Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

tranfer between two pcs via wifi

• 06-05-2008 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Is it possible

if so how can i do it. i need to transfer approx 30gb and i dont have an external harddrive.

can this be done via WIFI.

cany advice appreciated.

Eoin

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Just use normal windows filesharing. There's nothing special about the fact that the network is Wifi based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

cheers but how do i get the two pcs to connect to each other they cant seem to find oneanother using the normal network search

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

eoinf wrote: »
    cheers but how do i get the two pcs to connect to each other they cant seem to find oneanother using the normal network search

They won't appear unless there's something to show. Share a folder first then they'll start producing the SMB broadcasts that inform other machines of their existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

To make things easier, they should also be on the same workgroup. You can check by right-clicking My Computer, Properties and choose the 'Computer Name' tab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

rrpc wrote: »
    To make things easier, they should also be on the same workgroup. You can check by right-clicking My Computer, Properties and choose the 'Computer Name' tab.
    +1 - they need to be in same work group to be able to see them in your network places. Alternatively you can go to a folder and in address type \\<ipaddress> eg. \\192.168.1.3. Firewalls can cause problems too

• Advertisement

Spear wrote: »
    They won't appear unless there's something to show. Share a folder first then they'll start producing the SMB broadcasts that inform other machines of their existence.

how can i do this in windows xp ive tried but have had little success

eoinf wrote: »
    how can i do this in windows xp ive tried but have had little success

Just right click a folder and choose sharing. In the window that appears his the option to share that folder. It might be easier if simple file sharing is turned on, that's in folder options, view tab, near the bottom.

ok cheers for everyones help i think im almost there..

i have both pcs on the smae workgroup and i can see both in the netwok connections.

however when i try on either pc i seem to have access permission issues.

on the XP machine it pops up asking for a username and password

where as the vista machine simply says the other pc is not accesible

do i have to set access rites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55160890&postcount=2

Take a look at the pdf attached to that post that should help you along the rest of the way.

Advertisement