Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap A8??

Options
  • 06-05-2008 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Rite,

I love the A8's and would love to own one, even if it was only for a year or two. But i was looking at a good few years down the line before i got one.

Then i saw this online, and now im wondering, whats the catch. Im of the belief if its too good to be true, it is.

There isnt more info on the page and the one pic isnt very detailed.

Should i look into this with HPI checks and vehicle inspections, or just ignore this as probably a A8 that could have been in an accident?

such peril im in :o

495609-1.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The catch is the 60k service.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

mike65 wrote: »
    The catch is the 60k service.

Mike.

how much would that be?

other cars that age are going for 25k sterling so thats why im wary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dunno but I would only buy it if the service was carried out, it doesn't mention a recent major service so its probably not happened. Any car as sophisicated as the A8 is a risk if it has ANY holes in the history, that said it is still under warrenty so that should not be a problem.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If I was selling a car like that, I would have a lot more in the ad than what the seller has put in....

sounds too good to be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    If I was selling a car like that, I would have a lot more in the ad than what the seller has put in....

sounds too good to be true

Email the given link and i'm sure youll figure it out for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

For what it's worth, I don't know that there's much point in having an A8 without a 300bhp V8. It's never going to be a cheap car to run, so it might as well be quick & refined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

the a8 4.0 Tdi is every car you'll ever need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Worse case scenario it's an insurance loss. A HPI check would confirm this.

I would agree with what was said above though. It's due a major service which probably includes the belts, brakes, fluids, etc. This could set you back at least €3k at an Audi dealer. I don't think you'd have much choice but to use a dealer for a car like this. Running it will not be cheap, no matter how much you convince yourself. The quoted MPG sounds very aspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Advert appears to be lacking in detail for such a high-end car.

It doesnt even say the engine size!
    If its the 3.0Tdi bottom book , ie trade price with 26k miles is £25,875.
    Mileage hits it for £4k , trade price is £21k.
    This thing would easily make £19k+ in a UKauction.

If its the 4.2 Tdi add £6k to the above prices ^^^.

Suspicioulsy low price.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Is it specfically an A8 your looking for, or would you consider something else along the VW Phaeton lines?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Interestingly BMW and Merc have cancelled their V8 diesels, as the models that currently have them are updated/replaced, the V8 diesel will then be "phased out" with them too, because of fuel consumption and CO2 related issues, and also because twin turbo 6 cylinder engines, which will replace these V8 diesels, will be able to give the same performance in a very short space of time but of course superior fuel consumption.

No plans by either make to cancel V8 petrols or even V12 petrols though, which says a lot about their plans to start selling diesels and how sucessful they think this venture will be in markets like the US, Asia etc where petrol is still very much king.

delly wrote: »
    Is it specfically an A8 your looking for, or would you consider something else along the VW Phaeton lines?

Well id love an A8, but it was not an imediate purchase. Just when i saw the price of the one in that advertisement, thought it may be worth a look

Emailed the ad, and got a reply 5 mins later

Hello,

Thank you for contacting me about the 2006 AUDI A8 SE TDI QUATTRO AUTO BLUE with 58600 miles. About the car : The car is in perfect conditions ,no flaws or dents, no scratches or any kind of damage,no engine problems. The interior is in like new condition and has never been smoked in. The car is still UK registered so you will not have to pay any custom taxes.

The problem is that I had to move with my family in Spain where I got a new job transfer. I brought the car here with me with the intention of driving it but when I found out about the very high import duties and all the restrictions regarding registration and emissions tests here I've changed my mind and I've decided to sell the vehicle. There is also the Right Hand Drive problem, I find it very difficult to drive a RHD car here.I want to sell it in UK because is still registered there. VRM number is HJ06 NNT.

The amount you will have to pay in order to own this vehicle is £14,900 and I will pay for the delivery fees to your location! I want to take this opportunity to assure you that this deal is 100% legitimate, the financial part of this deal will be managed by a third party, in this way both of us will be protected.

So if you really want it please email me as soon as possible.

Thank you,
    Peter Meehan

So.... Scamo then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

run in the opposite direction...

