Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what date is the warriors run on at?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Best of luck to everyone participating on Sunday. If you know anyone running maybe come out to Strandhill or the mountain (good viewing point described elsewhere on this thread) to cheer them on.

Apparently there will be a reporter from the Irish Times there with Photographer so if you see a camera remember to smile!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Best of luck Chimpy! And all other runners here, hope it goes well for ye. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

Best of luck everyone, should be good craic.

Cheers Sueme, Although I have to work Monday so won't be able to drink Sunday (driving also) :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

what time is it at, might take a gander out with the camera

Great idea. Starts at 3 pm. First runner will reach the montain car park under 25 mins later. Theres a good spot up the trail past the start of the open mountain about 15 mins walk from the carpark. They will reach there at 3.30 on the way up.

But sure theres loads of spots for photos no doubt. If you do take some, if you get a chance and if you want, maybe contact the warriors committee (e-mail address on their website), they might take some of them for their site.

The rest of us will make it to the carpark at approx 45 minutes and may not make it to the finish so preferably take your pictures before the race starts :pac:

I have a big day Sunday, but if we can get there I'll have great pics of fit men cheer you all on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

T runner wrote: »
    Great idea. Starts at 3 pm. First runner will reach the montain car park under 25 mins later. Theres a good spot up the trail past the start of the open mountain about 15 mins walk from the carpark. They will reach there at 3.30 on the way up.

But sure theres loads of spots for photos no doubt. If you do take some, if you get a chance and if you want, maybe contact the warriors committee (e-mail address on their website), they might take some of them for their site.

total amature at the mo, will probably just go for the experience, and a beer or two, pending the weather, but would the public be allowed up the trail, i'm asuming you would have to be there quite early to get a vantage point

;)

disapointed i didn't make a better effort to train for it

:(

• Advertisement

There seems to be people up there every year so Id say its no problem. Yep give it plenty of time to get a parking spot at the mountain if you decide on that location. Maybe be parked in the mountain carpark before 3 to be sure if you go to the mountain. Its a great spot as you get action photos and you get all the runners going up and down. Near the start/finish is good too, or anywhere along the route. But go for whereever suits you and enjoy it. Dont worry about missing it, its good craic watching it and it will encourage you for next year!

I'd actually love to watch it myself one year. Some of the guys come down the mountain like bats out of hell.

Well? How did it go guys? :)

Weather seemed perfect for it.

Went very well. I finished in 1:18, 35 seconds slower than last year. But as the course changes direction each year I find this direction much harder... So I'm pleased with that time.
    Weather was great except when I started the mountain part of the race the sun decided to come out and it was el scorchio for the first time this month.

Crikey. Well done! Are you in pain today?

I am indeed, I fell on the mountain a week ago when I was training for it (very bad rain last week) and twisted it, I was stil icing my knee down up to the night before the race, it was actually grand during the race but as soon as I finished it just gave out on me. So I can bearly walk now. Also I was dancing in the Strand last night which is never a good thing.

I finished in 1:18, 35 seconds slower than last year. But as the course changes direction each year I find this direction much harder... So I'm pleased with that time.
    Weather was great except when I started the mountain part of the race the sun decided to come out and it was el scorchio for the first time this month.

Great time, Hail, well done. Weather was good alright, mountain was dry as well. I had a terrible run, came in about 1:28 but I've a much faster time in me. Ah well, there's next year. I'd nearly think about doing it again some evening to prove it but it'd muck up the marathon training.

The race and organisation was fantastic. About 475 entrants as far as I know. Massive crowd on the last stretch all cheering, never seen the likes.

Well done Sobriquet! It must be frustrating if you want to do it again in a better time. If its any consolation I did 2:13:54 in Waterworld Bundoran yesterday (which mainly involves walking in ankle deep water) and am v. creaky today!:D

Good luck with the marathon training. I'm going for a lie down...

sobriquet wrote: »
    Great time, Hail, well done. Weather was good alright, mountain was dry as well. I had a terrible run, came in about 1:28 but I've a much faster time in me. Ah well, there's next year. I'd nearly think about doing it again some evening to prove it but it'd muck up the marathon training.

