Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the problem with 'L' plates

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dean820 wrote: »
    I printed my L plates on normal paper and stuck em on. lol

Your from Cavan?.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

kbannon wrote: »
    I firmly believe that if they are too thick to put up a sticker correctly then they shouldn't be allowed the privelige to drive!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sandwich wrote: »
    The cut-out technique is legal if you cut it in two to make two sections with a red straight line on each (plus the minuscule white boarder of course). The you place them so that they form the L as normal. So you have two rectangles.
    Both rectangles would have to be at least 15cm high. Which would be one big goddamn L.

Besides, it's unambiguous. Each "plate" must bear the letter L on it. It's not one big L, constructed of plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 alexi_mcg

stevec wrote: »
    Such as people in control of cars that lack the intelligence to notice that they've put a sticker on the wrong way around. If they are incapable of realising that then their driving ability must also be questioned.

Do you honestly believe that? Most people don't care how their L-plate is up - once its not in their way then why should it matter? Maybe they have noticed and just have better things to do than fix it. Sure thats like saying if I button up my shirt wrong and don't notice than I'm incompetant and should't be allowed to work.

And as for being "noble" for allowing for mistakes where learners are concerned, theres nothing noble about stereotyping them, assuming that all learners will do something stupid, when really you should treat all drivers the same way. 'Non-learners' should be given just as much room for error as those with L-plates, the only difference being that "experienced" drivers tend to do far stupider things at ridiculous speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

alexi_mcg wrote: »
    Most people don't care how their L-plate is up - once its not in their way then why should it matter? Maybe they have noticed and just have better things to do than fix it.

The previous posters were simply saying that if somebody has an L-plate on arseways, they are not paying much attention to detail, and other aspects of there driving may lack that similar attention to detail that driving requires.

I had L-plates up until last year, but I can't imagine the first day I put them up.. if I put them on wrong, just leaving them and walking away.
    stereotyping them

followed by:
    "experienced" drivers tend to do far stupider things at ridiculous speed.

hypocrisy is a word that springs to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Do you honestly believe that? Most people don't care how their L-plate is up - once its not in their way then why should it matter? Maybe they have noticed and just have better things to do than fix it.

The reason it matters it that it's a legal requirement to display the letter "L", not "7", not "Γ". The same way that it's a legal requirement to have correct tyre tread depth, seatbelts, and working brakes.

If they lack the cop-on to notice it's wrong then it's also likely that they lack the cop-on to notice more important things that might affect the safety of themselves and other road users.

The same holds true to your statement that they 'dont care'. What else do they not care about?
    Sure thats like saying if I button up my shirt wrong and don't notice than I'm incompetant and should't be allowed to work.

Personally, I'd point and laugh.
    If someone came in to work with their trousers on back to front, yes, I'd question their intelligence / sobriety.
    And as for being "noble" for allowing for mistakes where learners are concerned, theres nothing noble about stereotyping them, assuming that all learners will do something stupid, when really you should treat all drivers the same way. 'Non-learners' should be given just as much room for error as those with L-plates, the only difference being that "experienced" drivers tend to do far stupider things at ridiculous speed.

The idea behind 'L' plates is not to brand learners as stupid, it is to allow more experienced drivers to recognise that they are learners and therefore *more likely* to make mistakes.

Any decent driver will recognise this and allow them more room, and generally be more forgiving when they do make mistakes.

And yes, I always assume a learner is about to make a mistake, that way I'm ready to react to it.

The 'more experienced' stereotype as you put it have no excuse for their mistakes.

Driving is not a right, it is a privilige that must be earned.

:)

Advertisement