Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snapped my chain

Options
  • 06-05-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

what a lovely day it was for cycling today i was just starting off on my weekly mountains spin today in the slieve blooms. drove to kinnity with another club mate took bikes outta of the car, jumpedd on the bike and about 2 pedals strokes later my chain snapped :mad::mad:

was looking forward to it all day, left college early to get a good session in :(

Generally how long Chains last, this was a 10 speed ultegra chain less than a year old but a lot of millage done on it , about 5000km i reckon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

In what sense did it snap? Did a link come apart or was there actual snaping of metal? I imagine a chain, especially one of that quality should have a fatigue life of longer than 5000km.

Also, you say you took the bikes out of a car, if the chain went after literally 2 pedal strokes then it could have been something to do with the bike being in the car that led to it, such as a bent dérailleur or the chain going on to a completely wrong sprocket when refitting the back wheel, could cause lateral stress which could pop a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

jesus you did well to get that out of a shimano chain:D:D:o

Ultegra = ****e

sram are much better, after my "ultegra incidents" i steer well clear of them.

so id say its totally normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

are the SRAM chains compatible with the shimano ultegra groupsets? and what chain would you recommend? i'll be racing on these chains, so i dont mind paying top dollar for quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ba wrote: »
    are the SRAM chains compatible with the shimano ultegra groupsets? and what chain would you recommend? i'll be racing on these chains, so i dont mind paying top dollar for quality.

i actually downspecced, i used mine on my MTB, so it wasnt really a problem to get a heavier chain so i got a sram PC-951 i think thats the name of it, i havnt had any hassle from it.
    it should be compatible with Ultegra groupsets.
    my new commuter has a 48 tooth chainset and a 13 at the back, i only popped 3 links and it fitted perfect, if you have a bigger chainset id say the length could be the problem(if racers and mtbs have the same chainstay length??) with the Pc-951, although sram do a racing groupset called rival i think so id say they do longerchains.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

5,000km could certainly be at the limit; it all depends on how well you looked after the chain- e.g. did you clean and re-lube it when necessary. You can check wear with a 12-inch ruler- on a new chain both 0 and 12 will line up perfectly with a pin.

SRAM chains are perfectly compatible as long as you get the right speed (e.g. 10 speed is narrower than 9 speed.) SRAM chains start PC-speed and then a number which increases with the price (PC-8xx, PC-9xx, PC-10xx), so you will be looking for a PC-1070, PC-1090 etc.

I have SRAM chains on two road bikes with Shimano drivetrains (PC-971 and PC-1070.) I have Shimano on another (think it's Ultegra.) No problems with the Shimano but have had two breakages with the PC-971 and then a stiff link. I wouldn't blame this on the SRAM chains; they had higher mileage; but there is nothing inherently wrong (IMHO) with Shimano chains either.

SRAM have a Power Link allowing tool-less separation which is something of a benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

kona wrote: »
    jesus you did well to get that out of a shimano chain:D:D:o

Ultegra = ****e

sram are much better, after my "ultegra incidents" i steer well clear of them.

so id say its totally normal.

LBS didnt have a SRAM chain so i went for a Dura ace instead if it makes any difference. TBH im getting pissed off with Shimano groupset there seems to be always a problem so going to put Record on my next bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Record maintains itself and basically does the pedalling for you. (Google for the Campy Elves.) Record users don't even need to dope, such is the competitive advantage bestowed by that august group. And not to forget Fausto Coppi who won the Giro like six times in the 70s on a fixed gear with Record shifters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

blorg wrote: »
    Record maintains itself and basically does the pedalling for you. (Google for the Campy Elves.) Record users don't even need to dope, such is the competitive advantage bestowed by that august group. And not to forget Fausto Coppi who won the Giro like six times in the 70s on a fixed gear with Record shifters!

I may consider getting SRAM red for my next bike, but will have to try before i buy.

Advertisement