Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psu help....

Options
  • 06-05-2008 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Im building a simple gaming comp for the cousins and im trying to find a simple psu that can run a core 2 duo, have a sata connection for hdd and a pci-e connector for 8800 graphics card, just very simple connectors (i dont need 4 of each if you know what i mean).

Im waddling through so much google stuff at the moment and it is hard to find what i am looking for.

What kind of wattage am i looking at and what simple psu's are out there that have the pci-e power connector?

Any help as usual would be fantastic and save me a few hrs going through the googleplex=)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Pretty much any of the new ones (last year or so) would have all the connections. 500w would be plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anything from 400w upwards would be fine. I bought this for 35 recently and it's a good solid supply, if you're on a budget. Made by the same people who make Seasonic and Tagan. No problems powering quad core and 8800GTS 512mb based system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I can recommend the Corsair VX450 . It's a little bit more expensive but you get a great quality product and a 5 year warranty. Plus it's silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

thanks lads. I think i might go with the corsair. It should do the job and be nice and reliable.

I know the one I linked to looks like crap but it's honestly pretty decent. Has a solid feel to it, and a nice chrome finish, that isn't really captured in the photo. Can't find any reviews on the 400w version, but the 600w version got some great reviews.

That said I would probably go for the corsair too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cmo

I know the one I linked to looks like crap but it's honestly pretty decent. Has a solid feel to it, and a nice chrome finish, that isn't really captured in the photo. Can't find any reviews on the 400w version, but the 600w version got some great reviews.

That said I would probably go for the corsair too :D

I got the 600w odd corsair one over 6 months ago, still going strong, very handy that it's modular ( like many others now anyway ). Very solid no hassle at all from it.

yeah the silver power one you linked to looks pretty good. But i am weary of psu retailing under 40 quid. I dunno why. Ill try and get a corsair one for cheap off ebay id say. If i cant get that then ill probably get that silver power one.

What does modular mean anyway?

Modular means that the molex and pci-express cables are detachable from the PSU. The main (atx and aux) power cables are hardwired into the unit while the cables for your hdds, graphics card etc. are pluggable. You basically only use the cables you need. It can be handy for reducing clutter inside the case.

Modular means that you attach the necessary cables to the unit, so you're not left with loads of unneeded molex connectors/2nd pci-e connector cluttering up the case as per a normal psu.

One thing that annoys me is cases that have the psu at the bottom of the case; it does look tidier when assembled but I got a 900 recently and my cable management is a nightmare for this reason even with modular, in comparison to my last machine where you could barely see any cables as they tucked neatly away in the roomy bays.

Thats great. My life will be much easier then if the corsair is modular. I really do hate the mess of wires when trying to insert the psu. Always trying to find some place to stuff those extra molex.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cmo

This is the one I have which was about 90£ or so when I bought it from that I remember. This is the modular one bogwalrus. It would make it a whole lot easier if you had the little bit of extra cash.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/114941
    http://www.corsairmemory.com/products/hx.aspx

You pay more for modular, but this is a great compromise between price and features - modular and reliable. Wouldn't quite trust the Sli/Crossfire claim, but powering a single high end card is OK. Have owned a few powering 8800GTS/HD3870 cards, no problems.

yeah i was kinda wondering why the corsair psu's around 50-60e i was looking at didn't say modular. Looks like silver power is in the bag. It does retail on elara for around 40e incl vat. I suppose thats how much ill be spending on a psu with all the features i need.

would a 350w psu be enough power for 1 sata hdd, 1 cd rom, a core 2 duo and 8800 gts graphics card?

Possibly if it was a really good brand, highly unlikely if its some budget job. What's the PSU in question?

I cant remember the name, I think it was Konig. As far as i know it's the same manufacturer as Trust. Cheap enough psu also. I couldn't really understand the spec's. It says that at 266W the efficiency is 80% then at 300W it is 66%. Why don't they just give efficiency at 350W.....how important is efficiency anyway? Has to do with heat i imagine.

Definitely not up to the job. 66% efficiency at only 300w - less then its advertised output incidentally - is brutal. The PSU probably can't output more then 300w in reality, the 350w is probably an unsustainable peak, if even. For example: if a PSU was only 50% efficient at 300w, that means it would draw 600w from the wall to output that 300w.

jesus. will definitely be looking more at the spec's now. its funny cause the 350w version was relatively cheap but the 600w was like 80euro. i didn't get to look at the specs on that and cant seem to find it now but what a jump up in price.seems like a scam.caveat emptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tanora78

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

If you shopping at HWS your best options would be :
    OCZ StealthXStream 600W-53 euro or
    TAGAN TG500-U33 2-Force II, 500 Watt-62 euro ,
    Coolermaster M520, modular, 520W-64 euro.
    Corsair VX550W 550 Watt-62 euro.

And foe extra tener you can pick up SLI ready - OCZ GameXStream 600 Watt SLI Ready-75 euro .

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Has to be Corsair TX650W, more than enough power for every card in sli...

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=19286&agid=240

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Delivery is €30.

Build looks good Andy...

I would change the mobo, graphics, hard drive to below..

Cheaper, faster and in stock..

7wd38s9g9r273gg91ish_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

8800gts is old tech and only 320mb ram. The 9600gt is faster, has more ram and is a beast in sli....oh and it uses alot less power....and you can get one for 15 quid cheaper!

andyrew120 wrote: »

The 320mb 8800gts overclocked is about as fast as 9600gt in games that are not bottlenecked by lack of video ram, but its a nice bit behind the 8800gt/9800gtx..

Edit: Skuzzb got there first, do what he says get a 9600gt for €107 or 8800gs for €88

• Advertisement

the 320mb GTS still packs a lot of power, in a review I read the Fatality edition beat the 9600Gt in most games - the stock one was close to necking it.

Advertisement