Your use of 'Sell Thick' is childish and is disparaging to Celtic and Celtic supporters. That is one example of Celtic bashing.

They're not Celtic fans. Seriously. Maybe many people don't actually know that. They couldn't tell you who Mark Wilson was. They certainly couldn't name the team. They don't watch games. They obviously don't go to games. It might be hard to believe but these guys don't sit in their houses on a Tuesday night watching Celtic v Barcelona. It's frustrating trying to get that across. It's incredible the amount of Liverpool fans in this country compared to Celtic fans. I watched the last Glasgow derby in a packed local pub and there was about 3 of us who cheered for the goals. The odd oul' lad would say "What's the score? Ah lovely". Please, please, please separate all these people that wear Celtic jerseys from the Celtic fans. They go into Champions Sports and are as likely to buy a Celtic jersey as they are a pair of Nike runners but they don't support Celtic.

But that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Hence why I posted this -
    I'm not one for Celtic bashing because I have a lot of respect for the club and its supporters, the same way I do for any other club. I will, however, air my views on the Sell Thick brigade who give the club and it's proper supporters a bad name.

Your use of 'Sell Thick' is childish and is disparaging to Celtic and Celtic supporters. That is one example of Celtic bashing.

Ah now come on. It's a commonly used term to distinguish the skangers from the true Celtic supporter like yourself.

Jesus, here's me trying to keep you seperate like Eirebhoy requested and now I'm slated by someone else for doing so. I guess there's no winning.

But the point here Xavi is why pick on Celtic's bandwagon support?

Why not Manure, Liverpool, or the easiest target of all, Sunderland? There are arséholes running round Dublin in all sorts of jersies.

It amuses me that Cetic get abused for actually having Irish connections and a strong Irish fanbase, while this is to be encouraged (manufactured?) in Sunderland. Why the distinction?

Sorry mate but there's only one person here that's come even close to criticising Sunderland as much as I have and it's DesF. Flick through some old threads if you don't believe me. One comment even got me a banned.

As for United, Liverpool etc, I'll refer you to this comment I posted earlier in the thread -
    Unfortunately once again it has been brought back to Celtic but I would put them in the same category as United, Liverpool, Milan, Barcelona etc etc when it comes to an Ireland game.

No picking on Celtic from me.

• Advertisement

But that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Hence why I posted this -
    But you're still using words like "proper supporters" and "true supporters". They're the only supporters. I'm not trying to deny these Celtic wearing youngfella's their right to support Celtic. I'm just saying they don't actually support Celtic. Supporting a club is caring for that club, being hurt when they lose. These people don't and they simply aren't Celtic fans.

I was just thinking as I was sunbathing outside. You'll find loads of fans of Liverpool/Man Utd in Ireland that do support them and follow their progress but have never been to watch them play. It's very rare to find someone in Ireland who follows Celtic that hasn't been to Celtic Park. So just ask them have they ever been to Celtic Park and you'll know who the fans are. ;)

It's strange because I can't emphasise enough how rare it is to find someone in this country that actually claims to be a Celtic fan (it's also obvious by the reaction of people when I say I'm a Celtic fan that it's rare for them to hear it too). I really don't even think the Celtic wearing skangers would claim to be Celtic fans. I know a few people with Celtic jerseys that wouldn't care less about Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Good post Eirebhoy.

And for wat its worth, I, and most people i think, are able to differentiate those types of fans from the "proper" Celtic fans.

ps. you dont here often enough anymore-has you love of little Naka cooled somewhat? :)

But you're still using words like "proper supporters" and "true supporters". They're the only supporters. I'm not trying to deny these Celtic wearing youngfella's their right to support Celtic. I'm just saying they don't actually support Celtic. Supporting a club is caring for that club, being hurt when they lose. These people don't and they simply aren't Celtic fans.

I was just thinking as I was sunbathing outside. You'll find loads of fans of Liverpool/Man Utd in Ireland that do support them and follow their progress but have never been to watch them play. It's very rare to find someone in Ireland who follows Celtic that hasn't been to Celtic Park. So just ask them have they ever been to Celtic Park and you'll know who the fans are. ;)

It's strange because I can't emphasise enough how rare it is to find someone in this country that actually claims to be a Celtic fan (it's also obvious by the reaction of people when I say I'm a Celtic fan that it's rare for them to hear it too). I really don't even think the Celtic wearing skangers would claim to be Celtic fans. I know a few people with Celtic jerseys that wouldn't care less about Celtic.

Fair enough. I was just trying to keep you guys seperated from them because I know how easy you can all be lumped in together. No offence meant by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

The "no to foreign games" fella? Of course they exist, Liverpool and United fans make the same claims, ah sure Liverpool is more Irish than it is English etc.

didnt see your last reply, fair enough. Of course if an el fan said that thered be murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

bohsman wrote: »
    Of course if an el fan said that thered be murder.

Eirebhoy is an EL fan :eek:

kdjac

• Advertisement
Advertisement