Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of season review

Options
  • 06-05-2008 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

End of Season Review

With a dead rubber game to complete the season all that lies ahead, and with some spare time on my hands now rather than post May 11th I've decided to take a look at how our season played out, and how our team and management performed. I don't expect people to agree with me, and I'd welcome your own thoughts. Considering how much there is to cover I suppose a deep debate will be difficult to achieve, so it's unlikely I'll engage in debate on the report I'm posting.

The end of Jol

The writing had been on the wall for some time, but THFC started the season with Martin Jol still at the helm. Rumours had circulated in March of 2007 that the board (or certain individuals) had lost confidence in Jol after the Dutchman considered leaving Berbatov and Lennon on the bench for the FA Cup QF tie at Stamford Bridge. The manager was reportedly made aware of the board's expectations and informed that resting key players for a cup tie was unacceptable. In the end, Berbatov and Lennon started, and Spurs took a surprise 3-1 lead, before withdrawing both players and retreating into their shell, finally conceding two goals to finish the tie 3-3. It was another example of the cautious approach Jol took to the game, while he had out thought Mourinho in starting with Lennon in the hole behind the front two, once the two attacking outlet were withdrawn the team tried to see out the game by defending in numbers in front of a suspect keeper. The outcome of the game sealed almost sealed Jol's faith, the manager earning himself a reprieve with the sides run to a 5th place finish in the league for the 2nd season running. Ironically it was defeat to Juande Ramos' Sevilla in the Uefa Cup which helped focus the attention of the Spurs hierarchy (in particular Paul Kelmsley) on the Spaniard as Jol's ideal replacement.

Money had been spent in the summer, though few will argue that the £40m budget was invested wisely. Of the new arrivals, only Gareth Bale appeared to bring anything to the squad that had finished 5th two years running. The arrival of Younes Kaboul and Kevin Prinz Boateng for first team transfer fees (while best described as ones for the future) puzzled, and called into question the role and influence of the Director of Football Damien Comolli. The weight of expectation proved a heavy burden for record signing Darren Bent, though he was afforded few opportunities by Jol who seemed determined to persist with Keane and Berbatov as his strike partnership despite a poor return from the pair at the start of the season. For the record, Bent played a total of 477mins of football under Jol, scoring 2 goals from 5 starts (with no goals from his 4 sub appearances). All of that aside, Spurs started this season with the squad that secured 5th place in the league largely intact.

The season started much like the previous, with a poor run of form right up to Jol's departure. Negative team selection saw four central midfielders employed away to newly promoted Sunderland, and Robbie Keane in a midfield role at home to Everton. Jol's charge manage only one league win (a 4-0 drubbing of the worst side in PL history Derby) before he was shown the door, and seemed in disarray. Many put the poor start down to the discord at board level undermining Jol, but a deeper examination shows many recurrent problems: defensive disorganisation, poor goal-keeping, and the failure to kill off games from winning positions. Fitness was also a concern, with the squad appearing sluggish at the start of the season and tiring repeatedly in the latter parts of games.

The end when it came tarnished the reputation of an historically great club, the news of Jols' dismissal spreading around N17 before the Uefa Cup tie at home to Getafe, and a wet night ended with a 2-1 defeat and the departure of an affable man who had brought the club to the brink of CL qualification, and delivered European qualification two years running. His departure had to come, the timing and manner left a bitter taste.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Consolidation under Ramos

Jol's tenure had ended with Spurs in the group stages of the Uefa Cup and the 4th round of the Carling Cup, and it was against Blackpool in that competition that Juande Ramos first took charge, winning comfortably 2-0. The side travelled to Tel Aviv in the Uefa Cup and won by the same margin in an uninspiring game, and went unbeaten in the league for November with a couple of draws and a 4-0 win over Wigan. Ramos was still running the rule over much of his squad, and experimented with some interesting tactical
    formations (including 3 at the back, and Zokora as a makeshift CB). The month ended with a remarkable fight back vs Aalborg in the Uefa Cup at WHL, trailing 2-0 at half time Ramos made two changes for the start of the 2nd half, going to 3 at the back while playing Huddlestone in the midfield and Keane, Berbatov and Bent up front, to earn a 3-2 win.

