Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

definition of E92 E46 or whatever???

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Phaetonman wrote: »
    Only the sad bmw losers ever refer to them as exx. I have friends with bmw's and they never refer to them as e.

Pretty much every one of your 'contributions' to the motoring section other than posting photo's of your own car has been useless, why do you even bother:confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Only the sad bmw losers ever refer to them as exx. I have friends with bmw's and they never refer to them as e.
    Maybe they bought the car for the badge and with no consideration for anything else! Assuming thats the case (quite likely) then they really are the loser!
    eoin_s wrote: »
    Good for them.
    I couldn't put it better myself! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

When have I ever posted photos of my own car?

I don't need you to judge the validtiy of my comments ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Who gives a **** really? They are just updated versions of the same car. Its not the sort of thing that would come up in a conversation between normal people. You hardly ever hear people refer to B5 and B6 Passats either.

Can you not see why people may pull you up on your negative and just plain shìt-stirring posts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Apologies, I saw a photo of a Phaeton a few months ago in the here's what I drive section, presumed it was you, obviously there are 2 Phaetons in Ireland, not 1 as I previously thought. Still stand by the rest of my comment though.

We are all (well most of us I think) motoring enthusiasts here, and as such you are going to get contributors going into a little more detail then they would in a non motoring environment, if you don't like it, you know where to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Jayz, ya didn't really ban stevec did ya kb? I thought that was funny :pac:

Good info on this thread though...especially for someone like me who has difficulty with the concept of MarkI-MarkIV Golf, nevermind E-numbers.

I deal in the year the car was made and that does me...probably goes a long way to explaining why I currently drive a Stilo though* :pac:

*although, I do like my Stilo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You should go onto a Merc W124 (that's the old E class , the one with the square lights:D) forum once ...they talk about MOPF I and MOPF II all the time :D

(MOPF stands for MOdellPFlege, or facelift to you and me)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Jayz, ya didn't really ban stevec did ya kb? I thought that was funny :pac:
    Am I really that bad? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,305 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Admittedly, its only because the codes are commonly used that anyone knows what they are!

I drive a "Models 169", anyone care to figure that out? Without looking at my posting history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

MYOB wrote: »
    Admittedly, its only because the codes are commonly used that anyone knows what they are!

I drive a "Models 169", anyone care to figure that out? Without looking at my posting history!

You drive a Fiat Panda I'm guessing:p?

That was a good one cause if you typed in "Models 169" into google you get absolutely nothing car related(by comparison Exx gets whatever BMW it is straight away even though "nobody":rolleyes: uses the E numbers for BMW, even HonestJohn gives BMWs their E number so as to distinguish them these days) but throw in car as well and you'll get the answer eventually;)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,305 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bingo. Its whats used in the parts DB, on the ID plate, etc - only says Panda on the rear basically. However nobodies ever really used them to name them... possible as 169 doesn't sound as cool as E-whatever ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

stevec wrote: »
    unless you speak bmw it is meaningless though.

Most car enthusiasts are multilingual that way :p

Anyway, if you're involved in a thread here and someone mentions a type code for any make or model of car, your dictionary (google) will quickly explain exactly what car they are on about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

unkel wrote: »
    Most car enthusiasts are multilingual that way :p

Anyway, if you're involved in a thread here and someone mentions a type code for any make or model of car, your dictionary (google) will quickly explain exactly what car they are on about.

I agree, motors is more of a general motoring forum though and not everyone here is a petrolhead or a BMW owner.

I would agree with posts that most BMW owners in this country would goldfish if you asked them which E number they had.

I just think its a tad elitist to expect everyone to know what an E36 is (besides a food colouring) and it hampers the enjoyment of the forum. It's not as if you're being asked to spell some obscure make like misterb mistubihs mixtibih some japanese ones, it's only 3 letters.:p

:)

I agree, motors is more of a general motoring forum though and not everyone here is a petrolhead or a BMW owner.

I would agree with posts that most BMW owners in this country would goldfish if you asked them which E number they had.

I just think its a tad elitist to expect everyone to know what an E36 is (besides a food colouring) and it hampers the enjoyment of the forum. It's not as if you're being asked to spell some obscure make like misterb mistubihs mixtibih some japanese ones, it's only 3 letters.:p

:)

It's no more elitist than saying a Mark 3 Golf, but Golf owners don't attract the same vitriol as BMW owners do.

If someone says "I'm looking at an e36 325, any opinions?" then I dare say that opinions from someone who knows what an e36 is are probably given a bit more credence.

People who post these questions aren't expecting everyone to know what it is, but I can imagine that they are hoping that those who do know what it means will help out, and those who don't know what it means won't post petty sniping comments.

