Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time Business Studies at UCD feedback?

Options
  • 06-05-2008 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hiya,

I've just applied for the part-time Business Studies Diploma/Degree being offered by the Quinn School of Business at UCD. My background is in IT as a systems engineer but hoping to branch out the career a bit. Any one else thinking about this course or does anyone have any feedback?

Thanks!
    T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hi Teamhar,

just updating the CV before i send my application off, the course looks really good i like the look of the project management aspect in year 3/4 .

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Teamhar

Hiya,

The Project Management was something that really appealed to me as well- I was originally looking for a PM qualification but thought I may as well get something a bit more rounded as I never studied business in school (all science stuff and french!) this course seemed like a good choice.

I received an email that my application had been received and is being processed but haven't heard anything back yet! Good news though- my company's managing director has said they'll cover the fees for me! No chance of my being able to drop out now!

Bit apprehensive about returning to serious study after 10 years but I guess I'll cross that bridge if/when my application is accepted.

T.

Hi Teamhar,

Im in a similar situation but i work in a business orinatated environment, the all rounded approach to this course really appeals to me as it gives me an opportunity to get in paper what i already know and i get to see what PM is like.

How'd you get on with the CV ? Havent updated mine in about a year, going to take me a while to get it updated before i send off.

Lucky you my company is like that, they will pay but im not sure if i will accept as they bind you to a contract and you have to work for a year plus after the course completion.

Im sure you will be fine at the end of the day you dont have drinking sessions and all that stuff to distract you :P , the big challenge will be working the whole work life balance out over the next four years.

Ha ha! I left my drinking session days behind me when I left college last time round! Those days are loooooong gone.

We're a smallish company and things are a bit tight at the moment- it just happened to be annual negotiation time and having rejected their first miserable offer, we got it down to a modest raise and the course paid for me, no strings attached. From a tax point of view, it was a good deal. Though there are no conditions, I'll feel obliged to stick it out regardless! If I don't get a place, I'll get the fee total added to my salary instead. I can't really lose, but I really, really want to do this!

Luckily I have no serious family commitments and have a pretty good brain thats still kinda sharp from studing various IT certifications. I suspect I will need practise to get back into writing and research though. Hopefully a balance will be struck when things really get going but lotherwise I'm looking forward to studing something different. As I mentioned, my background is science and IT but I think I may do well at business. Its only in recent years its become an interest- I hated it in school!

My hopes are all raised now!

I see you're in Wicklow- I'm in Bray myself, working in Kilcoole.

T.

Ah well heres hoping :).

Yeah im in Bray as well i work in Cherrywood.

• Advertisement

Oh no, Dell are you?!

Got my acceptance letter yesterday and sent my confirmation today :) .

Anyone else doing the BBS distance learning this year ?

Hey,

I sent off the cheque and acceptance a couple of weeks ago now- have you received anything since to let you know they have it and its been processed? I ask as they were pretty quick off the mark telling me that they had received my initial application and would be in touch.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sipod2007

Hi,

I'm planning on starting this in September. I have the approval from my company to pay for it so now just a matter of going through the application process.

I come from an IT background with no formal training in business so I'd really appreciate any feedback, hints or tips you can give me.

Thanks.

The centre for distance learning are very good with people who come from non business backgrounds and people out of education for a long period of time so you dont have much to worry about.

The only tip i would give you is make sure you have the time to do it, i have been on sabbatical from this for some time as lots going on in life. The course is brilliant but requires allot of individual and self driven learning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 sipod2007

Thanks for the reply

Advertisement