Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor Upgrade...

Options
  • 06-05-2008 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping some of you guru's can help me out here.

I want to upgrade my monitor.

Unless someone can give me a good reason why I should change any of the following, these are the requirements:

- Widescreen
    - 20" or 22"
    - matte screen.
    - DVI connection

After that, I'm pretty flexible. Its not for gaming (although the odd game may be played on it), nor for watching movies, nor for anything with special requirements like graphics work either.

I don't really see any benefit in paying out a fortune for top-end stuff, given my requirements....but I don't know enough about monitors to know what I should be looking out for, or should be avoiding.

So...anyone got any recommendations...or tips on what I should be avoiding?

For reference...I live in Switzerland, so its not necessarily a case that I'll be ordering from your chosen supplier. Once import tax is taken into account, its often cheaper for me to just buy locally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

What about something like this?

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=20900&agid=603

Postage should be sort-of-resonable enough too ( its €30 to ireland, maybe similar to swizterland)

so €210 if its the same postage price

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Yeah...I've been looking at the Hanns-G kit already. It seems to be quite good in terms of price/performance. Their 19" HD194DP took some magazine awards in Germany recently. In fact, its so damn cheap, I'm tempted to just go for it and live with it being slightly smaller than what I was originally looking for.

The issue with buying from Germany isn't postage...its import tax. Not being in the EU, I typically get slapped with significant extra charges with mail-order stuff, to the point where its generally preferable to find a local supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

So I made a decision, and bought an Asus VW222U.

The integrated (crappy) speakers meant I could get rid of speakers off the desk, but still keep my wife happy (who likes to listen to internet radio when on the pc).

I'll use headphones if I want "real" sound :)

So far...pretty happy.

Advertisement