Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use by today, still safe to eat?

• 06-05-2008 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hey I have a lovely looking fillet steak but the use by date is today?

Is it safe to eat? Is there anyway to tell whether its bad or not?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Steak is supposed to be old to eat :D as long as ya dont puke when you smell it, it should be ok. Seriously..

Redpunto wrote: »
    Steak is supposed to be old to eat :D as long as ya dont puke when you smell it, it should be ok. Seriously..

I accept no liability or responsibility for any food poisoning, pukin or other in regard to the abovementioned post :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If I was in your position and it smelt fine as mentioned above, then I would eat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

It doesn't smell fresh but it doesnt reak either if that makes sense?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Do you know what fresh steak does smell like? If it had turned you'd know by the wiff straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I'll eat it and if I don't write again in this thread it is because it was grand... that or i'm dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Should be fine. They calculate these dates in "bad scenarios". e.g. lying in an open supermarket fridge right up until that date, if it was in a home fridge it will last WAY longer. Temps give exponential differences to stuff going off.

My housemate is really paranoid about meat, always asking me to smell it, I get loads free from him, he just won't believe it is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

I think it should be OK. There's usually a bit of leeway on use-by dates. It would be to risky to cut it really fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Why not put it in to a marinade? It will help to preserve it for a couple of extra days. Use by dates are really something that you should'nt ignore. A lot of money is spent in research to determine use-by dates to protect both the customer and and the producer.

Then again, if it don't smell or move on the dish or feel really slimey, it's up to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

mildews wrote: »
    Why not put it in to a marinade? It will help to preserve it for a couple of extra days. Use by dates are really something that you should'nt ignore. A lot of money is spent in research to determine use-by dates to protect both the customer and and the producer.

Then again, if it don't smell or move on the dish or feel really slimey, it's up to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I agree,as long as it doesn't crawl away from yah it should b grand:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mildews wrote: »
    A lot of money is spent in research to determine use-by dates to protect both the customer and and the producer.
    Exactly, and as I said before they have to veer towards caution and presume poor storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Eeehhhhhhh SHOUTMAN you still with us. How was the steak. :D:D

Advertisement