Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E85

Options
  • 06-05-2008 11:31pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know the VRT rates are changing shortly so this may render the point of the thread somewhat redundant but currently flexifuel cars attract a VRT rebate of 50%.
    How is this fair, given that the fuel is still quite infrequently available?
    Looking at Maxol's site (http://www.maxol.ie/index.php?Itemid=49&id=22&option=com_content&task=view), there is pretty much nothing available west of the Shannon.
    Topaz (Shell & Statoil) don't yet supply any E numbers nor AFAIK do Texaco or Esso.
    Whats the point in giving discounts to someone who buys a large Saab or whatever when there is no availability?
    Presumably these cars will get lower VRT & tax after July yet many will be consuming regular petrol.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I've no answer to your question other than it seems to be in line with the current 'fairness' level given to today's motorists.
    "Not thought through but feck it, if it has a hint of green then it has to be good".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was talking to some people from Topaz and they were suggesting that there is 5% ethanol in the Statoil/Shell stuff already! They should be bringing out and E85 soon!
    WHy aren't they broadcasting it then?
    Still, my rant last night about how deducting tax for vehicles that can use E85 rather than those that do use it is unfair!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I find that hard to believe, I have only recently started using Maxols E5 and the difference is noticable both in performance and economy. I previously used Statoil as it was on my commute.

I have a JDM car and it can take advantage of the higher RON in E5.

Also makes no sense that they aren't advertising it if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

AFAIK there's reduced duties on E85. I use it, but have to take my car back to be re-tuned as it hasn't been starting on the button as before since I had the Full-Flex put in.

Advertisement