Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratch cards

Options
  • 06-05-2008 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭

Would you class that as gambling and why is it when you win you dont get your 2 euro (or what ever you paid) back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

It's gambling but a very different product form what a bookie offers.

You don't get your €2 back because when you buy a scratch card it's a direct purchase - you hand over €2 which immediately becomes property of the shop kepper/nationaly lottery or whoever.

When you place a bet in a bookie, you are wagering €2 of your money on a certain outcome at a given set of odds. The money belongs to neither party until the bet is settled. You aren't making a purchase, just wagering a certain amount. That's my take on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Scratch Cards are a tax for the stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Culchie wrote: »
    Scratch Cards are a tax for the stupid.
    Thats a very small minded way of looking at scratchcards.

I think of them a a charitable donation (its for charity remember), and one that is considerably more exciting than throwing €2 into a bucket outside the shops.

Weither or not they are gambling depends on your reason for doing it, if you buy them to win money then it is gambling (and pretty bad gambling at that), if you buy them aware of your chances of winning, and also aware that they are for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The only purpose they serve for me is to beef up cheap presents with the possiblity of a big win which never happens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Thats a very small minded way of looking at scratchcards.
    Scratch cards take about 50%. bookies about 15%. The stock market on average comes out ahead (so far).
    I think of them a a charitable donation (its for charity remember), and one that is considerably more exciting than throwing €2 into a bucket outside the shops.
    Have you thought about making a game of this? If you can get the coin in the bucket from 3 meters try steal the bucket? That would make it pretty exciting
    Weither or not they are gambling depends on your reason for doing it, if you buy them to win money then it is gambling (and pretty bad gambling at that), if you buy them aware of your chances of winning, and also aware that they are for charity.
    Gambling is most addictive when there is a short time between betting and outcome. So the normal lottery is pretty safe because you usually wait days to find what happened. Scratch cards and one armed bandit machines have a quick hit time that makes them more addictive (i can find a citation for this if requested)

• Advertisement
Advertisement