December started with a disappointing reverse at home to Birmingham following a harsh red card for Robbie Keane with the score at 2-2, and a hard fought 1-1 draw away to Anderlecht which was enough to secure a place in the knock out stages of the Uefa Cup. League form improved, with four wins out of five, losing only to Arsenal at the Emirates, a missed peno from Robbie Keane ultimately costing us a point at the very least. The signs from that performance at the Death Star were encouraging, Spurs matching our rivals for much of the match, and set the tone for the meeting in the SF of the Carling Cup.

January brought a mixed bag, Spurs advanced to the 4th round of the FA Cup after a replay vs a weakened Reading side, where we lost 3-1 at Old Trafford after taking a 1-0 lead. We were well beaten by Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, but avenged our opening day defeat to Sunderland with a 2-0 win at home to Roy Keane's team, albeit with a less than stellar performance. A good away draw to Everton at the end of the month preceded an excellent performance at home to United in the league and were seconds away from a win when Carlos Tevez scored from a stoppage time corner. The goal summed up much of our season, an early lead undone by the fatigue and the side trying desperately trying to defend in the dying minutes, only to concede from a poorly marked corner. Slavia Prague were dispatched to see us through to the last 16 of the Uefa Cup in the lead up to our appearance at Wembley, along with Derby in the league.

Success at last

Allied to the improvement in league form, Spurs continued to advance in the Carling Cup. Ramos came to Spurs with a fantastic record in cup competitions, and in the middle of December he again proved his worth, holding on for a 2-0 win at Eastlands following the dismissal of Didier Zokora early in the 1st half. Indeed, given the circumstances it could be argued the result was Ramos' best in charge of the side this year, City were unbeaten at home to that point, Berbatov putting in a text book performance as the lone striker after Defoe was sacraficed to allow Tainio come on and play at full back with Chimbonda moving to the centre alongside Kaboul.

Our reward for despatching City was another meeting with Arsenal in the SF, a repeat of the same stage of the previous year's Cup. Much has been made of Wenger's team selection for the lesser cup (indeed for both cups this season) but despite the barbs the side we faced was not quite the B team, more like the A-. Nonetheless, Arsenal were outclassed over the two legs of the tie, Spurs were perhaps unfortunate to leave the Emirates with a 1-1 draw from the first leg, but thoroughly deserved the 5-1 win in the 2nd leg on a magical night at WHL. The ground is an awesome sight under lights, a proper old school stadium with the fans on top of the pitch, an antidote to the soulless bowls masquerading as football grounds in the modern era, and while we may legitimately be described as fickle at times, the passion and intensity of a North London derby guarantees an atmosphere no matter the circumstances. The manner of both performances promises much for next season, particularly the desire to continue the rout when in the past we may have been tempted to shut up shop.

New Wembley beckoned at the end of February and a meeting with Avram Grant's Chelsea. Ledley King returned to captain the side alongside new signing Jonathan Woodgate and Paul Robinson retained his place in goal having replaced Radek Cerny following his blunder in Prague. Jamie O'Hara experienced heartbreak when he failed to make the bench, but on these decisions managers are judged every day. The game started well for Spurs, but repeated fouls on Drogba on the edge of the box allowed Chelsea to find their range, and it was from a freekick that Chelsea took the lead, Drogba taking advantage of some poor positioning from Robinson late in the 1st half. For all our possession and chances created, a sucker punch goal left us with an uphill task in the 2nd half.

A well spotted handball by the linesman on the 70th minute by Wayne Bridge gave us a vital lifeline back into the game, and one which Berbatov grabbed with both hands...1-1, game on! Changes had been made, with Chimbonda sacrificed for Huddlestone, and Lennon switched to the left against Belletti, where he began to have more of an impact. Spurs closed out normal time the better side, creating a number of chances including the most improbable of Zokora springing the offside trap only to be denied twice by Cech. The full time whistle came with the score at 1-1, and a sinking feeling we may just have wasted a chance too many. Yet hope springs eternal, and an early free kick into the Chelsea box is punched by Cech onto Woodgate's face, and rebounds into the net. We went wild!!!

We hang on, and an exhausted Ledley King gets to lift a cup over his head for the first time as Spurs captain. Our first trophy in 8 years, and European qualification secured for the following season.

