Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funniest Ignorant Comment

Options
  • 06-05-2008 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Ok guys get'em out.

I think we all have to remember something we said in our newbie stages.

Mine for about six months was "More reverb"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

"That sounded really, really great lads. Now can we do it one more time." :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Funniest I have heard, that I can remember anyway is from a touring engineer who was on stage ringing out the monitors with our monitor engineer driving the desk and graphics.

Finding a certain frequency taking off she out of nowhere said:

"It sounds like 1KHz. But higher."

Turns out the frequency she was referencing that was the problem was 4 or 5KHz. Just a little different me thinks.

Ended up slagging her for the rest of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i was doing sound at a gig in the new theatre last july. I was recording it to protools backstage and also to minidisk from the desk.

Now it was a long sound check and i was tired, and had been up hanging mics from the ceiling (i'm scared sh1tless of heights!).

So i stuck a blank minidisk in the mindisk recorder, and spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't rewind.
    In my defense it was one of those ones that look like a DAT recorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Rigging in the Project Arts Centre for a show a while back, was trying to rig up something for communications between back-stage and the tech box (first time there).

Turns out there's a very popular propreitary interface (some form of DIN) used in all the theaters in Ireland which I hadn't a rashers about. Came back with a pair of these wild looking things attached to heaphone/boom mic's thinking that they were (a) Wireless and (b) Weren't working - completely destroyed my credibility.

Oh how we laughed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

too many to mention, and still making them.:D
    but,
    Very tired one night I leaned one hand on a tape machine which tipped up on it's side on it's trolly. In the machine room behind the glass doors, I go crashing to the ground, tape every where. Shaken, I get up compose myself, all indignant like Basil Faulty hoping no one noticed. Only to notice the music stopped and the whole control room looking on with their mouths wide open, and the engineer shaking his head.

Ye Langer!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

sei046 wrote: »
    "More reverb"

Reverb is everyones friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

How about "Are you going to be putting the accordian on that?". :D
    Fella thought I was slagging him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Reminds me of a story i heard. I think it was darren mcgoldrick. In his rig he had a multieffect unit rigged across the vocal channels in the monitor mix. If bands went over time he would turn off the bypass and this kicked in a pitch shift of one semitone. The singers would hear everything they sang off and then try to compensate to each other. They would then look to the band as to why they had just transposed the song mid song. The guitarists would start to doubt themselves and shif the song down.

Meanwhile there was no effect out front and the crowd could only hear the band members trying to get in tune with each with absolutely no idea as to why. Safe to say he didnt have too many problems with bands going over time.

The multieffect was called the suck button

Reminds me of a story i heard. I think it was darren mcgoldrick. In his rig he had a multieffect unit rigged across the vocal channels in the monitor mix. If bands went over time he would turn off the bypass and this kicked in a pitch shift of one semitone. The singers would hear everything they sang off and then try to compensate to each other. They would then look to the band as to why they had just transposed the song mid song. The guitarists would start to doubt themselves and shif the song down.

Meanwhile there was no effect out front and the crowd could only hear the band members trying to get in tune with each with absolutely no idea as to why. Safe to say he didnt have too many problems with bands going over time.

that's friggin genius!!
    I only once had to ask a band to get offstage in the SU venue in maynooth. I turned down their monitors and not one of the band noticed.
    Kids, protect your ears and don't become a deaf musician.

Hhmm, I don't like that one! If a sound engineer ever did that to me I'd never touch them again with a barge pole and wouldn't expect others to either. But then again bands shouldn't be breaking curfews!

• Advertisement

Ye its a really harsh way of dealing with them but I suppose if you warn bands that your seriously out of pocket if they go past a certain time then thems the breaks!

Ye its a really harsh way of dealing with them but I suppose if you warn bands that your seriously out of pocket if they go past a certain time then thems the breaks!

I'm wearing two hats in this regard. Sound man and musician. As a singer I would be livid at anyone doing something that to me while I'm onstage.

I work on gigs with the tightest curfews all the time. There are other ways to deal with rule breakers. Still, I'd probably find it funny if it wasn't me that's up there.

If i have a band well warned that they need to be off by such a time ( I usually allow for 5 or 6 mins) and they keep going even though i give them the nod I just power off the rack and put the lid on the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

In one of my first recording sessions I spent ages doing loads of takes of acoustic guitar. The guitarist just couldn't play the track. He couldn't play guitar actually. But I told him on the talkback that I'd keep loop recording the track and record every take and asked him to keep trying. After a few more takes the rest of the band in the control room said to drop the bridge we were trying to record. So we went for tea and fag break etc... Hour and a half later we headed back into the studio and the guitarist was still recording on loop record. Nobody remembered to tell him we had stopped. It was really funny, hundreds of takes of this bridge. So we spent the rest of the night apologising to the guy and listening to his takes. Not one of them was right.

QuadLeo wrote: »
    In one of my first recording sessions I spent ages doing loads of takes of acoustic guitar. The guitarist just couldn't play the track. He couldn't play guitar actually. But I told him on the talkback that I'd keep loop recording the track and record every take and asked him to keep trying. After a few more takes the rest of the band in the control room said to drop the bridge we were trying to record. So we went for tea and fag break etc... Hour and a half later we headed back into the studio and the guitarist was still recording on loop record. Nobody remembered to tell him we had stopped. It was really funny, hundreds of takes of this bridge. So we spent the rest of the night apologising to the guy and listening to his takes. Not one of them was right.

LMAO!! That's classic, best so far!

aw man that is classic. the poor guy. I remember actually recording my dad one day. We were doing fiddle takes and i was taking a few passes at a solo. I would let the track roll up to the solo and then drop in about a half second before the first note. But everytime it got to the solo he would ask to stop for a second to do something so I said fair enough. After 5 or 6 runs at this I looked in to see what he was doing and he was just looking straight at me, obviously getting annoyed about something.

In the first take I had recorded he had said "Hold On" and i had not heard him. He went ahead and did his take anyway. Then from every take on I kept hearing the playback of this just before he kicked in and kept killing the track and after 10 or 15 seconds to allow him to do whatever he was at i would start again. Needless to say this kept repeating. He was getting pretty annoyed that i kept stopping just before he was suppose to come in!

aw man that is classic. the poor guy. I remember actually recording my dad one day. We were doing fiddle takes and i was taking a few passes at a solo. I would let the track roll up to the solo and then drop in about a half second before the first note. But everytime it got to the solo he would ask to stop for a second to do something so I said fair enough. After 5 or 6 runs at this I looked in to see what he was doing and he was just looking straight at me, obviously getting annoyed about something.

In the first take I had recorded he had said "Hold On" and i had not heard him. He went ahead and did his take anyway. Then from every take on I kept hearing the playback of this just before he kicked in and kept killing the track and after 10 or 15 seconds to allow him to do whatever he was at i would start again. Needless to say this kept repeating. He was getting pretty annoyed that i kept stopping just before he was suppose to come in!
    i was the unfortunate victim of this a few years ago where i was playing drums and guitars. On one of the guitar tracks they left a bit of me going 'ah fcuk, one more time'. and when i was doing the drums they kept stopping and droppin me in at the start.
    nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

That sucks. Could easily happen to anyone.

That's happened to me alright. Although not since the bad/good old days of tape. Funny afterwards but a pita at the time.

Advertisement