Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australia short-term rentals

• 06-05-2008 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Are these common in Australia? I'll be looking to rent somewhere for 4 months.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Not really no. Most rentals are for six months minimum and it can be difficult enough to get a landlord to take you on if you have no previous rental references in the country. Competition is fierce at the moment as people can't afford to buy houses at the moment, everone's renting. Offering an extra $20 or $30 a week can sway things in your direction though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

We found short term renatals alre, and so did alot of our friends. Both in Sydney(3-4 months) and Melbourne (3-4 months). You wont find them by going to letting agencies though as the are normally only interested in mid-long term rentals, nothing under six months. You will find them on the local notice boards (normally in supermarkets and shopping centres), or on the net, or by talking to other back packers in hostels and pubs. These may be house shares or apartments, and you can get some nice ones and some horrible ones depending on how much you want to spend.

Where are you planning on trying to rent?

P.S Xavi actually lives in australia and my info is about a year and half old so he might know more. Or might be just talking about Perth where I only knew one person who found somewhere to rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

use gumtree.com.au - i was there last year and found short term accomodation on it. If your in a city you can always check the notice boards in hostels.

A little note though - if your going for short term (my personal experience was that the landlord/agent can try to screw you over - thats just my experience).

Keedowah wrote: »
    A little note though - if your going for short term (my personal experience was that the landlord/agent can try to screw you over - thats just my experience).

This is true especially if you get nothing in writing. Try to get stuff in writing and make sure if you handing over depoisits exactly what conditions you must meet to have this depoisit returned.

I would also recommend taking photos of the place when you move in, and point out any damages to the landland within in your first week so they are aware you did not cause them.

Also make sure you get receipts when paying any rent.

Most states have very strict letting laws and landlords have to follow certain practices, however there are many who aren't fully "legal" and these prey on backpackers. Common sense is the main thing, and not trusting your landlord one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Never found it tough in either Melbourne or Sydney - didnt stay long in Perth, only 2 weeks visiting but had heard thats its alot tougher to find something for 3-4 mts.

In Sydney - i stayed in the Sydney Terraces - they are kind of Backpacker orientated but really nice - check them out - sydney terraces

In Melbourne, you will see TNT Magazine/British Balls magazines in most hostels bars - they can give accom lisiting and landlords/agents that accept short term rentals advertise in these - they both have websites so give them a google

There was one landlord who most of our mates rented from in Melbourne - all the places were around St'Kilda, Prahran (Chapel St.) or Balaclava - all pretty nice - he advertises in TNT

• Advertisement

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Never found it tough in either Melbourne or Sydney - didnt stay long in Perth, only 2 weeks visiting but had heard thats its alot tougher to find something for 3-4 mts.

In Sydney - i stayed in the Sydney Terraces - they are kind of Backpacker orientated but really nice - check them out - sydney terraces

In Melbourne, you will see TNT Magazine/British Balls magazines in most hostels bars - they can give accom lisiting and landlords/agents that accept short term rentals advertise in these - they both have websites so give them a google

There was one landlord who most of our mates rented from in Melbourne - all the places were around St'Kilda, Prahran (Chapel St.) or Balaclava - all pretty nice - he advertises in TNT

Was that guy Patrick by any chance? Agree with all the stuff about British Balls and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Not sure where I'm staying, but probably not Sydney. I hear Melbourne is very good. Either Melbourne or Brisbane.

It's a "how long is a piece of string" question, but what are rental prices like? Relative to Irish prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah my experience would be mainly to do with WA alright, though rentals are becoming the status quo all over the country as house prices are rising everywhere. The amount of evictions in every state lately of people who can't meet their mortgage repayments is crazy.

As for prices, my first place was a four bedroom house that was pretty spacious, had a back garden, garage etc. That was $400 per week. We offered $450 though to secure it (there were 9 of us so it cost feck all. Landlord thought there was only four of us). Current place is just me and the missus. Two bedroom apartment in a young area. In a complex with a swimming pool, gym, sauna, secure parking etc and close to all ammenities. Costs us $320 a week which is well affordable given our salaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Was that guy Patrick by any chance? Agree with all the stuff about British Balls and stuff.

Nope, guy called Tony - had us in a place within a few hours of calling him
    Not sure where I'm staying, but probably not Sydney. I hear Melbourne is very good.

I was like this too, wasnt keen on Sydney but ended up missing it once id left - sme nices places to live - Coogee, Manly etc.. but Bondi Junction had to be one of the worst dumps ive ever come across - Benidorm for the Irish 20-30's

Melbourne is fantastic - relaxed and chilled - little harder to find work but should be OK
    It's a "how long is a piece of string" question, but what are rental prices like? Relative to Irish prices.

Melbourne - for example we had a 2 bed place - 2 couples, it was €500/wk (€125/person) seemed to be about the norm when i was there

Sydney - Terraces as in last mail - €145/wk but have heard of ppl paying alot more

Not sure where I'm staying, but probably not Sydney. I hear Melbourne is very good. Either Melbourne or Brisbane.

Do you know what time of year?

In melbourne we paid between 125/145 in a house share. This was at peak period (Commonwealth games/Grad Prix) season. We got a place for something like 100 after that.

In Sydney again peak period (October - Jan) we were paying 500 a week for a two bedroom place around Coogee/Randwick/Clovelly area. We normally had 5 people living there comfortably so 100 a week.

I dont about Brisbane to be honest only stayed for a few days in a 30 bed dorm which I doubt interests you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Good info here thanks. Shouldn't be impossible to get somwhere then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 almo

In Melbourne you could try
    http://www.travelandlive.com.au/
    Worked out well enough for me just over a year ago.

Enjoy

Advertisement