Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for first bike?

• 06-05-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've recently been tempted to buy myself a bike as I have been getting more and more tempted by a mate of mine who is quite hooked.
    He started on a Bandit 600, said it was an excellent starter bike as it was a good all-rounder to learn all necessary skills on while not that slow that I'd be bored of it after a month (believe me I don't intend on riding it like a maniac.)

He is a very safe rider, having completed a couple of advanced rider courses, which I would hope to do also having picked up the basics.
    He said if not the bandit then something similar, maybe a hornet?
    Any of you biking lads have any advice on the matter?

PS I have minimal biking experience through holiday experiences etc. but can ride a bike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

My first bike was, and still is, the Bandit 600. I had no bike experience at all and had a full day training with David Lyons, which was well worth it.

The bandit seems to be a perfect bike to learn on not too big and no too heavy and an ok turning circle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Yeah I have to agree... It has to be the Bandit 600. Fun yet not crazy. Bullet-proof. Not bad loooking. Good riding position...

Do you want to buy mine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Bandit is a good starter bike (restricted presumably), as is the Hornet. Both have nice upright riding position, and user-friendly power delivery. Good thing about the Bandit is the number of them around, gives you a decent choice. Other options are the Fazer, CB500, ER5, or something like an NTV650 (Deauville minus fairing) or even a Bros. If you're buying used, you want to avoid ex-courier bikes, just something to be aware of.

You're on the right track if you're thinking of taking some training, it's the single best investment you can make in your biking in my opinion, as it will lay the ground for your riding skills, and make your riding safe and enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Thanks for the advice lads, bandit looks perfect alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pirate reject

My first bike was a Yamaha SR125. I bought it in JP motorcycles and hadnt a clue how to ride it when I bought it. I think the shop assistant was a bit shocked when I asked how to operate the gear shift. Eventually he ended up taking me out the side road beside the shop and watchng me while I made my first hesitant jumpy few starts. 20 minutes later I was riding this thing home to Wicklow. Terrifying is not the word. What an idiot I was.

The Yamaha was a fine learner bike but I know what you mean about growing out of it. My mate had a Bandit 600 and loved it. I would also consider the CBF 600 or the Hornet, both nice neutral bikes and very forgiving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Also started on a Bandit, great bike and still enough poke in it on the Motorways, even when restricted.

Like the rest have said, it has a great seating position so that you can see a head of you.

I did the full day training on a CG125 then, like pirate, got the Bandit and drove from Tallaght to Wicklow. Looking back I'd say it was the daftest thing I have done on the bike.

Reason I went for the Bandit was the seating, wasn't to keen on going for a fully faired bike as I prefered to be sitting up as opposed to leaning forwards. And I personally didn't want a cruiser as I do not like the look of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Is the Bandit 600 learner legal, or will it need to be restricted? Is it suitable for someone well over 6ft? I like the look/price of it but I don't want to be leaning forward the whole time, I'd prefer to sit upright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

You will need to get a restricted Bandit to have it learner legal. Best to get one that is Factory Restricted, and the cert to prove it, as AON will take this into account when insuring it. If it is shop restricted AON will not take this into consideration when insuring you. Not too sure if the other companies take restriction into account, you'll need to ring around to check it out.

Seating position on the Bandit will having you sitting upright. Best thing to do is have a sit on one to see if you are comfortable. If you think it is a bit small you could try the VStorm also as it would be a bit bigger (this comes restricted also).

Advertisement