Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the problem with 'L' plates

Options
  • 06-05-2008 11:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Driving home today I saw 3 learner drivers all with the 'L' plate on back to front. Not the first time either, this seems to be quite popular.

What's the deal - are people really that thick?

I am normally very tolerant of cars with 'L' plates and will give them more room, allow for mistakes etc.. but if they can't even display a letter the right way round then IMO they lose any right to compassion.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

stevec wrote: »

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It does show a lack of spatial awareness :D

I believe up north you get penalty points for having the L-plate the wrong way around....

Driving home today I saw 3 learner drivers all with the 'L' plate on back to front. Not the first time either, this seems to be quite popular.

I am normally very tolerant of cars with 'L' plates and will give them more room, allow for mistakes etc.. but if they can't even display a letter the right way round then IMO they lose any right to compassion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It looks OK from the inside! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

its not back to front that annoys me because if people apply them from the inside they assume the L is ok. Its putting it in the wrong position eg instead of bottom right in back window (drivers side) they put it top left or people who put the L on the body of the car ugh!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

congo_90 wrote: »
    its not back to front that annoys me because if people apply them from the inside they assume the L is ok. Its putting it in the wrong position eg instead of bottom right in back window (drivers side) they put it top left or people who put the L on the body of the car ugh!
    I firmly believe that if they are too thick to put up a sticker correctly then they shouldn't be allowed the privelige to drive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

congo_90 wrote: »
    or people who put the L on the body of the car ugh!

While it does look hideous, I'd prefer them all to have it on the body, that way it's not obstructing any of their view. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

That's what bothers me - do they not look at it from the outside after they stick it on?

It scares me to think how they interpret things they see in their mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've seen this one a few times (normally women drivers in hatchbacks)..

They put the L on with the boot up - looks grand.

They close the boot without ever noticing that their L is now a 7 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

:) It is just one of those things I can't understand ... HOW would they not notice ! Or people putting it in the centre of the rear / front windows.

edit: bottom centre!! don't think anyone could really be stupid enough to put it bang in the middle !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Or the ones that cut out the white part so it's just a red L... is this the trendy thing to do or something? Haute couture designer L plates!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Mairt wrote: »
    I've seen this one a few times (normally women drivers in hatchbacks)..

They put the L on with the boot up - looks grand.

They close the boot without ever noticing that their L is now a 7 :D
    Wouldn't it be a capitalised Gamma (Greek alphabet): "Γ"?

Perhaps they're Greek scholars. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Wow, some people are silly enough to put a sticker on a window upside down without noticing...

Get over it. YOU still know it's an L plate and therefore still know to give them the time, space and patience that they need.

Doesn't take much to piss some people off, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Or the ones that cut out the white part so it's just a red L... is this the trendy thing to do or something? Haute couture designer L plates!!!

People, to quote the rotr:

Your vehicle (unless it is a work vehicle or motorcycle) must display an "L" plate front and rear. The plate should be a red "L" on a white background.

front and rear Can be on the window / bumper etc.

red "L" on a white background. The white background doesnt have to be the big white square - It could be a perimeter of the red L - as long as the background is visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

beerbaron wrote: »
    The white background doesnt have to be the big white square - It could be a perimeter of the red L - as long as the background is visible.
    Actually it does. It must be a square plate, at least 15cm at the edge. A red L with a tiny bit of white along its edge is not legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

dont mind the on the bumper thing, but people that dont have an L Plate on right dont deserve to be on the road! most people that have those L plates with the white cut off are usually boy racers who are too embarassed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

edit: bottom centre!! don't think anyone could really be stupid enough to put it bang in the middle !

I've seen it done:eek::eek::eek:...more than once!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For anyone who's interested, it's actually has to be a rectangular plate, but at least 15cm high, so tough to avoid. A cut-out "L" is definitely not legal.
    S.I. No. 352/1999 Section 20.6 (b)
    (iii) a person provisionally licensed to drive vehicles of category B, C1, C, D1, D, EB, EC1, EC, ED1, or ED shall not drive such a vehicle unless there are displayed on the vehicle rectangular plates or signs bearing the letter “L” not less than fifteen centimetres high in red on a white ground, in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the vehicle,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I've seen it done:eek::eek::eek:...more than once!!!

:eek: indeed ! ! !

Bard wrote: »
    Wow, some people are silly enough to put a sticker on a window upside down without noticing...

Get over it. YOU still know it's an L plate and therefore still know to give them the time, space and patience that they need.

^^ Obviously not ! ! ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Bard wrote: »

I think the issue most people have with this is; if you don't "notice" this, what else don't you "notice"?
    Faulty headlights or tail-lights? incorrect tyre pressures? dashboard warning lights? lane position? pedestrians? other vehicles? road signs? traffic lights?

If you can't do this one simple thing correctly then it doesn't bode well for your overall attitude to driving IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

kbannon wrote: »
    I firmly believe that if they are too thick to put up a sticker correctly then they shouldn't be allowed the privelige to drive!

Agreed x 1000. They should be dished out fines and penalty points. That would learn them quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

seamus wrote: »
    For anyone who's interested, it's actually has to be a rectangular plate, but at least 15cm high, so tough to avoid. A cut-out "L" is definitely not legal.

Has anyone ever see one of the rectangular "L" plates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

beerbaron wrote: »
    Has anyone ever see one of the rectangular "L" plates ?

A square is just a fancy rectangle with the same height and width.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

BTW does anyone know when the new unaccompanied learner driver law comes into play? I bet you'll see a lot of "L" plates going missing then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 alexi_mcg

New rules come in June 08.

You guys need to get a life! There's bigger problems on our roads than a couple of backwards stickers - if its red and white and stuck on the back of a car it's an L-plate! You mustn't be paying attention to much else if you're getting all hot and bothered about how someone puts a sticker on a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

I am normally very tolerant of cars with 'L' plates and will give them more room, allow for mistakes etc.
    Very noble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

seamus wrote: »

The law stipulates plates or signs.

The cut-out technique is legal if you cut it in two to make two sections with a red straight line on each (plus the minuscule white boarder of course). The you place them so that they form the L as normal. So you have two rectangles.

It helps learner drivers with low self esteem who feel people may notice their learner status less if they adopt this technique. They are just as noticeable however. But if it makes them feel better.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

There's a girl going round Kilkenny and her 'L plate' is one of hen night ones. It's pink with red flashing lights. She doesn't have the lights turned on or anything but I just think that if you can't be arsed buying proper L plates, or decide to use idiotic hen nights ones, then you probably can't be arsed doing a lot of other things properly and shouldn't be driving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

alexi_mcg wrote: »
    You guys need to get a life! There's bigger problems on our roads than a couple of backwards stickers

Such as people in control of cars that lack the intelligence to notice that they've put a sticker on the wrong way around. If they are incapable of realising that then their driving ability must also be questioned.
    Very noble
    Thanks, I think so.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

ergonomics wrote: »
    There's a girl going round Kilkenny and her 'L plate' is one of hen night ones. It's pink with red flashing lights.

That is Hilarous!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I printed my L plates on normal paper and stuck em on. lol

Advertisement