Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Too many displays required on car windscreens. It is getting ridiculous

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

G Luxel wrote: »
    These government departments and county councils should actually be making these stickers much smaller, similiar to the size of those stickers on the back of German registration plates.

Just DIY tbh.

I did: colour-scan the originals, shrink to appropriate holder size (smaller, needless to say), colour-print, cut and place. Keep originals handy in glove box, in case the facsimile are ever queried (never have been so far, with many C/Ps passed through and facsimiles checked out).

Most cars have 'standard size windscreens', but some cars have a fairly small windscreen area (classics, sportcars, etc.) wherein yes, many discs/badges can become an issue, even at the 'regulatory' bottom left.

I wouldn't say the thread is totally pointless. Marginally so at best :D It could become more interesting if people were to suggest alternatives, I suppose - e.g. 'combined' discs/badges (e.g. tax/nct or tax/insurance or... dunno!), or e.g. doing away with having to display them (or even issuing them) UK-style or FR-style (this supposes modern Gardai / VLA database accessible by pandas in R/T... some decades away, then :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'd also appreciate it if you could find the statutory instrument where it says that.

Thanks

(2) The insurance disc shall be carried in a conspicuous position on the windscreen of the vehicle in such manner that it shall be both visible and readily accessible for inspection and be so located that it does not obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven or in the case of a vehicle not fitted with a windscreen in a conspicuous position on the near side of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tigger wrote: »
    (2) The insurance disc shall be carried in a conspicuous position on the windscreen of the vehicle in such manner that it shall be both visible and readily accessible for inspection and be so located that it does not obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven or in the case of a vehicle not fitted with a windscreen in a conspicuous position on the near side of the vehicle.

That's not the clearest - does it just have to be on the near side if it doesn't have a windscreen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

eoin_s wrote: »
    That's not the clearest - does it just have to be on the near side if it doesn't have a windscreen?

nope
    just out of tghe way and conspicious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

esel wrote: »
    Get a life. The driver's view is not blocked in any way there. :(

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Tigger wrote: »

Where did you obtain that regulation?
    In any event, it does not specify displaying the disc on the lower left side of the windscreen.:confused:

I've searched a couple of the 1997 statutory instruments, the rules of the road, rsa, etc but I can't seem to find anything on this particular issue.

Also, can you tell me does a car have to display an insurance disc if it is parked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

There are far, far worse things out there than how many discs are on a windscreen.

Like impending speed cameras, Dual Carriageways that should be classified as Motorways and given appropriate speed limits, the threat of the end to Autobahns with no speed limit in Germany etc. Need I go on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Ah here lads can you not find something that is actually a problem and no offense not something as stupid as that unless you need a booster seat to see over the steering wheel there is no problem with vision and that is a really bad spot to put it if you are a small person. Why dont you stick it up at the top on the passenger side you dont need to see through that part of the windscreen. Well unless your passenger likes putting their head on the dashboard and looking into the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Probably because it's a legal requirement that they be in the bottom nearside. ;)
    Oilrig wrote: »
    No its not...
    In a vehicle equipped with a windscreen, the tax disc must be displayed in the lower left side and not more than 2 inches from the edge of the windscreen.

I don't have time now to dig out the relevant Statute Instrument but I may get a chance tonight. ;)
    I'd also appreciate it if you could find the statutory instrument where it says that.

Thanks
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Someone posted it here a while ago, I tried looking for it but couldn't find it. Even tried transport.ie and had no look there.
    Here you go!

Road vehicle (Registration and licensing) Regulations 1958

(Please note - 'licence' is the official name for the tax disc)

4.—(1) The licence for a vehicle shall be carried on the vehicle at all times when the vehicle is in use on a public road.

(2) The licence shall be carried on the vehicle as follows :—

(a) on a bicycle (other than a bicycle used for drawing a sidecar), tricycle or invalid carriage—in a conspicuous position on the near side of the vehicle in front of the driving seat ;

(b) on a bicycle used for drawing a sidecar—on the near side of the handlebar of the bicycle or the near side of the combination in front of the driving seat ;

(c) on a pedestrian-controlled vehicle—in a conspicuous position on the near side of the vehicle ;

(d) on any other vehicle—

(i) where the vehicle is fitted with a glass windscreen extending across the front of the vehicle to the near side—facing forwards on the near lower corner of the glass and either on the glass or within two inches of it, or

(ii) on the near side of the vehicle, facing towards the near side of the road and not less than two feet six inches nor more than six feet six inches from ground level and between two imaginary parallel lines, the first drawn vertically through the rear-most part of the driving seat or cab (or where there is no such seat or cab, the foot plate) and the second drawn vertically six inches in front of the base of the front windscreen or, where there is no front windscreen, through a point four feet forward from the first line.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Here you go!