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

This is a known scam...the 'third party' will be a shell company.

STAY AWAY!!!!!

Haha,

I asked him could he send the car and keys to me, and id send him a cheque for the amount he wanted.......never got a response.....wonder why. :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well id love an A8, but it was not an immediate purchase. Just when i saw the price of the one in that advertisement, thought it may be worth a look

Well if you are flexible, you should take a look at one to see if its a runner. I can't remember who, but someone here recently brought in a stunning UK example IIRC.

*insert token Top Gear clip*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

I'd have a 4.2 TDI LWB A8 please. Drove an A8 over in Germany and fell in love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

the a8 4.0 Tdi is every car you'll ever need.

And it's revised replacement, the 4.2 TDi is even better! Quicker than a 535d to 60mph!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Haha,

I asked him could he send the car and keys to me, and id send him a cheque for the amount he wanted.......never got a response.....wonder why. :D

You should have offeded to send a check for too much and get him to send you back the difference:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Soarer

You should've asked him where the car is in Spain, as you've a few good friends living over there, and they're willing to go have a look at it.
    No matter where he says the car is, tell him that insert friends name here lives in insert neighbouring town's name here, and he can come have a look at it today/tomorrow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

This was discussed on PH boards a while back.

Pistonheads.co.uk is the real site complete with active forums.
    Pistonheads.com is the address of the ad , check out .co.uk it doesnt have the A8 mentioned on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Don't ya just love these Third party stories.
    I was trying to buy a campervan from the uk recently and it got all bullshoitty with third party elements introduced at the last minute of the deal............I just WALKED AWAY.
    These Tans must think us Oirish are right ejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

But, but, he took the opportunity to explain to you that this deal is 100% legitimate!

what could possibly go wrong:D

Churchy wrote: »
    This was discussed on PH boards a while back.

Pistonheads.co.uk is the real site complete with active forums.
    Pistonheads.com is the address of the ad , check out .co.uk it doesnt have the A8 mentioned on it.

so does that mean pistonheads.com is a dodgy site and .co.uk is the one everyone should use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Robertr wrote: »
    This is a known scam...the 'third party' will be a shell company.

STAY AWAY!!!!!

And the surname of 'Meehan' doesn't exactly inspire confidence either! The word traveller comes to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

And the surname of 'Meehan' doesn't exactly inspire confidence either! The word traveller comes to mind...

What a ridiculous thing to say. So should one not buy anything in the future from anyone named McCarthy or Keenan?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

eljono wrote: »
    What a ridiculous thing to say.

Indeed. Consider yourself warned, tomcollins97

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The odds are that they are Nigerian and just picking European names. I very much doubt that travellers are now into Internet Fraud.
    These Tans must think us Oirish are right ejits.

What are "Tans" (other than the orange things I see on Grafton Street)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Had similar situation with a BMW advertised in North. This is the crap I got

Hello ,
    The car is in perfect working condition. It's in showroom condition, no scratches, no dents, accident-free ,full service history, HPI clear ,no outstanding finance.
    The car is still UK registered, the problem is that at this moment I am located in Germany for the next 2 months because I've just started a new business here with an old friend of mine. Also I must let you know that the car is here with me but I will arrange to be shipped at your door without any problem. The car meets United Kingdom DOT and EPA guidelines so there will be no problems regarding UK Customs policy on receiving the car .It's a UK model. You will receive the original invoice, logbook, keys and all the documents to register it into your name .

Genuine reason for sale: unfortunately a divorce is forcing me to sell it under market value.
    The sale will be through a third part, WorldPay-Internet Payment Solutions, meaning that WorldPay will hold and insure your money until receipt of the vehicle in good condition. You will be given a 7 days inspection period before releasing the payment. The inspection period is starting from the day you will receive the vehicle.

I Said I would fly to Germany with the cash and pick up the car in person ...the reply was

Hello
    I prefer to close the deal through WorldPay because this way we will be both protected.
    If you are interested please reply with your name and address so I can register the transaction with WorldPay and they will contact you with all the payment instructions and buyer's protection policy.

Best Regards, Patrick

My reply Thanks but no thanks

Advertisement