Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV or network cameras

Options
  • 06-05-2008 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just wondering here weather to implement a CCTV or network based camera for a small site.

the network based seems to me like it a winner as I can easily implement Power over ethenet to the camera and view if over the home network or the internet

would there be any reason why CCTV may be cheaper/ better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

abakan wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just wondering here weather to implement a CCTV or network based camera for a small site.

the network based seems to me like it a winner as I can easily implement Power over ethenet to the camera and view if over the home network or the internet

I can't think of a reason. Id say the IP cameras are more expensive though but it is handy to be able to view remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

I have an ip camera at home and it works ok. Cheap enough to purchase and you can install and configure it easy enough. Check out http://www.axis.com/
    I have a wireless model also which is convenient.

Some negatives though..not always reliable and if you have a dynamic ip from your isp which most of us do then each time your router reboots (and gets new ip) the camera is not accessible over the WAN

You can also get some good free software from axis whereby the camera will send/save images to your pc. These cameras also work off motion detection and will forward you an email;automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

but do IP cameras work out more expensive if you include all equipments needed to get a CCTV camera to work over the web??

Forgot about the IP address, but does a service like DynDns take care of that when u reeboot the access point /Router?

i have 300-400meters distance to my shed where I wanna put a cameras and I think it makes sence to me to have an ip camera transmitting accross a 2.4Mhz anteanna link to my access point in the house.

The more I think of it the more I think its the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

but do IP cameras work out more expensive if you include all equipments needed to get a CCTV camera to work over the web??
    No, they would work out the same or cheaper then plus they would be a more robust job.
    Forgot about the IP address, but does a service like DynDns take care of that when u reeboot the access point /Router?
    I have a Trendnet IP400w pan/tilt camera set up as a webcam for a town. I can connect to it from anywhere in the world using DynDNS. You'd need to make sure that the camera(s) you are buying supports it but if it does then you do not need to worry about it. Since it seems from what you posted that you are only using it on your LAN then the DynDNS requirement doesn't really make a difference to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

"Forgot about the IP address, but does a service like DynDns take care of that when u reeboot the access point /Router?
    The more I think of it the more I think its the best option"

True..i did come across DynDns and seemed to have trouble with it. I should probably revisit this as i will away soon and would like the camera on.

The other trouble i had when i wanted to view the camera remotely was with software. It required me to install a java component on the pc and since its most likely i wud be viewing from a cafes pc i wouldnt have admin rights on pc to do so. I remember last year not being able to view camera from Shannon airport because i could not install the software.

I think eventually ip cameras will be more common than cctv just once all the flaws are removed.

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    Since it seems from what you posted that you are only using it on your LAN then the DynDNS requirement doesn't really make a difference to you.

very true but what if your not in the house when u want to look at the camera,I have a good phone that can access the web and hopefully see the cameras by that method.

I think the bandwidth should be ok with a 300 meter range by anteanna to work accross the net!

unchartered terriority so fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Unlike most hre that have domestic use of cameras I install traditional, IP and Im one of the first in the country to persue true High De CCTV.

This is the reality of the situation:

IP is and s going to be more expensive than traditional for a little while more. Yes with the IP you can technically buy one cam and record on your PC but its so flakey. For a cheap realible system go traditional. Dont get me wrong I prefer the IP stuff but some of it is just stupid money. I can supply 4 cameras fitted and a 4ch DVR with 500GB HDD with 25 frames per ch and VGA, network etc etc for cheaper than 1 IP PTZ. IP CCTV is a buzz word right now and you know yourself you pay for buzz. Im lucky in the fact that I came from IT so the IP network cams are familiar but the traditional is so cheap and even for the really good brand names like Samsung techwin you just cant go wrong.

I like to offer my cliesnt the best for there budget. I have cameras for €99, €199, €599 and they up to €12000.00 for my top end camera. Decide your rough budget, then decide who is installing you or a professional, then look at your options. PM me or email me if you would like any advice of particular brands as I ave installed several and may be able to help you.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shangralia

steps_3314 wrote: »
    I have an ip camera at home and it works ok. Cheap enough to purchase and you can install and configure it easy enough. Check out http://www.axis.com/
    I have a wireless model also which is convenient.

Some negatives though..not always reliable and if you have a dynamic ip from your isp which most of us do then each time your router reboots (and gets new ip) the camera is not accessible over the WAN

You can also get some good free software from axis whereby the camera will send/save images to your pc. These cameras also work off motion detection and will forward you an email;automatically.
    But if you register your camera with AXIS then the offer a DNS service to take care of this for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 khye

shangralia wrote: »
    But if you register your camera with AXIS then the offer a DNS service to take care of this for free.

We have been using Dyndns.org to allow people to connect to their routers if they don't have a static IP, the service is also free and has never failed for us yet.
    Its pretty easy to setup as well, once you have forwarded the correct ports to the router you should be up and running with the minimal of cost.

;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Hi all,

Plenty of DVRs have an optional network socket , so you could use one of those and traditional cameras .

This would give you recording, access over the web , cheaper cameras .

If you intend having just one camera, you could run a 2.4ghz analogue link (like those domestic video senders ) back to your house .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

bushy... wrote: »
    Plenty of DVRs have an optional network socket , so you could use one of those and traditional cameras .

This would give you recording, access over the web , cheaper cameras .

If you intend having just one camera, you could run a 2.4ghz analogue link (like those domestic video senders ) back to your house .

This originally poster has been given all the details he needed. I was able to offer an IP guide price and a analogue camera price with DVR and wireless. I only supply quality wireless products so i think it was not cost effective for him. But your right bushy thats the set up I recommended too but i cant offer the cheaper units, its just not me!!!

Advertisement