Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any " real " hifi dealers in waterford ?

• 06-05-2008 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Anyone know of anywhere that sells high end home audio in waterford, all any one seems to do is the mainstream stuff and damn tvs, looking for somewhere who actually demos proper gear, proper high quality 2 channel and none of that satelite crap.

Any ideas???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

There's nothing of use in Waterford. Closest I can think of is probably Munster Sounds in Cork.

There's a place over in Gorey, Sound Solutions, don't know much about the place but I hear good things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing for years, unless Toner Sounds in Morgan Street have anything.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

In all of the Republic there is only Cloney HiFi in Blackrock Dublin. The others are selling "entry level" hifi at best with one or two high end brands for credibility. Much of their stock is bog standard Electrical Shop stuff. Lyric HiFi in Belfast are good too if you don't mind travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

Try Grafton Audio in Johns Hill in Waterford http://www.graftonaudio.com/
    Denon, B&W, Marantz etc..
    Not quite Cloney Audio but have you deep enough pockets for there anyway ;)
    Not a shop per say, more of a showroom, but can demo lots of brands for you and really know their stuff.
    Highly recommend them. Brendan or Paul

p.s. NO! I don't have any connection with them other than having dealt with them many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They should consider advertising a bit! Grange Lodge sounds like one of those places at the top of Johns Hill - nothing but private houses I thought.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Yup thats what it was originally and it's probably a better way imho to showcase that kind of equipment as the end user will get a better idea of how it may sound in their own home rather than in the typical larger retail areas with high ceilings and lots of reverb etc..

Industria

industria wrote: »
    ... as the end user will get a better idea of how it may sound in their own home..

High end? The only high end brand mentioned in the post or on their website is B&W and I'm willing to bet it's only the smaller speakers they stock unless you order the big ones. The OP specifically asked about "high end" gear.

High end is not Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha and certainly not BOSE. Only very few "flagship" products from Marantz could ever be considered "high end".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cottonbud

I guess I will have to go to Dublin so, regarding deep pockets and Cloney, I don't mind spending more than I can afford if it's justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

If your spending big bucks book yourself a a cheap Ryanair ticket over to the UK.Choice is very limited here and i personally have found UK dealers to be much more professional in their attitude and work.

cottonbud wrote: »
    regarding deep pockets and Cloney.....
    Cloney's prices tend to be equivilent to their UK or internet counterparts. A lot of high end gear is staggeringly expensive no matter where you buy.

• Advertisement

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Cloney's prices tend to be equivilent to their UK or internet counterparts. A lot of high end gear is staggeringly expensive no matter where you buy.

Exactly, high end is a very subjective term. High end to one person is mid/low-fi to another.
    You'd be amazed how many people would regard Bose as high end, regardles of "our" opinion of the brand!

Bose aren't even "low end". Great marketing department though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cottonbud

Thanks for the pointers, price is not the issue but how it sounds is. I know there is a bigger choice in the UK but I don't want the inconvenience, and anyway the Wife would kill me if I spent two or three days abroad just to listen to speakers :)

cottonbud wrote: »
    Thanks for the pointers, price is not the issue but how it sounds is. I know there is a bigger choice in the UK but I don't want the inconvenience, and anyway the Wife would kill me if I spent two or three days abroad just to listen to speakers :)

a day trip to Edinburgh could be interesting.... apart from Richer Sounds (who don't do 'high end' anyway) there's Sevenoakes HiFi and a few other smaller retailers.

If you want any advice/opinion on what amps work with what speakers etc feel free to ask.... there are well proven partnersips in hifi so it need not be a gamble at all.

Advertisement