Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding while overtaking. Legal?

Options
  • 06-05-2008 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm pretty sure this has been answered but can't seem to find it using the search function, so here goes:

Driving from Dublin to Galway last friday I was the second from the front in a line of cars. The car in front was doing the legal limit as was I (80km/hr), and there was a healthy gap between us. No problems.

Well, no problems until he noticed up ahead a member of the Gardai manning a speed check. He slowed down below the limit (~60km/hr), and I never even saw the speed check ahead. I sped up, and overtook him safely (long straight, no cars coming), and was going about 105km/hr by the time I pulled in and passed the speed check.

So anyways, that's what happened. I'm wondering if there is leeway given to motorists overtaking?

Would be a damn shame if I got any points from this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Speed check was a laser? Did they photo you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

biko wrote: »
    Speed check was a laser? Did they photo you?

I'm not entirely sure of the difference to be honest. It was a gun of some sort mounted on a tripod, I don't know if this also takes photos. There was a Garda car parked (hidden) in a laneway at the speed check but I was not persued and stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

You're not allowed break the speed limit even if you are overtaking, but....
    preilly79 wrote: »

So anyways, that's what happened. I'm wondering if there is leeway given to motorists overtaking?

....you'll probably get a bit of leeway. Odds are if they didn't pull you over straight away, you won't get anything nasty in the post.

If you do.....just claim you never got it....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They often provide leeway, but in reality there's no provision in law which allows you to break the speed limit in order to overtake.

It's a grey area that's impossible to legislate - ideally you would be permitted to break the limit in order to safely complete the manouver, but how fast is "safe"? This is where Garda discretion is key. Note that if it was a fixed camera, your chances of getting away with it are limited.

seamus wrote: »
    ... Note that if it was a fixed camera, your chances of getting away with it are limited.

fixed cameras being the "grey box on the top of a pole type" type Gatsos?

Do the other kind, the one that I passed, take photos or otherwise record registrations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The laser guns on tripods do not take photos so the Garda has to pull you over to give you a ticket.

Speedometers usually overread by around 5-10% so if your speedo was showing 105 your true speed was probably around 95-100.

Even if your true speed was above the limit, Gardai will usually give some leeway, however you cannot predict what this leeway is. You will get leeway even if you are not overtaking. If you are overtaking you may get a bigger leeway.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    The laser guns on tripods do not take photos so the Garda has to pull you over to give you a ticket.

If that's the case then I think I can rest easy!

Thanks to everybody for the clarifications!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

fixed cameras being the "grey box on the top of a pole type" type Gatsos?
    The ones in the vans as well - they take photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

The one time I got points was as a result of having to speed up and break the limit to safely overtake.

The car I was over taking was one of these drivers that liked to vari their speed between 40MPH and 60MPH for no good reason. He was doing about 40 when I went to over take, straight road, broken line and nothing coming towards me. He then decided to speed up to about 60 when I was along side him. I went faster, passed him gave him plenty of space and pulled back in. Once back in lane I slowed back down to the limit, looked in my rear view and had the blue light coming up behind me, I looked at my speedo at that point and it was about 58mph.

He was not interested in the reason why I broke the limit, in fact he tried to write the ticket for more than the gun showed. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

99% of the time, i'm exceeding the limit when overtaking, then usually ease up on the throttle and cruise at the limit.

I wouldn't overtake someone doing the limit, no need to really.

Although, if someone is taking there time getting to the limit, I will overtake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

kayos wrote: »
    The car I was over taking was one of these drivers that liked to vari their speed between 40MPH and 60MPH for no good reason.

What do you mean no good reason....? either he was on the phone or she was putting on make-up. Is that not a good enough reason.

Do you seriously expect someone to be able to drive, make a phone call, change gear, check mirrors AND be aware of their speed all at the same time.....c'mon.

:rolleyes:

Seriously though, why do some drivers slow to 60kph at the merest hint of a bend and then speed up to 100kph again on the straights making it impossible to overtake without exceeding the limit.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just be aware that some Gardai have camera's mounted on tripods. Theres always one along the n7 and up along the m1. Hopefully discretion plays a key role in the garda, otherwise keep an eye on the post.

When you drove past them, did they look at you at all?

stevec wrote: »
    Seriously though, why do some drivers slow to 60kph at the merest hint of a bend and then speed up to 100kph again on the straights making it impossible to overtake without exceeding the limit.:mad::mad:

or why do some drivers sh1t themselves at the sight of a garda and slow down way below the limit? :confused:

antodeco wrote: »
    When you drove past them, did they look at you at all?