Good on ya - I know what a pain finding that stuff can be....:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

peasant wrote: »
    Behind the rear view mirror is actually a handy place ...the stickers fill the gap that most sun visors leave open.

thats where i put them. nice and neat. Im surprised that there isn't that many of us doing that!

i just display the tax and insur though, I hate things blocking my view.

ramanujan wrote: »
    thats where i put them. nice and neat. Im surprised that there isn't that many of us doing that!
    Probably because it's illegal! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I have an excuse though for putting them there.

My car is LHD and in the prescribed place on the "nearside" the stickers actually do interfere with my field of vision.

peasant wrote: »
    My car is LHD and in the prescribed place on the "nearside" the stickers actually do interfere with my field of vision.
    But wouldn't you 'nearside' be our 'offside'! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭nytraveller

In the States it’s illegal to have any display or obstruction on any part of your windscreen, all licence details are displayed on a small coloured sticker on the reg plate.

Not true. In NY stickers must be placed on the drivers side of the windscreen. 1 sticker is for registration, the other is inspection. Inspection sticker is 1 inch square and registration is only slightly bigger. They're on the drivers side so the cop can see them easily, but risks getting hit by passing cars!! (which happens alot)

Never understood why Ireland needs to have "disc holders". Shouldnt insurance companies/tax office/ nct just make a small sticker for each??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

go away with nearside and offside ...took me years to be able to tell left from right ...don't confuse me now :D

Apparantly so! The gardai seem happy enough with my up to date tax and insurance when they check, will move it if one of them ask. But for the moment I like it up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

But wouldn't you 'nearside' be our 'offside'! :D

Doesn't nearside refer to the side nearest the edge of the road? If he's on Irish roads that would still be the right hand side as you look at the car head on. All this left hand nearside right hand drive mumbo jumbo is confusing. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Mods, puhleeeease lock this thread. It was dumb to start with.....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

esel wrote: »
    Mods, puhleeeease lock this thread. It was dumb to start with.....

If this thread isn't meant to live, it will just die naturally. There shouldn't be any need to lock it.

• Advertisement

OP was just expressing an opinion, threads not the worst, go ese esel

ramanujan wrote: »
    Apparantly so! The gardai seem happy enough with my up to date tax and insurance when they check, will move it if one of them ask. But for the moment I like it up there!
    I was stopped recently at a check point on the R132 at Blake's Cross, Lusk Co Dublin. The Garda who stopped and approached me was a bit "snotty" as they say. All my documentation was in order, and she did a tour of the car. I presumed it was also in order but she made a few notes in her book. Anyway, to cut a long story short, she informed me that my discs were misplaced on the windscreen (mine are on the upper nearside)! Of course, I knew that already but the temptation to say that she had "litttle to bother her" was overwhelmning! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

I always put mine in the top left hand corner of the windscreen, behind the sunvisor which is always down as I don't see the need to watch for low flying aircraft etc.

Is there a position it's legally meant to be in. Can't find anything specific in the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Is there a position it's legally meant to be in. Can't find anything specific in the rule of the road.

Look a few posts ahead of yours - it's posted in bold red font!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

eoin_s wrote: »
    Look a few posts ahead of yours - it's posted in bold red font!

Cheers, that really is typical legal speak bullsh!t.

Does it really matter where it is as long as its visable and up todate, and not causing an obstruction to the drivers vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

WHITE_P wrote: »
    I always put mine in the top left hand corner of the windscreen, behind the sunvisor which is always down as I don't see the need to watch for low flying aircraft etc.
    That's where mine is too, as far out of the way as possible, and that's where it's staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Road vehicle (Registration and licensing) Regulations 1958

(Please note - 'licence' is the official name for the tax disc)

4.—(1) The licence for a vehicle shall be carried on the vehicle at all times when the vehicle is in use on a public road.

(2) The licence shall be carried on the vehicle as follows :—

(d) on any other vehicle—

(i) where the vehicle is fitted with a glass windscreen extending across the front of the vehicle to the near side—facing forwards on the near lower corner of the glass and either on the glass or within two inches of it, or

(ii) on the near side of the vehicle, facing towards the near side of the road and not less than two feet six inches nor more than six feet six inches from ground level and between two imaginary parallel lines, the first drawn vertically through the rear-most part of the driving seat or cab (or where there is no such seat or cab, the foot plate) and the second drawn vertically six inches in front of the base of the front windscreen or, where there is no front windscreen, through a point four feet forward from the first line.

Thanks for that.

However, having read the second paragraph, it seems that the discs could be in the top corner of the windscreen on the passenger's side- as it states discs can be displayed up to 6 feet 6 from ground level.

I always display the discs on the top left corner anyway, as otherwise the disc-holder will start peeling at the bottom of the windscreen. Been through plenty of checkpoints and location of discs was never mentioned.

Advertisement