Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Too many displays required on car windscreens. It is getting ridiculous

Options
  • 06-05-2008 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I spotted this on a car in Dunlaoghaire recently, four displays on the windshield and on the drivers side :eek: . It’s ridiculous that the DOE and MOT will fail you with a small stone chip yet at the same time let you blot out half your vision with these mandatory displays. In the States it’s illegal to have any display or obstruction on any part of your windscreen, all licence details are displayed on a small coloured sticker on the reg plate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Having that many displays is not ridiculous. What is ridiculous is putting them at the driver side.
    Most people put them at the passenger side and have no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

micmclo wrote: »
    Having that many displays is not ridiculous. What is ridiculous is putting them at the driver side.
    Most people put them at the passenger side and have no problem

I agree, bottom left is my preferred position.

I've seen cars with more than the four in the pic above.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get a life. The driver's view is not blocked in any way there. :(

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

It pisses me off as well. Its indicitave of the level of beauracracy we have to live with nowadays.

You see people with multiple parking permits, nct, tax, insurance, toll road devices.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Phaetonman wrote: »
    You see people with multiple parking permits, nct, tax, insurance, toll road devices.

LOl, sounds like my car! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I think we've bigger concerns in motoring Ireland than too many discs in our windows.

I've mine behind my rearview mirror, so its outa sight for most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

They're hardly in the feckin way now are they. But I do agree there should be less to display.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It's hard to tell from that picture, but three of those stickers could well be hidden by the dash anyway. If I put my permit at the very bottom of the windscreen, it can barely be seen (if at all) from the driver's seat. In some cars, you would not see a sticker stuck on in front of the rear view mirror.

That picture linked to is hardly a crime against humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Behind the rear view mirror is actually a handy place ...the stickers fill the gap that most sun visors leave open.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

peasant wrote: »
    Behind the rear view mirror is actually a handy place ...the stickers fill the gap that most sun visors leave open.

Oooh, that's a great idea! My last car had that green tint at the top of the windscreen so I didn't have a problem with a gap between the visors, but my new one doesn't......yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Dont be a dope and do what everyone else does, stick it on bottom left, seriously, you wont even notice its there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ive seen much worse. ie.receipts for parking permit, out of date tax or nct still visably displayed along with current valid disc, AA stickers, IRL stickers, boy racers who think its cool for some reason to have their horizonal tax disc holders stuck on vertically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ive had the usual three discs (bottom left) and an eazypass (behind rearview) and a fire brigade member sticker (top right, from previous owner and i think guards gave me an easy time at check points because of it :D)

Never had any problem with visibility ever.

Its ridiculus complaining about it, it cant really affect it too much unless you cover your entire windscreen in stickers from anywhere

chris85 wrote: »
    Its ridiculus complaining about it, it cant really affect it too much unless you cover your entire windscreen in stickers from anywhere

Agreed. I feel stupid having even bothered posting in this thread.

Another crucial motoring tackled!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote: »
    I agree, bottom left is my preferred position
    Probably because it's a legal requirement that they be in the bottom nearside. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I spotted this on a car in Dunlaoghaire recently, four displays on the windshield and on the drivers side :eek: . It’s ridiculous that the DOE and MOT will fail you with a small stone chip yet at the same time let you blot out half your vision with these mandatory displays. In the States it’s illegal to have any display or obstruction on any part of your windscreen, all licence details are displayed on a small coloured sticker on the reg plate.

I park on DL harbour a lot so I use annual concession parking stickers as well as the other crud - whatever glue they use welds the sticker to the windscreen and they won't come off... I have 4 of them now.:(

stevec wrote: »
    I park on DL harbour a lot so I use annual concession parking stickers as well as the other crud - whatever glue they use welds the sticker to the windscreen and they won't come off... I have 4 of them now.:(

Try a hair drier and some sort of solvent to remove the stickers. That's what some people use when de-badging their car anyway - don't know if it would be different for glass.

I was going to say sorry for going OT, but this was a stupid thread to begin with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

eoin_s wrote: »
    Try a hair drier and some sort of solvent to remove the stickers. That's what some people use when de-badging their car anyway - don't know if it would be different for glass.

In order to improve my view out the front (and stay on topic)...

Tried solvent (cellulose & acetone), didnt work. Bit wary of a heat gun on the glass.
    eoin_s wrote: »
    I was going to say sorry for going OT, but this was a stupid thread to begin with.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,880 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My disc holders are so far down the dash blocks me seeing them and my toll transponders behind the rear view (used to be *on* the rearview until I realised that what was causing it to fail on the M4). Can't see any of them. Obvious far less obtrusive than the legally required L plates were when I had them ages back!

Can't remove the dealers sticker off the back window, though - seems welded on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

MYOB wrote: »
    Can't remove the dealers sticker off the back window, though - seems welded on...

LOL, They must get their adhesives from the same place as the "Do not park here" stickers. - The amount of people I've seen with about a quarter of the sticker torn off(presumably after hours of effort) is hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

stevec wrote: »

You could put a square of the clear sticky film for covering school books on the window and stick the sticker to that, Then when you pull it off it's only the adhesive from the school book covering that was attached to the window. That stuff comes off clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Cionád wrote: »
    LOL, They must get their adhesives from the same place as the "Do not park here" stickers. - The amount of people I've seen with about a quarter of the sticker torn off(presumably after hours of effort) is hilarious.
    Diet Coke is the job for them things.

Stekelly wrote: »
    You could put a square of the clear sticky film for covering school books on the window and stick the sticker to that, Then when you pull it off it's only the adhesive from the school book covering that was attached to the window. That stuff comes off clean.

I'll give it a go next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Probably because it's a legal requirement that they be in the bottom nearside. ;)

No its not...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Oilrig wrote: »
    No its not...
    In a vehicle equipped with a windscreen, the tax disc must be displayed in the lower left side and not more than 2 inches from the edge of the windscreen.

I don't have time now to dig out the relevant Statute Instrument but I may get a chance tonight. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

funny, I dont find that I have a much better field of vision without a tax or NCT disc blocking me windscreen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

In a vehicle equipped with a windscreen, the tax disc must be displayed in the lower left side and not more than 2 inches from the edge of the windscreen.

I don't have time now to dig out the relevant Statute Instrument but I may get a chance tonight. ;)

I'd also appreciate it if you could find the statutory instrument where it says that.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

These government departments and county councils should actually be making these stickers much smaller, similiar to the size of those stickers on the back of German registration plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

G Luxel wrote: »
    These government departments and county councils should actually be making these stickers much smaller, similiar to the size of those stickers on the back of German registration plates.

Be careful what you wish for, the German system is expensive and much more of a pain in the neck than a few stickers on he windscreen.

At least here you can do everything by post/online (barring the NCT test), over there any change requires a day off and endless queues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd also appreciate it if you could find the statutory instrument where it says that.

Thanks

Someone posted it here a while ago, I tried looking for it but couldn't find it. Even tried transport.ie and had no look there.

Advertisement