Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracks on tiled floors help

Options
  • 06-05-2008 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

Moved into a first floor apartment in February 07. By June 07 hairline cracks had appeared on the tiles in on the bathroom floor. There are 2 vertical lines and a one horizontal one and the joining of two of these lines looks bad now. Then a few weeks ago I noticed to my horror, the kitchen floor has a massive hairline crack running the width of the kitchen. It seems to originate under the washing machine. It has gone 12 feet across the width of the kitchen and bits are starting to flake off.

Different tilers done each floor so I don't think it was their fault, although neither of them are professionals, but have done a lot of tiling and looked to be a good job.

What are my options? Lift the offending tiles and replace them? Complete retile of both floors? Change material to laminate/lino?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its can be caused by the pipes under the tiles not pinned down so they are quick drying the screed therefore causing your cracks.
    Flexible adhesive should have sorted this out though.

Was your heat turned on full belt after the tiles went down?
    Is there timber on the floors in the bathroom?

U will need to rip them up I would reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Both the floors are timber.

Don't know what you mean by the 'pipes under the tiles'. Flexible adhesive was used.

No, the heat wasn't on at all when they went down. We moved in shortly after and the heat would have been on sporadically after that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Water pipes, rad pipes etc running across the floor. Sometimes what happens is that the pipes are not weighted down, so they "lift" or bounch up when the screed is poured causing the floor to crack.

The above does not apply then in your case, did the tiler use marine ply screwed down onto the floor? If he did not then that is probably your problem, as the timber is expanding and contracting when the heat is coming on and off.

Advertisement