Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

networking in student accomodation

Options
  • 06-05-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

I live in a student accomodation flat and i connect to the internet through an ethernet port on the wall .
    I have a ps3 and a laptop which i use on the internet, but everytime i want to use them i have to switch the cable.
    Can i get a router that i can plug into the ethernet connection on the wall and then use the ps3/laptop on (wirelessly i guess) .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I'm drunk but yes you can....more tomorrow when I'm sober.

You'll need to get a switch or a hub. You can plug this into the port on the wall and then plug multiple devices into it.

Something like this little piece of kit: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=334659

• Registered Users Posts: 34 marchanlon

If you'd prefer to do it wireless, get a Buffalo G54s (http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3W14) and change the switch on the bottom to "Access Point" mode. No harder to install than the wired switch, only e40 and no ugly wires for people to trip on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Thanks, how much is delivery for that on dabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 marchanlon

Niall0 wrote: »

€5 for delivery in 3/4 working days (think it's by Royal Mail and then An Post so that may be optimistic).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Niall0 wrote: »

Surely you can check something like this yourself? The people who answer questions on boards are not servants!:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement