Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FCP Conference this week

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

I may not have this worded correctly, but it's the gist of it anyway. The difficulty in defining what is target shooting and therefore what a range is was discussed at length, but it appears that the onus is on the range operator (whether ad hoc or otherwise) to ensure that it is authorised. The range inspector stated that he wasn't going to be 'jumping hedgerows' in order to find ranges. smile.gif

o yes i can see that happing NOT 1 were i shoot i hope he can jump
    12 feat high. 2 in 7.5 years in mayo i was stopped only one time why
    are you were a seat belt never asked for 1 road tax 2 insurance 3
    nct cert ans never so i can not wait to meet SUPERCOP:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

true chem about hollywood but i think people was expecting alot more than what was posted today.the way i look at it its the first step on the ladder maybe a very long ladder but its a start.

hair you drive:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

patbundy wrote: »
    its kinda quiet in here tonight lads
    Well some of us are shattered ;)

to the lads that went to the fcp to represent us and kept us imformed....thanks guys

• Advertisement

hair you drive:eek:

o yes my wife mad:p why i enjoy it went she is not around:Dlol
    pat have a look at my post in National Country Fair 2008 thank steve
    tell me what you think

the poor woman :D:D:D.ya count me in steve

the poor woman :D:D:D.ya count me in steve
    pissss dont tell the wife why i patbundy less on boards.ie see will kill you
    first and go hunting for the hair in mayo:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Was thinking of maybe inviting some of the speaker from the DoJ/gardi to a range shoot, so they can see what its all about and maybe:confused: dis spell some of the images they have in there heads.

It might just get us up that ladder abit faster;) and who knows some might even get a feel for it:eek:

it might help chem

• Advertisement

thehair wrote: »
    pissss dont tell the wife why i patbundy less on boards.ie see will kill you
    first and go hunting for the hair in mayo:p

why hunt for hair,which one of you is bald:p

chem wrote: »
    Was thinking of maybe inviting some of the speaker from the DoJ/gardi to a range shoot, so they can see what its all about and maybe:confused: dis spell some of the images they have in there heads.

It might just get us up that ladder abit faster;) and who knows some might even get a feel for it:eek:

it is worth a try steve:cool:

chem i did ask my fo out a few times but she declined

i wonder why pat mmmmmmmm :D:p i have send to you pat a pm
    did you get it

just got it, will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just to get back on topic momentarily :)

One of the highlights of the last couple of days, was the informal chats over dinner/pints with different people at the event.

One of the more instructive conversations I had was with the Surrey firearms manager. We were asking how the licence application procedure worked in his area and he described it like this:

We receive the application and I allocate it to one of my officers (he has eight: all retired policemen). The officers have to do a certain number of appointments a week, but they can choose the times and days so long as they cover their list. (He described it as one of the nicest jobs imaginable, because they are treated with courtesy, cups of tea and bikkies without exception :)).

The officer will typically spend an hour with the applicant and assess all the usual factors such as 'good reason' etc. and get a 'feel' for the applicant in the process. They will also suggest possible best sites within the house for the gun safe and advise on other possible security enhancements (things like locks and windows/doors etc.).

The applicant is advised not to install a gun safe or any other security aspects until they have been approved.

At this point we were openmouthed with amazement and I commented that it sounded like they were providing a service. :eek:

"Yes" was the matter of fact response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Same as me Pat. But if the FCB asked all involved out for a multi disaplined days shooting, so they can see each of the sports. It might just change there minds? It might even teach them, a thing or too after they fire afew shots:cool:

i totaly agree chem

pm back steve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Folks,

I'd like to say thinks to everyone who has provided us with a view into some of what was discussed at the conference.

Is there to be an official outcome from the conference?
    Publication of Presentations?
    Position Paper(s) on certain topic(s)?
    Minutes of the workshops that were held?
    Next steps?

In terms of why it was so quiet here on boards - I know a few regular posters, including myself, were at an excellent Practical Pistol shoot in Ballymena today.

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Bananaman wrote: »

I'd like to say thinks to everyone who has provided us with a view into some of what was discussed at the conference.

Is there to be an official outcome from the conference?
    Publication of Presentations?
    Position Paper(s) on certain topic(s)?
    Minutes of the workshops that were held?
    Next steps?

We were definitely promised an official report on the conference. The term "executive summary" was used, but I suspect it might be a good bit more detailed than that. You might get more out of Sparks' one; you're not getting mine - it's far too prejudicial.

Regarding the workshops, all 3 were held concurrently and there was only the one Rapporteur so I doubt she got all 3.

There was talk of doing it annually, but who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I would not hold out much hope, they (DOJ) were given legal advice that because persons reloading were in some way accredited ( they want us to do training)by the state, any accidents could lead the state ( State claims agency) being liable to damages. It was pointed out that the state licences shooters but is not liable for damages with shooting accidents.
    GB then said they could be used in pipebombs, ( real joe duffy stuff here) and it was pointed out that all that was needed was a visit to the supermarket to get the ingredients.