Would you post the same type of remarks about Honda owners talking about their ITRs, VTEC / whatever?

While I am sure it bores some people when actual motor questions are asked, and people dare use the full idenfication of their car; it makes a nice change from some of the Joe Duffy threads you see here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If someone says "I'm looking at an e35 325, any opinions?" then I dare say that opinions from someone who knows what an e36 is are probably given a bit more credence.

People who post these questions aren't expecting everyone to know what it is, but I can imagine that they are hoping that those who do know what it means will help out, and those who don't know what it means won't post petty sniping comments.

I know I posted a smart comment at the start of this thread - rest assured it was in jest, it was not sniping.:)
    I'm looking at an e35 325

They don't though. If they used terms like 325 / 320i / M3 / M5 etc then I think most people would recognise what they are talking about, as would using the terms Avensis, Corolla, A3, A4, Mondeo, Model 'T' etc. The original question in this thread was WTF is an E36?? not WTF is an E36 318i.

If I started a thread "what rear plugs are best for my DE3A" I doubt I'd get many replies - you're right though and I take your point, I'd be more interested in replies from people who recognised the question.
    While I am sure it bores some people when actual motor questions are asked, and people dare use the full idenfication of their car; it makes a nice change from some of the Joe Duffy threads you see here.

Yes but I think that in the spirit of boards, motors will always be that way - it will always have the 'joe duffy' questions.

What's the answer? I don't know.
    I don't think a petrolhead subfourm where users are banned for asking how to change a wheel or where their tax disc should be is the answer. I like motors the way is is (despite all the E numbers :p).

They don't though. If they used terms like 325 / 320i / M3 / M5 etc then I think most people would recognise what they are talking about, as would using the terms Avensis, Corolla, A3, A4, Mondeo, Model 'T' etc. The original question in this thread was WTF is an E36?? not WTF is an E36 318i.

But my point is that saying a 325 could refer to at least 3 different generations of 3 series, so the next question in the thread would be "what type of 325?"

But my point is that saying a 325 could refer to at least 3 different generations of 3 series, so the next question in the thread would be "what type of 325?"

I accept your point.

As you said earlier, if someone says "I'm looking at an e35 325, any opinions?" then its obvious that it's to do with a BMW 325 - happily read on knowing what the thread is about.

If someone asks "I'm looking at an e35, any opinions?" then it's not obvious to most, it could be a 318 / 325 / whatever.
    unkel wrote: »
    your dictionary (google) will quickly explain exactly what car they are on about.

For shits 'n' giggles, I googled "e35" and came up with the following: (amongst other stuff)

> "Geomesh watch e35 grid watch with LED display"......(a watch)
    > "ASTM International Technical Committee E35".....(????)
    > "MPEC 2005-E35 : COMET C/2005 E1 (TUBBIOLO)"......(A small planet)
    > "Sole E35 Review: Powered by ConsumerGuide and HowStuffWorks".....(a treadmill)
    > "Pentax Optio E35 - Review, Price, Photo and Video on Wikio"....(a camera)
    > "Sony MZ-E35 and MZ-E2 Comparison Review".....(a DVD player)
    > "HMS E35 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"......(a submarine)
    > "Elan Power E35 Motor Boat - Elan Power 35 Yacht by Elan Yachts"....(a boat)
    > "Free downloads bmw wiring: BMW Electrical Troubleshooting Manual"......

at last, 4 pages / 35 hits later...... normally I wouldn't even read page 2 of a google search.

It seems the mighty google doesn't speak BMW either;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah, guess why ;)

its e36, try google that

Cyrus wrote: »
    yeah, guess why ;)

its e36, try google that

That makes more sense, thanks - I picked up on E35 from eoins post.

rant over.

That makes more sense, thanks - I picked up on E35 from eoins post.

rant over.
    #

Whoops!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Cyrus wrote: »
    its e36, try google that
    It is NOT e36.

It is however E36;)!

If someone says "I want to buy an Integra Type-R" we don't say oh go ahead, we say "is it a DC2 or a DC5 you're interested in?".

Similarly with BMW. If someone says "I want a 320i", well how are we supposed to know if they want an E21, E30, E36, E46, E90, E91, E92 or an E93 320i? We can't read peoples' minds.

Honestly, this is turning into the most ridiculous thread ever.

It seems that somehow because BMW use E numbers that this is now a bad thing(nobody complains about Audi/VW's use of codes, or especially Merc which have 3 digites preceded by a letter, and that letter can be T, W, R or S, compared to simply E for BMW, and starting with next year's 7 series, we will have F imnstead of E for all future BMWs), and amounts to nothing more than sh!t stirring to get people a bit p1ssed off.

Advertisement