Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to remove overspray from rear window?

Options
  • 06-05-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I had a bit of paintwork done on the car the other week and the paint where it's supposed to be is perfect. Trouble is, there's a cloud of overspray on the rear windscreen. Looking from the outside it's near invisible, but from the inside, if there's sun or headlights shining on it I can't see a screed out of it.

What's best for removing overspray from glass? I'd like to avoid scraping so would T-cut or something do the job?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

A stanley blade.

I've used it loads of times before, it dosent harm the glass.

Ya could use thinners, but then you'd run the risk of getting it on the bodywork.

Ya could use compound, take forever tho!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

+1 with a sharp stanley blade.

Carefully polish with some acetone afterwards to get rid of the residue - don't let it near the paintwork.

Stay away from t-cut or any abrasive polish as it will cloud the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Thanks guys!
    A blade it is, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭AlanAhern

Or bring it back to the place where you got it sprayed. you wanted your bumper sprayed, not the window!!

AlanAhern wrote: »
    Or bring it back to the place where you got it sprayed. you wanted your bumper sprayed, not the window!!

I've spoken to them and I will be back for one or two minor details which they're happy to sort but they're waiting for a part to arrive. Until it's in and sprayed and ready to fit I can't get everything sorted in one visit so I'd just as soon spend half an hour sorting this myself in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Clay-bar

• Registered Users Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah id have said an aggressive clay bar

is it lacquer or paint? sounds like lacquer

so not sure if clay would be as effective, probably some solvent you can use but id be careful of the paint surrounding

I gave the car the belt and braces treatment today, in and out. When I went at the window with the blade, due to the curve on it, it was only taking about a 2mm wide stripe out of the overspray. I went at it with the clay bar and after 3 passes visibility is restored :D
    Blue Peter badges go to Cyrus and Cmar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Cellulose thinners, be careful with it near paintwork but as long as your a little patient and dont dribble it onto the paint it will come off in a jiffy,

The guys in the bodyshop will have it anyway,

• Advertisement
Advertisement