GB also pointed out that reloading was being tightened up in the UK, And the dangers about underloads leading to breaches blowing up. again it was all a bit grasping at straws

He also mentioned that the powder storage would come under the new explosives act. and that all places would need to be inspected to allow powders to be kept. And there was not the resources to do this.

I really dont think they want to allow handloading : I feel that it might be ignorance about what reloading entails, I would love to send my old RCBS training video to the department, but cannot find it - does anyone out there have a copy ?

I am really disappointed to hear this. :(

Well look at it like this Veg - it took years to get them to even talk to people, and now they're hosting conferences and the like. That's progress. Reloading is safe and sane and the rest of the world does it. I think we'll get it too, it'll just take a while longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

Vegeta wrote: »
    I am really disappointed to hear this. :(

Listening to GB reminds me of the attitude of his department from 1972 to 2004 when the high court took over!

If GB were to read their own recently published legislation on "Stores for Explosives Order 2007" SI 804 of 2007, he would read two very important things about propellant used in reloading:

1) The risk of exposion!!
    Hazard types, 4. (1) (c) Hazard Type 3............an explosive which has a fire hazard and either a minor blast hazard or minor projection hazard or both but not a mass explosion hazard.
    2) Inpsection of storage facilites for home loading, to even consider that such a location need be inspected is beyond belief and excuses of resources being an issue when yet again the same legislation requires no seperation distance for Hazard Type 3 explosive if stored in quantites of less than 5Kg.

Pity they can't get a grip on this one, and to say that there is a risk of criminals using propellant in pipe bombs is the old chesnut.

Implementation of the reloading segment of the CJA 2006 is really the most straighforward of all the sections given a bit of logical thinking on the matter.

But then virtually nothing else has been implemented so it is unlikley that this will move before we are all old men.

Silly thing about all this is that reloading is widely practiced in any case, Why because it is not presently against the law. Nobody to date has blown themselves or the family home up, it would appear that the established practice is proven to be safe. I have not seen any blown rifles or pistols due to under or overloaded ammunition, I have see some barrels damaged with squib loads in factory ammo.

Had a great day with the family up at the Battle of the Boyne site on Sunday, there was black powder guns being fired all over the place, black powder!!! If there is facility at these lcations for making noise why not allow legitimate shooters practice home loading, it is one hell of a lot safer. But then DOJ have decided in the "Stores for explosives Order 2007" That shooters powder includes, black powder, smokless powder or any other propellant, what a big differnece between smokless and blackpowder there is!

Listening to GB reminds me of the attitude of his department from 1972 to 2004 when the high court took over!
    To be fair, GB's attitude on everything else is completely different to what we've seen from the DoJ from time immemorial through to 2006 or so - and he may have his hands tied on this issue, we wouldn't know for sure.

And to be more accurate, the High Court didn't take over in 2004 - the biggest change was from the Supreme Court in 2002, everything else has followed on from Dunne. And the CJA2006 is mostly a reaction to that, overturning the judgement from Dunne with what was originally a single line in a miscellaneous section of an unrelated bill. The person who thinks you can use the judiciary as a stick to beat the legislators with is severely mistaken, as lots of people have been proving in this country for donkey's years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

GB is clearly a very progressive and reasonable man, in fairness the fact the conference took place at all is amazing. Saying that, the stance on reloading leaves me scratching my head. I can not understand it. It is so clearly flawed.

Government might be liable.....Wrong, they're not liable when people issued driving licenses crash so how would they be liable here.

Criminals might use is it in pipe bombs........lovely, punish law abiding citizens for the potential actions of criminals. Who after all can just order in actual explosives with a drug shipment or get it in Northern Ireland, a place with a troubled history, where reloading is legal. I find this point quite insulting to be honest.

Safety of shooters (over loading, under loading etc)........reloading is practised in the UK and Northern Ireland so where are the figures on accidents. Even if there are accidents (which I am sure would be in the fractions of a percent anyway or even ppm) what do they care, they're not liable anyway as already pointed out.

It really appears (to me anyway) that someone is forcing GB's hand on this one as I fail to see how a reasonable person like GB would take this stance.

Someone mentioned that the FCP has been given a document on reloading by the DoJ, anyone know what's on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Any chance some of our factory ammo selling friends might be whispering in GBs ear?

B'Man

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Bananaman wrote: »
    Any chance some of our factory ammo selling friends might be whispering in GBs ear?

Unlikely.
    • They'll make plenty of money selling the components and tools.
    • Doing so could compromise their ability to get other stuff out of the FCP.

Not to mention that that's basicly accusing GB (a DoJ civil servant, and whom even Des Crofton is calling the best thing to happen to Irish shooting in decades) of being bribed by companies like... well, insert name here. Or rather, don't, because it'd be breaking the big sticky at the top of the forum about making accusations at named individuals...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

IRLConor wrote: »
    Unlikely.
    • They'll make plenty of money selling the components and tools.
    • Doing so could compromise their ability to get other stuff out of the FCP.

Agree, reloading doesnt save money , you spend the same or more,but
    you can shoot more often..it will expand their product/sales base.

Advertisement