Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitzwilliam Square? Locked?

Options
  • 06-05-2008 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain the deal with Fitzwilliam Square?

Despite living in Dublin for almost 15 years and working around the city centre i had no idea tthe park in Fitzwilliam Square was locked

One of the gates was opened this afternoon, so i went in to eat my lunch, when i tried to get out the gates were locked, i had to wait for someone with a key to open the gate.

Is it private?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Yes it's private, it belongs to the residents of the square. I knew someone whose dad had a key once, it's a lovely place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

you should have just hopped over the railings :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

yeah its private, you can buy a key if you live/work there. There's a tennis court iirc, nice place to have lunch. People often end up standing around waiting for people to open it because of forgotten keys etc so dont feel bad op

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Hadn't realised that it was a private park.

Who actually owns it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Gillo wrote: »
    Hadn't realised that it was a private park.

Who actually owns it then?
    The freehold is owned by the Earl of Pembroke, but the Square is leased to the Fitzwilliam Square Association (owners of the houses along the Square). The lease began in 1974, running for 150 years at nominal rent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We used to jump over regularly at this time of the year for a game of tennis. Never a problem.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Sorry for dragging up old threads but does anyone know how to get a key for the square/who to contact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

wixfjord wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up old threads but does anyone know how to get a key for the square/who to contact?

havent the foggiest but maybe the opw would be worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

wixfjord wrote: »

You need to defeat the gatekeeper in a game of riddles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

You're on fire tonight disssco :D

I never realised it was closed. I just thought it was a lovely park that no-one ventured into!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

europerson wrote: »
    The freehold is owned by the Earl of Pembroke, but the Square is leased to the Fitzwilliam Square Association (owners of the houses along the Square). The lease began in 1974, running for 150 years at nominal rent.
    Not any more, bought by Johnny Ronan of Treasury Holdings. wixjford, if you live there you should get a key as a matter of course, if you work there your employer should be able to sort one. Otherwise you're stuck with the rest of us hoi polloi

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jdivision wrote: »
    if you live there you should get a key as a matter of course
    AFAIK there is only one private residence there now.

Nope Tony O'Reilly has a house there, there's another one for sale at the moment and a number of the upper floors in some of the buildings are apartments. a good few have mews at the back too which probably have keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my late grandfather's great grandparents were fitzwilliam clan, is there anything i can do to get a key?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to your grandfather's great grandparents. They can sort you out. ;)

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

when stephen green was private it was to keep the 'plebs' (sic) out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the arguement that its their front garden doens't hold water anymore with all the offices in the buildings.

Doesn't matter, it's privately owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

the arguement that its their front garden doens't hold water anymore with all the offices in the buildings.

It's the front garden of the offices :)

Advertisement