Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rear wheel

Options
  • 06-05-2008 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Looking to purchase a new rear racing wheel for my trek road bike. I am a bit of a n00b when it comes to this as its the first time I have had to purchase new wheels for any bike. Do any of ye have any recommendation of where to buy both online and on the high street? I would like to keep the 9 speed cassette thats on the rear wheel at the moment.

Thanks.

Located in Dublin during the week and Cork @ the weekends.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

sound_wave wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Looking to purchase a new rear racing wheel for my trek road bike. I am a bit of a n00b when it comes to this as its the first time I have had to purchase new wheels for any bike. Do any of ye have any recommendation of where to buy both online and on the high street? I would like to keep the 9 speed cassette thats on the rear wheel at the moment.

Thanks.

Located in Dublin during the week and Cork @ the weekends.
    Drop in to Cliff at Cyclelogical at lunch time, and he'll see you right. They'll build you a strong wheel with whatever quality of components you specify (they are building one for me at the moment)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Why do you need a new wheel? And what are you looking for in the new one?

Wouldn't have much time for Cyclological. They can have an appalling attitude.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

el tonto wrote: »
    Wouldn't have much time for Cyclological. They can have an appalling attitude.
    I've always found Cliff to be very helpful: he's given me good advice, fair discounts and has delivered good work - I wouldn't go anywhere else.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Oh they know their stuff alright, but can treat people pretty crappily. Used to use them a fair bit and they were the only bike shop in town I trusted. Never had any problems, but then again I know my bikes and know what I'm looking for and they seem to be welcoming to people like me. Then asked my better half (who's by no means a bike nut) to drop a wheel in to them last year and they were incredibly rude to her and refused to do the job. Haven't darkened their door since. I can't be arsed having to prove I'm worthy enough to be a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

el tonto wrote: »
    Oh they know their stuff alright, but can treat people pretty crappily. Used to use them a fair bit and they were the only bike shop in town I trusted. Never had any problems, but then again I know my bikes and know what I'm looking for and they seem to be welcoming to people like me. Then asked my better half (who's by no means a bike nut) to drop a wheel in to them last year and they were incredibly rude to her and refused to do the job. Haven't darkened their door since. I can't be arsed having to prove I'm worthy enough to be a customer.

+1 they are horribly rude and unwelcoming to people they dont know, in fairness to Cliff he is the only one i find helpfull the rest seem to just want you out of the shop as soon as possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

I don't go there anymore either. I was never a regular, as I done all my shopping at cycleways (not anymore either).

I found them very unhelpful and honestly don't see the point of a local bike shop that doesn't do repairs. Twice I was left slack jawed when told they didn't have the room to take in my bike for work mid week, and that they didn't actually do repairs. Maybe there is a special code word that 'pros' use.

I'm afraid It's the internet for me until such a time when bike shops improve their customer service and prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Money Shot wrote: »
    I don't go there anymore either. I was never a regular, as I done all my shopping at cycleways (not anymore either).

I found them very unhelpful and honestly don't see the point of a local bike shop that doesn't do repairs. Twice I was left slack jawed when told they didn't have the room to take in my bike for work mid week, and that they didn't actually do repairs. Maybe there is a special code word that 'pros' use.

I guess they like to keep it exclusive. Whenever I book my MTB in I tell em that I bought it there, which I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

El Tonto has nailed it,what a shower,vote with your feet,this bull**** attitude they have if they think you don't know your bike stuff,whats that all about?,do they want to make the sale?,if they don't know your face and you walk in off the street,that's passing trade,right?,a good customer experience can then lead to REGULAR customers,regular sales and good word on mouth,on forums like this,come on lads get it together i don't want my swiss rimmed out,just no more surliness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Right... all Cyclological bashing aside...

Im just looking for a good all round wheel really, threads on the old rim are goosed..

You'll get a Mavic Aksium rear wheel on Chain reaction for around €100, which by all acounts is a sturdy wheel. It'll take your 9 speed cassette. I presume you're using a Shimano group?

• Advertisement

Nice one el tonto I'll have a look there now on chain reactions. Yeah shimano dura-ace all round.

On a slightly related issue, If i was to change my chain, which is due a change, do I have to change my cassette ( the old man says I do, I dont believe him)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Nice one el tonto I'll have a look there now on chain reactions. Yeah shimano dura-ace all round.

On a slightly related issue, If i was to change my chain, which is due a change, do I have to change my cassette ( the old man says I do, I dont believe him)?

It depends on the wear on the cassette. If it's badly worn, change it, if not, keep it

It depends on the wear on the cassette. If it's badly worn, change it, if not, keep it

It doesn't look that worn to me. Ill chance just the replacement chain so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

It doesn't look that worn to me. Ill chance just the replacement chain so.

I'd vote for changing it, if it's as old as the wheel you need to replace it. Chain slip is horrible.
    TBH, I'd change a whole chainset, but that's me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It does depend on the wear, you don't necessarily have to (but if you have noticed a chain problem the answer could well be "yes".) As a rule of thumb (chains are on a 1-inch standard:)
    The standard way to measure chain wear is with a ruler or steel tape measure. This can be done without removing the chain from the bicycle. The normal technique is to measure a one-foot length, placing an inch mark of the ruler exactly in the middle of one rivet, then looking at the corresponding rivet 12 complete links away. On a new, unworn chain, this rivet will also line up exactly with an inch mark. With a worn chain, the rivet will be past the inch mark.

This gives a direct measurement of the wear to the chain, and an indirect measurement of the wear to the sprockets:

If the rivet is less than 1/16" past the mark, all is well.

If the rivet is 1/16" past the mark, you should replace the chain, but the sprockets are probably undamaged.

If the rivet is 1/8" past the mark, you have left it too long, and the sprockets (at least the favorite ones) will be too badly worn. If you replace a chain at the 1/8" point, without replacing the sprockets, it may run OK and not skip, but the worn sprockets will cause the new chain to wear much faster than it should, until it catches up with the wear state of the sprockets.

If the rivet is past the 1/8" mark, a new chain will almost certainly skip on the worn sprockets, especially the smaller ones.

Advertisement