Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else bored and lonely in kk?

• 06-05-2008 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Bought my first house in kk last year thinking I wanted independence and space but now i seem to have too much!! female twenty something in need of some company!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

I am when I am back in Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I'm in my early 20s just moved to kilkenny city 6 months back or so and from my experience of the place so far I've got to agree with you. I find Kilkennys a hard place to get to know people and it feels like everyone seems to have their own social groups they stick to,

that said have you tried joining any local clubs or such? the tennis club for example does help you get to know a few people though the majority of members would be slightly older so its not the best way to meet people but its a start just to get to know a few faces,

what other interests do you have someone here might be able to suggest something for you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Join clubs etc is a good start as already mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

If you work in Kilkenny, you could maybe ask one of your workmates for a drink and take it from there?

or perhaps we could use this an excuse for a boards meet up! Any interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I have lived in loads of places and found Kilkenny the worst place IN THE WORLD to get to know people. :D

Joining groups/clubs/classes is the only way - and even then, I find people only mix at the clubs and rarely get together outside of them. 4 years later I still spend most weekends on my own unless an old friend comes to visit.

Hmmm....maybe I should move...:)

A Boards meet up probably wouldn't be a bad idea - but I'd say I'm a bit older than most of ye so I probably wouldn't go along in case I wrecked ye'er buzz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I'm very bored and lonely here. I'm not a big bar patron [one pint a week] so its very hard to meet people here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

melanie???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

I moved to KK in 2005 and it took about a year to get to know people. Mostly found through kilkennymusic.com.
    I have since moved back to Dublin as pace of life is jst too slow for me!

Still though, made sme of the best mates ever down there. Just keep at it :)

BeatNikDub wrote: »
    I moved to KK in 2005 and it took about a year to get to know people. Mostly found through kilkennymusic.com.
    I have since moved back to Dublin as pace of life is jst too slow for me!

Still though, made sme of the best mates ever down there. Just keep at it :)

actually i do know that site and have to say i also thinks its v good! fair play to the guy who runs it (ken i think is it?) its the one of few highlights in kilkenny and always updated daily!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

MsFifers wrote: »
    I have lived in loads of places and found Kilkenny the worst place IN THE WORLD to get to know people. :D

Joining groups/clubs/classes is the only way - and even then, I find people only mix at the clubs and rarely get together outside of them. 4 years later I still spend most weekends on my own unless an old friend comes to visit.

Hmmm....maybe I should move...:)

A Boards meet up probably wouldn't be a bad idea - but I'd say I'm a bit older than most of ye so I probably wouldn't go along in case I wrecked ye'er buzz!
    and im probably younger than most of ye..
    i wouldnt go to a meet up really... unless it was like people from a thread about a certain sport or topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

To be fair, Kilkenny's no worse than a lot of Irish towns. But I know what you mean, not being a Cat myself.

The pubs are the worst places to meet locals IMHO. At the weekends they're full of outsiders (as in aarrrgghhh! outsiders :D) I'd say joining a club would be your best bet. There used to be an overgrown booklet that you could buy in newsagents around KK which had comprehensive listings of the various societies. I'm sure if it's not still in the odd shop, the library will have a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Interesting topic and a lot of very thoughtful and accurate contributions.

Many secondary schoolteachers, for instance, who've come to town over the years will tell you how difficult they found it to break into a social group.
    Kilkenny is still a very small place, although there are more people than ever living in town and on the outskirts.

Best way to meet new people, I'd suggest, is through theatre groups, the musical society and/or going to gigs.

yeah its funny how many teachers i know that have ended up getting together...its kinda odd...

haha I'd was just thinking last night that 90% of the people I've been talking to in kilkenny seems to be teachers to! They're everywhere its kinda scary! the other 10% would be the people where I work.

Hey OP try this link -

http://www.whazon.com/kilkenny/index.php

It gives a list of stuff thats on in Kilkenny every month, I find it useful esp for the odd gig now and then but it gives you a load of other things to, I mean if you look whats on this month you have amoung other things

You have a puppet show! ->:
    Snow White
    14th May
    Watergate Theatre.

or

European Basketmaking
    May 3 to July 13
    National Craft Gallery.

there is also a sport and club section so have a look you might find something you like,

:eek: Spookily enough, I know quite a few teachers in Kilkenny as well even though I'm not one...........

Firetrap wrote: »
    :eek: Spookily enough, I know quite a few teachers in Kilkenny as well even though I'm not one...........
    Are all the teachers you know married too??

Not the ones I know. I'm a sad singleton :D and I seem to have a knack of gravitating towards other singletons. Usually teachers.

All the teachers i know usually end up getting married and having affairs within the same school
    its like " i married Mr X .. he teaches french and history, and i teach geography and pe. we met when i started working in School Y.. adn we got married last half term..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

"Getting married AND having affairs"..??????!

• Advertisement

Purry Cat wrote: »
    "Getting married AND having affairs"..??????!

so being a teacher is exactly like the show teachers on tv3 use to portray it :D

so being a teacher is exactly like the show teachers on tv3 use to portray it :D
    Maybe not up to the standards of the Tv3 show..
    but of course rumors go around..
    the last one i heard of was between two teachers.. (at least it was legal!!)
    So firetrap, highgiant, chuckie and anyone else who knows teachers.. they mighnt be as monogamous as they seem :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nightwish I hear.

KatCookie wrote: »
    So firetrap, highgiant, chuckie and anyone else who knows teachers.. they mighnt be as monogamous as they seem :P

haha! teachers are great criac, yer just all slightly crazy thats all :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Nightwish I hear.
    Ouch!
    haha! teachers are great criac, yer just all slightly crazy thats all :P
    KatCookie wrote: »

I'm currently going out with a primary school teacher and all this talk about work-relationships and affairs ain't doing me any good! :pac:

em well... theres always the exception to the rule :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ouch!

She knows I'm here for her, to soothe those woes.

Sure what else would the teachers have to do with their time? They're finished up earlier than we are and get 2 or 3 months off during the summer. :eek:

I'm currently going out with a primary school teacher and all this talk about work-relationships and affairs ain't doing me any good! :pac:

dont worry,... i was only talking about Secondary..
    primary teachers always seem very stressed out.. too stressed out to be hiding a secret affair!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

She knows I'm here for her, to soothe those woes.

says you who has never even been here

Advertisement