Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the best & most demanding Volunteer experience?

• 06-05-2008 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on travelling for a couple of years but I don't just want to do the Backpacker thing. When I tell people I'm going travelling, I want to say I'm actually doing something worthwhile, not just messing. Are there any really intense volunteering experiences that anyone has done that they could recommend? I don't have qualifications, does that matter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I volunteered for 2 months in Guatemala after Hurricane Stan. That was demanding. Long hours and also very demanding mentally as you would find bodies. Some times it was children. But it was a great feeling when you would find a family trapped under debris. I done that with the American Red Cross and i needed to do training. I had also helped with wildfires the previous summer.

I'm sure you can do disaster volunteering without experience or qualifications. You just may not be allowed do actual rescue stuff. Just removing rumble and debris which still is a huge help. A lot of non disaster volunteer courses require some level of comptency in the local langauge. Search on Thorntree or something for free volunteer courses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Ya you'll have to do a course for most things. I had to do a year course for my placement in India. If you don't have qualifications, would you not try and get some and then volunteer? Even learning another language or doing a tefl course will help. You have to think of something you could do that an unskilled local couldn't. Otherwise you'll have to pay someone like USIT for giving you a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

Even if you're willing to pay, that's not a problem, what would be the best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

The best is what you want to do and what suits you. Do you wanna teach, disaster relief, help build houses, do something with animals, etc. Where do you want to do it? You have to narrow things down yourself and then look for an organization.

Also without qualifications you are basically an unskilled worker. They have plenty of people like that in their own country without outside help. So you'd be doing yourself a favor by a least doing some of course. Be it first aid, TEFL, learning a foreign language or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

Does anyone know any good international volunteering websites? I tried worldvolunteerweb.org & Idealis.org but they don't really have a forum where I can get answers to questions? Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Not sure about forums but I believe Irish Aid has a centre in Dublin. Think it could be O Connell street. I read that they have a drop in centre where people can ask questions but I haven't been in Ireland since it opened so I'm not sure.
    There's info on the Irish Aid website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Merged.

Glacier, you do not need to start a new thread for every little tangent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

glacier, id just like to say that there are plenty of organisations out there which could use your help teaching english, helping in an orphanage if you get a medical qual like first aid or something, there are endless possibilities, but i would be weary of signing up to a volunteer experience like i-to-i for example where you have to pay a couple of hundred a week as part of your 'funding'.

kinda off topic, but i-to-i are a profit making organisation so dont be fooled into parting your cash with them!

good luck finding a volunteer experience!

Advertisement