Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheiko is for small cats!!

Options
  • 06-05-2008 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭

I try to get through at least three books a month. Generally on a two fiction for every one non-fiction basis. At the moment i am reading "the Reapers" by John Connolly and have "The battle for Spain" by Anthony Beevor waiting next in line. As i finish each book, i'll write a review of sorts.

As i am reading a crime novel at the moment, here are my top three crime novels.
    3. In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
    2. Mystic River - Denis Lehane
    1. Every Dead Thing - John Connolly

I was tempted to include "No country for old men" by Cormac McCarthy but i need to reread i first. James Lees Burke nearly made the list but was pushed out by Denis Lehane's best novel.

The worst crime novel i have ever read by called "The caller" by Alex Barclay, it was bloody awful and was ultimately the crime equivalent of a Marian Keyes/Celia Ahern tripe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Ok so i finished the Reapers last night and here is my little review of sorts.

This is an entralling standalone novel which is a perfect companion for the Charlie Parker novels. It can be read alone or as part of the series.

If you havent read any of the Parker novels, you should, they are the best crime novels out there today. Angel and Louis are a gay couple from the novels who now appear in this somewhat standalone novel. Angel the B&E man and Loius the killer. This story tells of Loius past and how he became a killer, how he was betrayed and why he is now being hunted for his past sins.

John Connolly is a fantastic author and his novels are beautifully witten. Comedy is never far from the pages but terror is there too, in equal measure.

I would rank this novel as 6/10 where 1 would be Hannibal and 10 would be Every Dead Thing.

I'm going to start The Battle for Spain tomorrow and i cant wait, bring on that facist bastard Franco.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Killme00 - Did you get (or see) the hardcover edition of The Reapers?

I am trying to get first edition (UK) hardback for my son-in-law who lives in the US and is a huge Connolly fan.

I thought the book was to be published May 15th, so now I'm running late.

Any suggestions? I live down the country - missed the Dublin book signing (which is where I usually get the books for the son-in-law).

Help? Really want first edition.

Cheers,
    Ban

Hi Banshee,

Unfortunately i didnt make the book signing, i rang Dubray books but they said they would only have those bloody airport editions we get here in Ireland. If i cant make a book signing with Hardback firsts, i normally buy them from Alan White on abe books. He is a small independent bookseller in the Uk and always get signed and one lined hardback firsts for me.

PM me for his email address if you like, otherwise you will find it here on ABE

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=connolly%2C+john&sortby=3&sts=t&tn=the+reapers&x=0&y=0

Otherwise, Chapters on Parnell St can get you a hardback copy within a week and you could get John to sign it at the next signing in Dublin.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Thanks Kill. Sorry for slow response.

I found same situation down here - airport edition only. I even pre-ordered at Amazon.co.uk and a 3rd edition arrived...

I found a 1st edition though. The really nice mgr at Post Mortem Books in the UK actually went to another book shop and got an unsigned first edition for me and is sending it on to the son-in-law for me. He had only signed editions. I wanted unsigned as son-in-law will enjoy going to the book signing in his city in the US to get personalised signing. He's a huge, huge JC fan.

Post Mortem Books charged a reasonable price for the book and for priority postage to the States. He could have stuck me for the hassle of going to another shop to get it for me. Really nice. I'll use them again for something after that high level customer service!

And yes, I screech and wail a lot, but I'm just "Banished-She." :-)
    I started on Boards.ie on the Ireland Offline board after being one of the 2000 people to get banished from the Esat Surf No Limits internet contract back in 2001. And I'm a female, so "Ban" works.

Thanks again for the info you gave me.

Ban

I see, you are a little bit nuts too arent you? Glad to hear that you got the book, im still waiting on my first ed from England, hopefully it will arrive soon.

Just a little update: Im finding the Battle for Spain hard going in parts. Im about half way through, it is very infomative but a little tough to read. I think i might drop it for the rest of the week for some lighter reading. I nearly tripped over a copy of "I am Legend" this morning which the dogs look to have been chewing on. I think ill read that for the rest of the week and then pick up Battle for Spain again next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I read battle of Spain few weeks ago. I think it was one of the hardest history books I've ever read. I think Beevor is only partially to blame though - the whole thinbg was such a mess, so many names, organisations etc, that it would be hard to make something easy to read out of that.

Nice relaxing week with lots of sunshine and two days off work to spend lounging about. I finished three books, all different and each better than the last.

3. Aldus Huxley - Brave New World. Welcome to the year of our Ford. Dystopia at its very best. This book made me want to revisit some of the old classics that i haven't read for years. They have been gathering dust on my bookshelf but still shine.

2. John Wyndham - Day of the Triffids. I first read this book when i was a kid. I found it at a car boot sale when i was ten years old and my Grandmother bought it for me, more to encourage me to stop reading famous five books than anything else. So, this is the first time that i have read this book in 20 years and god, did i not know what i was missing.

1. Richard Matheson - I am Legend. The book that started it all, i have read this book a few times and it is well suited to a windswept and sunny day alone on the coast. George E Romero was inspired by this book to create Night of the Living Dead and once you have read it, you can see why. You also notice that alot of the vampire films today follow the same recipe. One man alone against the Vampires, personal sacrifice and in the end, realisation.

What a week, nothing fires the imagination like a parallel reality where the absurd world we live in today is drawn into some sort of horrible context. Where would authors today be without masters like Huxley, Orwell or even Bradbury? In my opinion, nothing today even come remotely close to the three books mentioned above (as well as 1984 and Fahrenheit 451) and we are the poorer for it.

I am going to keep the Battle for Spain on the backburner for another week or two while i attempt Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA by Tim Weiner. I am also looking for a good biography of Booby Kennedy, so if anyone could recommend one, it would be much appreciated.

Advertisement