Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Squeaky Breaks

Options
  • 06-05-2008 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

I have a squeak coming from the brakes when I step on the brake pedal. I had the car jacked up and when I turned the wheel I could hear the pad( or what I think was the pad) rubbing off the disc. Is that normal or should the pads be looser.

Thanks in advance any advice is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pads should not touch the disc like that - have a mechanic look at it.
    Squeaks are either from pads being worn down (squeaks when you brake) or if there's an issue with the calliper. There may then be a constant sound that increase when you brake.
    Any case, have a grease monkey look at it, or disassemble it yourself if you feel confident on how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭AlanAhern

Sounds like a bearing to me. Easy fix. Pads dont rub off the disk unless the disk is warped. Warping of the disks occurs from heavy breaking and wearing etc.

Edit: just read again. More than likely you need new pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Pads in contact with the disc is normal - once the wheel turns freely then it's ok.

The squeak may be down to the pads - all that is required is smear of copper grease on the back of the pad plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

AlanAhern wrote: »
    Sounds like a bearing to me. Easy fix. Pads dont rub off the disk unless the disk is warped. Warping of the disks occurs from heavy breaking and wearing etc.

Edit: just read again. More than likely you need new pads.
    Bearing is not really an easy fix and pads do rub off the disk.
    OP they might just be worn if so get them replaced or else the disk will start wearing. Metal on metal =bad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We changed the breaks in our car ages ago and they continue to squeak. Mechanic says they are fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sully wrote: »
    We changed the breaks in our car ages ago and they continue to squeak. Mechanic says they are fine!
    See post 4 above.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't know if many other people would advise it, but for piece of mind, some of the Kwik-fit type places do a free brakes inspection. I've found a few of them good to deal with, and if nothing needs replacing they tell me - no upselling at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Advertisement