Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know any thing about mini diggers

Options
  • 07-05-2008 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Now that my house is built the site clean up will be starting over the new few weeks.At the end of the site there is an old stone wall (100yards long ) and over the years rubble has build up and now needs to be removed. To do this I need to get a digger into sort the mess out, the only problem is that there are a large number of mature trees present and the distance between them is very narrow to get a normal digger through .
    I can not cut any tree nor take the wall down (part ofplanning permission reg).
    I had a guy in with a mini digger for two days and it cost me €500. I would say that there is about 6 weeks work for the digger in total over the next few months. I looked to hire out a mini digger and drive it myself, that works out about €800 per week. I have priced them second hand for about 10 to 13 K. In the long run to buy is cheaper as I will always have use for it .
    The only thing I do not know anything about them (good makes ,bad makes).
    I drove them in England years ago (another life)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,157 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Not really suited for this forum and Im puzzled as to where to put it - first stop is DIY where it should get more replies than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

What size digger are you talking about punch? 1Tn, 3Tn, 5Tn, 8Tn.....I know there was a thread on here before regarding recommending a mini digger to buy so if you do a search you might find it but the basic principle applies. "you gets what you pays for"

The problem with buying a second hand mini digger is that the majority of them come from self drive hire fleets and they have been dogged for a few years. It's hard to know just what trouble you are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I visited this topic before and came to conclusion that purchase is risky. A dodgy drive replacement may cost €1000's.

Rental is costing me €125 per day and I found that I got alot more done than I expected, so was delighted I didn't go the purchase route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

gerryan15 wrote: »
    A lad i used before minidiggerhire.ie
    Based in Kildare/Dublin area.

There doesn't appear to be anything with that web address?

We'd be very interested in anyone offering this service for Dublin area. Plenty of work available. PMs please.

Advertisement