Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip-Off?

• 06-05-2008 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Please read my story and comment on whether or not it sounds fishy. Not the Insurance company, but the company that towed the car...
    Yesterday my husband and I got a puncture. We had no spare tyre so called our Insurance company and they sent out a tow-truck. Something similar happened to us before and what happened was they put the car on the truck and took us home.
    This time, however, we were told that the car would have to be dropped off at the nearest garage of their company and we were dropped off in Finglas. Considering we live in Harold’s Cross, this was a problem.
    One option given was for us to call a taxi and the Insurance company would pay for it but my husband was still concerned as to how he was going to get to work the next day without his car. The Insurance company offered him a courtesy car and we went down to Dun Laoghaire to pick this up and this is how we got home.
    This morning my husband got a call from the garage where our car was towed. He was told that the car would need four new tyres at a cost of €80 each. This sounds a bit suspicious considering that all we had was a puncture and the last time we had a puncture we were towed home and that was it, my husband repaired the tyre himself. Fair enough, perhaps there is more damage done to the tyre this time but why would they all need to be replaced?
    I’m especially concerned as they won’t let us take the car anywhere else to get it fixed. It has to be them. This seems very strange. Our taxi driver last night was telling us he had a problem with a car one time and he made sure the car was brought to his garage. The garage was run by a friend of his and he wanted to give the business to his friend, not the garage that the tow-truck dictated.
    Does anyone else smell a scam here or am I just too cynical? It just seems very odd that we’ve been told all four tyres need to be replaced and they are the only ones who we are allowed to have do it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Okay, well, just to update this situation. My husband refused point-blank to let them put the new tyres on, we can't afford that right now.

They dropped the issue and just repaired the tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I assume you have now purchased a spare?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Okay, well, just to update this situation. My husband refused point-blank to let them put the new tyres on, we can't afford that right now.

You'd better get a spare too. Do they charge you for the tow or is that included in your insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Yes it is a rip off,

To get your insurance company to pay for a tow truck, taxi and courtesy car for 1 minor puncture.

etc.....high insurance prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

A taxi home? a courtesy car? all for one puncture?????

I can see why the garage told you you need four new tyres if they were well worn but in fairness you should be able to spot this yourself. At the end of the day it is your car and you can do business or not do business with whomever you wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Anyone know if a garage in Ireland is legally liable for an accident that would happen as a consequence of they letting the motorist on his way with 4 bald tyres?

That is the situation in several European countries, and often as not can come as a nasty surprise to car owners who don't think to check (or replace) their tyres as often as they should: "get the tyres changed or the car isn't leaving the forecourt".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Well, it's my husbands car. I don't even drive. He has got a spare now. I will also double-check before we go on any more long journeys.

Advertisement