Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reading material

• 07-05-2008 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I was hoping that I could find some direction here. What titles are an appropriate read as an introduction to the law. I am looking for a few things namely books introducing things such as citation and the roles of the various courts, also would anyone have a reccomendation for an introduction to legal writing?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

A good thorough introduction is The Irish Legal system by Byrne and mcCutcheon, on the courts, baisc intros to different areas of law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

Thanks, now off to amazon and then to have a good read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

A good thorough introduction is The Irish Legal system by Byrne and mcCutcheon, on the courts, baisc intros to different areas of law.

Seconded. It was (is?) the core textbook for Legal Systems and Methods in UCD's law degree courses. Should have everything you need in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

i have principles of irish law by brian doolan, not a bad book, plus its in plain english as opposed to ye legal english!

Thanks lads. I'm looking for an all round introduction before I head in for the FE-1s. I don't want to look like a pleb.

Would anyone know of a book that introduces the technicalities of writing in legal English. Maybe some one knows of a book that talks about illegal English as well. Ah yeah that's terrible.

• Advertisement

if youd like to PM me your e-mail address ill send you some notes from my legal writing & research class on grammer, punctuation, citations etc... might come in useful to ya.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Rumpole of the Bailey by John Mortimer. After that it's all padding really.

Rumpole of the Bailey by John Mortimer. After that it's all padding really.
    :D Timeless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

Learning the Law by Glanville Williams is timeless and quaint but well worth a read to absorb the ethos of the law. Its on about the 12th edition, now i think.

Thanks lads, am heading in to town today to get them so I will see how it all goes. Shame the weather is so nice because I would rather be outide than reading.

• Advertisement

well my exams start thursday and im studying out the back! takes the edge off studying! all hail the sun! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

king-stew wrote: »
    i have principles of irish law by brian doolan, not a bad book, plus its in plain english as opposed to ye legal english!
    Just make sure you have an up to date edition.

Advertisement