Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

regen quality, low scout opinion

Options
  • 06-05-2008 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Does anyone spend ages every summer trying to find 16-19 year olds to sign for the reserves/U18's, and finds that while some have great looking potential, your scouts say that they 'have the potential to be good Championship players/foreign equivalent' despite very promising initial stats?

It seems that anyone under 20 gets a bad rap from the scouts, the highest youngster I've found (I'm 6 seasons in) is 4 stars?? I suppose this changes given the right training etc over a few years and will increase, but has anyone brought in a young player on their gut feeling, despite non-glowing scout reports and nurtured them through the ranks into a wonderkid etc??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭glenjamin

You won't find many 'wonderkids' as the game goes on as the quality of players deteriates. The big clubs with the best training and youth facilities usually produce the best players so your best bet would be to poach all their up-and-coming youths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

you can find some fantastic regens now and again, but they are never labelled as a wonderkid and scouts aren't great help. i tend to just do the whole bulk thing, get in as many as possible from all over the shop and hope one or two become good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭kramerica

I agree, Lenin, I've signed 25+ youngsters over the last 2 seasons, to see what a world class training team can do for em. I blew the U18's league away last year with em and expect them to do it again this year, and the players that are too old to step up to the reserves and do the business. Anyone under a 7 rating gets sold off!

Seems a better plan than blindly trusting scouts...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I tend to be my own scout for youth players. Scouring the international teams of poor nations on International days often finds youngsters with good stats available for very little money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

buying Henri Saviet as a youth player is a good bet:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement