Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France

Options
  • 06-05-2008 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Was thinking of heading over during the Tour de France this year, Any of you ever been over?

I was looking at some bike tours but they are bloody expensive! So a couple of us were thinking of just going over by ourselves. However, I would be worried aboout bringing the bikes over as I dont think i would feel safe about leaving it anywhere. Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

i was thinking of going, but i dont know anyone that cycles. which is a bummer.

my recommendation is not to tour on bike. too much weight + hassle.
    but seeing as how late it is, accommodation will be hard to find. you might have to camp??

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Anzer123

Yeah camping has been high on the list of possibilities...weather would be nice in the southern parts as well. Again though, camping doesnt really allow for haveing expensive bikes hanging around.

Have considered leaving the bikes at home but it would be great to do some rides around the course. Renting a bike over there might be a possibility i suppose!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Will see the TT at Cholet at least, maybe another stage. Will be on hols in Loire Valley around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ventoux

Hi there,
    I have gone over twice to see the tour and it is highly recommended especially in the mountains.The atmosphere on Alpe D, Huez on tour day is electric so try and get there for it.The camp sites in France are good and have good facilities, and we camped the first year but stayed in catered lodgings the next and it was great to have your grub ready in the morning and evening.Three of us went and hired and car so it worked out well,but if you use Bourg D' Oisians as your base, you can get tranfers from Lyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

no experience with this, but from watching the tour the france on Tv isnt the camper van the most popular option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement