Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

definition of E92 E46 or whatever???

Options
  • 06-05-2008 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

hey,

i notice alot of people refer to bmw's in here as Exx rather than 320d 318 ...etc etc..where can i get a definitive list of all these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I don't normally recommend the website for reliable info, but wikipedia seems to have a fairly good grasp.

BTW a 318 can be both an E46 and E90, but not an E92(yet anyway), they refer to build model (i.e E46=3 series 99-2004, E90=2004- E92=coupe E90)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

jon1981 wrote: »
    hey,

i notice alot of people refer to bmw's in here as Exx rather than 320d 318 ...etc etc..where can i get a definitive list of all these?

It's a secret club that only Bavaria Motor Werks owners know about... never fancied it myself, it involves getting a speech centre installed in your rectum.

Sorry kb, my bad, it's only opinion - please don't ban me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Im having the same trouble, finding it hard to navigate wikipedia.
    For example, what E-model is 2004 BMW 320D?
    All a bit confusing, especially trying to get a VRT figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Loobz wrote: »
    Im having the same trouble, finding it hard to navigate wikipedia.
    For example, what E-model is 2004 BMW 320D?
    All a bit confusing, especially trying to get a VRT figure.

It's an E46. As ninty9er said, check wikipedia - here's a page on the 3 series.
    stevec wrote: »
    It's a secret club that only Bavaria Motor Werks owners know about... never fancied it myself, it involves getting a speech centre installed in your rectum.

What a load of ****. It's no different to saying a Mark 4 Golf etc. A 320 spans 3 or 4 generations of the car, so it makes sense to call it an e46 or whatever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

eoin_s wrote: »
    It's an E46. As ninty9er said, check wikipedia - here's a page on the 3 series.

What a load of ****. It's no different to saying a Mark 4 Golf etc. A 320 spans 3 or 4 generations of the car, so it makes sense to call it an e46 or whatever.

Point taken, unless you speak bmw it is meaningless though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Sorry but it is a load of **** to people that aren't up to speed with the BMW way of doing things. Mark 1..2..3..4..etc is a normal way to indicate newer models. WTF are all these E numbers?? They have no direct meaning to BMW outsiders. E46 is a 320. Please expand on how 320=E46.Why don't they stick to mark numbers like most other marques.

Ask anyone what's a mark 3 Golf and they'll answer it's a Volkswagen golf,of some sort. Ask them what's an E90 and they'll say it's something in your food.

Sorry but it is a load of **** to people that aren't up to speed with the BMW way of doing things. Mark 1..2..3..4..etc is a normal way to indicate newer models. WTF are all these E numbers?? They have no direct meaning to BMW outsiders. E46 is a 320. Please expand on how 320=E46.Why don't they stick to mark numbers like most other marques.

Check the link I posted - it's only a couple of posts up. Someone asked what a 2004 320 would be, and I answered it is an e46 because it's a 2004 model and a 320.
    Ask anyone what's a mark 3 Golf and they'll answer it's a Volkswagen golf,of some sort. Ask them what's an E90 and they'll say it's something in your food.

And ask someone what an "E90 3 series" is and they'll probably guess it's a 3 series. They didn't use Mark 1,2,3,4 whatever, they used letters instead. Big deal. I presume you have the same issue with Mercedes using W designations? Or the Nissan Primera that uses P. Or say, the Toyota Corolla which uses (shock horror) E as well.

Jesus, between this and the windshield clutter thread, I can see why the likes of the Octane regulars think this place is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Sorry but it is a load of **** to people that aren't up to speed with the BMW way of doing things. Mark 1..2..3..4..etc is a normal way to indicate newer models. WTF are all these E numbers??

You'll actually find that nearly every car company in the world will name it's various models with a letter + numbers, which will identify the platform which the car is built.

For Example:-
    Merc W192
    Volvo P2
    BMW E46
    VW B5

• Registered Users Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Grrr it isnt that difficult e36 covers all bmw 3 series from 316 to m3 evo from a period of around 7 years endding 98/99 e46 ditto from a period of 7 or so years to 2005.

e90 is the new shape saloon and e92 is the new shape coupe.

So e46 is to Mkiv golf as e90 is to Mkv golf, not that hard.

All manuf do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

We'll dumb it down just for you then, from now on no one is allowed to mention ITR's, 993's, W220's, E85, B4's/B7's, E39's or any manufacturers code or commonly referred to TLA.

That is what google is for, look it up if you are interested, if not just ignore it, don't whinge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Cyrus wrote: »
    Grrr it isnt that difficult e36 covers all bmw 3 series from 316 to m3 evo from a period of around 7 years endding 98/99 e46 ditto from a period of 7 or so years to 2005.

e90 is the new shape saloon and e92 is the new shape coupe.

So e46 is to Mkiv golf as e90 is to Mkv golf, not that hard.

All manuf do this

Good man Cyrus, thats it explained to me nice and simple. I was also confused but hadn't the patience to study it to perfection on Wikipedia or wherever.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

stevec wrote: »

:mad: banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

looking at a 3 series, cant go over a 2litre sized engine, is petrol or diesel the way to go? i do about 12,000-15,000 miles a year. would i notice any significant savings on a diesel with that mileage?

why cant you go over 2 litre?

what year are you looking for?

whether its worth your while going for diesel over petrol depends on the initial cost of the car and the type of mileage.

kinda has to be a 320d from what you are saying tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

A 320i with that delightful straight 6 is also a possibility for someone who isn't doing too many miles!

As for BMW E numbers(soon to be F numbers, the last E number was this year's E71 X6, all future BMWs will begin with F starting with the F01/F02 7 series later on this year), Merc have W, T, C, S and R numbers and 3 rather than 2 digits, so if you think BMW are bad then you haven't gone near Merc obviously!

Then we have Honda with their EG, EP, EJ, EK Civic and a number afterwards to distinguish between the bodystyles, model e.g. SiR or standard model, and even generation, the DA6/DC2/DC5 Integra(3 different types of 'Teg), Toyota with E numbers as well, not to mention VAG with B4/C5 etc depending on model.

The reason why BMWs have E or F numbers is because that's what the company refers to their cars internally(E is an abbreviation for Entwicklung, which is German for development).

E92 wrote: »
    A 320i with that delightful straight 6 is also a possibility for someone who isn't doing too many miles!

As for BMW E numbers(soon to be F numbers, the last E number was this year's E71 X6, all future BMWs will begin with F starting with the F01/F02 7 series later on this year), Merc have W, T, C, S and R numbers and 3 rather than 2 digits, so if you think BMW are bad then you haven't gone near Merc obviously!

Then we have Honda with their EG, EP, EJ, EK Civic and a number afterwards to distinguish between the bodystyles, model e.g. SiR or standard model, and even generation, the DA6/DC2/DC5 Integra(3 different types of 'Teg), Toyota with E numbers as well, not to mention VAG with B4/C5 etc depending on model.

The reason why BMWs have E or F numbers is because that's what the company refers to their cars internally(E is an abbreviation for Entwicklung, which is German for development).

320i (in e46 guise ) is a 2.2 tho and the e90 320 is a 4cyl

Anyway a 320i 2.2 6cyl isnt a whole lot more economical than a 325/330 and doesnt cost any less to run either so.......................... :D

buy a 330 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

320i (in e46 guise ) is a 2.2 tho and the e90 320 is a 4cyl

Anyway a 320i 2.2 6cyl isnt a whole lot more economical than a 325/330 and doesnt cost any less to run either so.......................... :D

buy a 330 ;)
    They did a 320i with the 2.0 straight 6 for a while too in the E46(rare as hen's teeth though cause they only sold it here and not in the UK);)!

E92 wrote: »
    They did a 320i with the 2.0 straight 6 for a while too in the E46(rare as hen's teeth though cause they only sold it here and not in the UK);)!

ah so they did, the M52TUB20

i couldnt imagine you were wrong but id never heard of it :p still, who'd want it :o

ah so they did, the M52TUB20

i couldnt imagine you were wrong but id never heard of it :p still, who'd want it :o

Sounds like a technical update engine - perhaps for the NIKASIL issue on the M52s?

@jon1981 - the 320d isn't bad at all, not great sound off it, but good bit of poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

yeah the 320d seems to get the thumbs up from what i can see on this forum. the reason i dont want to go above a 2litre is purely down to insurance reasons. i think i would like a 3 series coupe, but now it comes down to petrol or deisel. i know diesel is now an average of 5cent more a litre than petrol. but with me doing 12k-15k a year most days its about 15 miles, weekends and days off i might do more. would i see the savings in a diesel?

dare i say it, there is always the saab 9-3 1.9tdi vector sport 150 bhp, pick a 05 up across the water with loads of extras for ~18 (including VRT)

also im coming from a 1l engine lol so its big jump!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Posting to show my favour towards the e46 320ci. It's not cos I own one I swear!

Seriously a 2.2 isn't so bad economically compared to a 2.0l.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

Only the sad bmw losers ever refer to them as exx. I have friends with bmw's and they never refer to them as e.

yeah the 320d seems to get the thumbs up from what i can see on this forum. the reason i dont want to go above a 2litre is purely down to insurance reasons. i think i would like a 3 series coupe, but now it comes down to petrol or deisel. i know diesel is now an average of 5cent more a litre than petrol. but with me doing 12k-15k a year most days its about 15 miles, weekends and days off i might do more. would i see the savings in a diesel?

You may find that a larger saloon may be easier to insure than a smaller engine coupe, so make sure you ring around and get quotes on both. I'd go for a 323 saloon over a 318 coupe.
    Phaetonman wrote: »
    Only the sad bmw losers ever refer to them as exx. I have friends with bmw's and they never refer to them as e.

Good for them.

dare i say it, there is always the saab 9-3 1.9tdi vector sport 150 bhp, pick a 05 up across the water with loads of extras for ~18 (including VRT)

also im coming from a 1l engine lol so its big jump!

saab wouldnt be a bad one imo, decent engine and great value in the uk!

id check insurance quotes before you worry about engine sizes, ive found large engined bmws cheap to insure personally

really so if i said i had say a bmw 325 how would you know if it was an e30/e36/e46, you wouldnt, would you.

i dont have any friends that own phaetons ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

really so if i said i had say a bmw 325 how would you know if it was an e30/e36/e46, you wouldnt, would you.

i dont have any friends that own phaetons ;)
    Who gives a **** really? They are just updated versions of the same car. Its not the sort of thing that would come up in a conversation between normal people. You hardly ever hear people refer to B5 and B6 Passats either.

Who gives a **** really? They are just updated versions of the same car. Its not the sort of thing that would come up in a conversation between normal people. You hardly ever hear people refer to B5 and B6 Passats either.

I don't know why I'm humouring your little rant, but in my experience people use the version number to make the distinction between the models when it's appropriate to do so. Bear in mind that this is, in fact, the motors forum; so being more specific about the version shouldn't be a huge shock to the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Bear in mind that this is, in fact, the motors forum; so being more specific about the version shouldn't be a huge shock to the system.

+1

(even though I have to admit, I don't know which one's which either)

who spends time talking about passats :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd imagine that's because they don't know such a description of the car exists....who's the loser now:p

Advertisement