The race and organisation was fantastic. About 475 entrants as far as I know. Massive crowd on the last stretch all cheering, never seen the likes.

Thats too bad sobriquet, what exactly held you back?
    If you feel like doing it again some evening I'd say just go for it. I did it every weekend for the previous 3 weeks, if anything I'd say its good training for the marathon (not that I've done one), its a lot tougher than your average 10 mile run.
    Crowd was great - were you in the Strand afterwards?

Thats too bad sobriquet, what exactly held you back?
    If you feel like doing it again some evening I'd say just go for it. I did it every weekend for the previous 3 weeks, if anything I'd say its good training for the marathon (not that I've done one), its a lot tougher than your average 10 mile run.
    Crowd was great - were you in the Strand afterwards?

I think I overate leading up to it, from about a mile in I started getting awful cramps in my stomach. Stayed bad for the whole race. It's a shame too, the legs and lungs felt fine but every time I'd try to pick up the pace the stomach would knot up again.

I think I might try and work the run in at some stage, but to hit a race time target might leave me knackered for the long miles for the marathon. I'll see yet, might do it on a fallback week.

Strand was good craic alright, had a couple and left it at that.

• Advertisement

The results are up!

That was pretty fast, it's a pity they don't have the additional times there. Time up and down the mountain etc. they had it in the Marquee tent earlier.

Yeah, they must still be getting it together, they're not actually linked from the front page yet.

The race report for the Irish Times that T runner mentioned above is here. It seems Eoin Keith who won Gael Force West on Saturday dropped by to take third in the Warriors! Savage stuff. T runner posted a cracking time too (62 mins!), well done man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Congrats! Someday I'll be able to run for more than 20 minutes :P

Well done everyone who ran and supported, it was a great day out.
    Unlucky Sobriquet, Ive had stomach cramps before and unfortunately when they arrive there usually is no getting rid of them. You did well to finish such a tough race under those circumstances at all (Ive stopped before because of them). 88 is a massive chunk off last years time, god knows what you would have ran with a free reign.

Will be great or your marathon preparations anyway. Bumped into the winner in the seaweed baths yestaerday morning and he said he was using it in his build up for the Berlin Marathon.

Apparently Owen Gahan's time on the mountain (from carpark up, around cairn and down) was 13.22. Zoe Mellings, the female winner's was 18.50.
    Very impressive stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hawkeye08

Hello there,

New to the forum and also was knew to the Warriors Run. What can you say, what a run!!! Swore after it that i would never do it again but since then, even with the aches and pains that are still present particularily in the quad muscles, my thoughts are set on next year and giving it a lash again!! I did it in a time of 1.20.57 which i was happy enough with. I think i lost some time going up the mountain,was brought to a walk for the majority of it simply out of necessity!!
    What is the best way to go about training for such a run and reducing your time? The thoughts going through my head for most of it and especially on the mountain was that you would just need to continually do the actual route for best results? Any input appreciated.

There is a training plan for the Warriors run here:
    http://www.warriorsfestival.com/training-plan.html
    There is also an Athlethics forum in the sports section, if you go to: sports > athlethics, you'll get a lot of advice and similar training plans.

T runner wrote: »
    Apparently Owen Gahan's time on the mountain (from carpark up, around cairn and down) was 13.22. Zoe Mellings, the female winner's was 18.50.
    Very impressive stuff.

Pretty impresive alright, although when I checked mine after the race it didn't display. I must have jumped right over the sensor :p

Mountain times etc are up on the site now on an excel spreadsheet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Pocabella

Hi All,

I'm a total novice who wants to do the Warriors. I'm just about to start a thread asking for advice in the athletics forum. You all seem very helpful. I'd love some pointers. Starting a new thread as I know I'm not supposed to hijack a different topic but wanted to contact you seemingly wisened runners.

THanks

Advertisement