Post-Cup slump

The cup win celebrations appeared to leave the squad a little sluggish, as we collapse away to Birmingham then lose 1-0 at home to PSV in the Uefa Cup. Despite a valiant effort in Eindhoven, our 1-0 win on the night proved insufficient as we exited the tie on penalties. With little left to play for our league form suffers, and we suffer a heavy defeat at home to Newcastle, as well as a number of 1-1 draws against sides in the bottom half of the table. Both Robbie Keane and Steed Malbranque suffer slumps in form which coincide with this league run, and should not be discounted when looking for reasons why a side that could perform so well up to the end of February yet could not lift itself after the cup win. Both players had been in good form in the earlier part of the season. Some might argue that this sequence of games should have given a few players the chance to play for their futures at WHL, with significant rebuilding expected in the summer, yet our results suggested a squad of players who were already thinking of their summer break, or their big money summer transfer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Nice review - my only disagreement coming in the first line! "With a dead rubber game to complete the season" If we beat Pool and Spammers lose, not only do we go above Spammers (love it!), but also top half of the table - that looks a whole lot better when looking back at the season than finishing in the bottom half - no longer will we have to wait for that second page!! :)That is still worth fighting for! And I believe will show us a lot about the character and fight of our team, and indeed the management - and will feed into our overall "review of the season"

Thanks for the post. COYS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

I agree. Even aside from the fight for the top half of the table.....I really really really want to beat the pool so they can finish the season feeling depressed at their below par trophyless season. I really hate the pool. No CL final to keep them dillusional this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

and reckless. Great read, but did you actually write and post all of that in 8 mins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gerrytack@hotma

Post-Cup slump

The cup win celebrations appeared to leave the squad a little sluggish, as we collapse away to Birmingham then lose 1-0 at home to PSV in the Uefa Cup. Despite a valiant effort in Eindhoven, our 1-0 win on the night proved insufficient as we exited the tie on penalties. With little left to play for our league form suffers, and we suffer a heavy defeat at home to Newcastle, as well as a number of 1-1 draws against sides in the bottom half of the table. Both Robbie Keane and Steed Malbranque suffer slumps in form which coincide with this league run, and should not be discounted when looking for reasons why a side that could perform so well up to the end of February yet could not lift itself after the cup win. Both players had been in good form in the earlier part of the season. Some might argue that this sequence of games should have given a few players the chance to play for their futures at WHL, with significant rebuilding expected in the summer, yet our results suggested a squad of players who were already thinking of their summer break, or their big money summer transfer...
    as its the end of the season i'd like to thank you for all the work you put into the site.its great to have our own site where we can express our opinions on our club in mostly a sensible manner.all the best to you and i'll definately keep in touch.C.O.Y.S.

and reckless. Great read, but did you actually write and post all of that in 8 mins?

Nah mate, wrote it over 2 nights but just posted it all at the one time.

And thanks Gerry, appreciate the sentiment.

The forum is more about you lot than it will ever be about me. Keep up the good work fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Cheers for that great post helped sum up our season,and wet the appetite for next.COYS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Lovely piece Ronan. Sums it up very well indeed.

My own personal low was loosing 2 european games at home, this tarnished our previously great home record of only 1 defeat Real Madrid in 1983. I'm a sucker for stats like that and for Gatafe and PSV to be added to the list was a real kick in the balls.

The obvious high was winning the cup, easily one of the best days of my life. The opposition that cold February day and everything they stand for made it all the sweeter.
    There were tears of joy shed that day and it seemed to make all the hard times worthwhile.

Anyway, onwards and upwards next season. Viva Juande Ramos !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Oh I nearly forgot, another big highlight was Berbatov's 4 goals against Reading and the maddest game of football I have ever seen beyond the local under 9s on a Sunday morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Good summary Ronan - season i'd describe as a fairground rollercoaster - with more up and downs than the proverbial drawers of certain unmentionable ladies of the night.
    Bale, Hutton and Woodgate look good signings. Gilberto might make it yet.
    Bent in the last couple of games might prove me wrong yet.

Long list of leavers - which most of you could name.
    Berbatov for Eto would not be so bad - if we got £10M at least.

Need CB, GK, MF and a 4th striker to play in first 11 - not bench warmers this time.

Finally Ronan as always great stewardship - always learn something new here and get a chance to leave off steam.

Roll on 08/09 - see you in Coach on Sunday for 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

Yes, as we are saying thank you's - Yes indeed, thanks for having this forum, it is great to have a home grown Spurs site - I am a member of other Spurs sites, but this is indeed special!

Thanks again.........John.;)

Advertisement