Nope, he kept his eye to the gun/camera/laser/revenue-generation-device (pick one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

or why do some drivers sh1t themselves at the sight of a garda and slow down way below the limit? :confused:

or why do some drivers go 70km/h in an 80 or 100km/h zone, and then continue at 70km/h through a village with a limit of 50km/h :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Cionád wrote: »
    or why do some drivers go 70km/h in an 80 or 100km/h zone, and then continue at 70km/h through a village with a limit of 50km/h :mad:
    You have just hit on the worst possible type of driver. Infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

If you have not been paying attention to your speedo and you suddenly see a speed trap it can be instinctive to step on the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

They are committed to driving safely, even if erring on the side of caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

real pity if you get something for this, reilly. technically what you did is illegal but i feel you were much safer to do what you did rather than do some crazy slow overtaking. hate those drivers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sandwich wrote: »
    They are committed to driving safely, even if erring on the side of caution.

I really don't want to go there but...

If they were 'committed to driving safely' then they'd stay at 60kph, move over to the left and allow the backlog of increasingly agitated drivers that is collecting behind them to pass.

The only excuses for this behaviour are that they are either incompetent, oblivious to other road users, or just plain and simple tossers.

• Advertisement

If you have not been paying attention to your speedo and you suddenly see a speed trap it can be instinctive to step on the break.

True, however, by the time you see them you've more than likely been caught - so no point in braking. I agree though, it's instinctive to throw out the anchors no matter what speed you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Sorry for going of topic a little,

On the point of speedo's having a 5-10 % lee-way for giving our speed, is this an industry standard, which can be used a legal point in court, say for argument sake i was doing a indicated 120 but this was auctualy 130 (on the laser gun) due to this lee-way would i get fined

Its something ive allways wanted to know

It could work both ways:cool::cool::cool:

Sorry for going of topic a little,

On the point of speedo's having a 5-10 % lee-way for giving our speed, is this an industry standard, which can be used a legal point in court, say for argument sake i was doing a indicated 120 but this was auctualy 130 (on the laser gun) due to this lee-way would i get fined

Its something ive allways wanted to know

It could work both ways:cool::cool::cool:

In practice car speedometers always over-read. This stops car manufacturers getting sued every time someone gets 'done' for speeding.

I've never heard of a case where it's been the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I got done over taking an unmarked cop car at 80MPH It was in the pre points days with a 50 quid fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

True, however, by the time you see them you've more than likely been caught - so no point in braking. I agree though, it's instinctive to throw out the anchors no matter what speed you're doing.
    The practice of some speeders is to drive up real close behind the car in front to make it difficult to photograph the reg plate. That leaves people like me trying to keep my speed legal while being pressed on from the rear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

The practice of some speeders is to drive up real close behind the car in front to make it difficult to photograph the reg plate. That leaves people like me trying to keep my speed legal while being pressed on from the rear.

Yes all us speeders are tailgating bastards just so the cops won't get our reg plate. The question is, if we are "speeding", yet still stuck behind a Maud Flanders like you, either you are over the speed limit too, or we are not speeding. You have a great logic.:rolleyes: Of course if you were to kindly let me overtake when safe to do so we could both be on our merry way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The recommend course of action here to to gently lower your speed, making sure you have a sufficent gap between you and the car in front, should anything go wrong. The slower speed will hopefully also mean that the tosser behind you can also stop in time should something go wrong. Hopefully he will pass you quick enough and get out of your way.

MrP

I really don't want to go there but...

If they were 'committed to driving safely' then they'd stay at 60kph, move over to the left and allow the backlog of increasingly agitated drivers that is collecting behind them to pass.

The only excuses for this behaviour are that they are either incompetent, oblivious to other road users, or just plain and simple tossers.

its actually been a long time since ive witnessed a slow driver pulling into the hard shoulder to allow overtaking. in the meanwhile, the slow fecker is probably raving inside about tailgaters :rolleyes:

simple case of a driver who doesnt know the rules of the road. same person will use the wrong lane around the roundabout and use incorect signaling, go into a yellow box without a care in the world etc etc etc etc etc

I got done over taking an unmarked cop car at 80MPH It was in the pre points days with a 50 quid fine.

well done.

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    in the meanwhile, the slow fecker is probably raving inside about tailgaters :rolleyes:

LOL... probably true.:D

Advertisement