Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Sport resigns; replacement to be announced tomorrow

Options
  • 06-05-2008 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

From BreakingNews.ie:
    Brennan quits on health grounds
    06/05/2008 - 22:23:02
    One of the Government’s longest serving ministers resigned from the Cabinet tonight.

seamusbrennanjun07.jpg

Seamus Brennan has stepped down as Minister for Arts, Sports and Tourism, saying he was taking the decision on medical advice.

The Dublin South TD, who was first elected to the Dáil in 1981, has held six senior and four junior ministerial posts .

In a letter to Taoiseach-in-waiting Brian Cowen, Mr Brennan asked not to be considered for a position in his new Cabinet line-up which will be revealed tomorrow.

His resignation was accepted by Mr Cowen, who was tonight unanimously elected as Uachtaran Fianna Fail at a special meeting of the Fianna Fail Ard Chomhairle.

Mr Brennan’s news broke shortly after Taoiseach Bertie Ahern tendered his resignation to President Mary McAleese.

So, any guesses who's up for the post next?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

another one caught with hand in cookie jar:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

thehair wrote: »
    another one caught with hand in cookie jar:D

I've no love for Shamey but I think that is unfair. There's no whiff of scandal around him and he has genuinely been sick.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Sparks wrote: »
    So, any guesses who's up for the post next?

Since that ministry is not one of the big ticket ones, I'd expect a junior minister to be moved up into that job. That said, if there's a reshuffle after Cowen starts then all bets are off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Martin Cullen.

Justice- Dermot Ahern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Martin Cullen :mad: Not a great move tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not really great news :(
    Cullen's record's bad enough (though good news for any clubs in/around waterford), but changing the Minister for Justice at this point's probably going to cause delays :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

dresden8 wrote: »
    I've no love for Shamey but I think that is unfair. There's no whiff of scandal around him and he has genuinely been sick.

dresdent8 it was only a joke:D

Advertisement