Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iso Cabs

Options
  • 06-05-2008 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Well Lads,

I was having a look at some iso cabs over the last few days. Does anyone have any experience with the randall one?

Seems like a good job, would be interesting to know just how quiet it is when your cranking a tube amp through her.

Any alternatives?

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Lanois whacks them into a wardrobe. And if it's good enough for god well it's good enough for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

What I do is put 2 4'x2' acoustic panels side by side 3 feet from the 4x12 cab so it is projecting the sound AT the panels. This makes a HUGE difference to the clarity of the amp when close miced.
    I would not consider an isolation box because low frequencies need space to develop. I once tried to build a "tent" around the front of the cab and found the sound to be boxy and unnatural. My method allows the amp speakers to breathe and project into the room, but stops phase canceling reflections getting back to the mics. If you don't have acoustic panels, try using a mattress first and if it works well (it will), it is very easy to build acoustic panels. I have built lots of them for the studio. They were cheapish and easy to make and sound and look far better than (auralex) sh1tty grey foam panels.
    Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Thanks lads some good points there. This is a lot to do with keeping volumes down. How good are your methods for that? I actually have a cupboard at the back of the studio that i should really soundproof and make into a cab booth!

Advertisement