Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another "200 Build Up" Randonee.......

Options
  • 07-05-2008 7:16am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorrento are holding two runs, 100 and 200k on Sunday May 25th., The Mick Byrne Memorial Randonee, two weeks before the Big Un. Feed stations and route sheets provided.

http://www.sorrentocyclingclub.com/docs/mickbyrne.pdf

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Saw that on their website alright. Any idea of what the route is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    Saw that on their website alright. Any idea of what the route is?

Not entirely sure of the route, but emty was talkin about it on Monday and says that it's a tough one...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I reckon I'll be on for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

yes deffo will do that,the Mount Leinster Challenge is on the week before,160kms i think,anyone doing that and then the Wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Definately will be on for this; would do the Mount Leinster but not sure about getting to Enniscorthy (I can cycle to Dalkey!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

The route sheet for the 100km is up on the site, nothing on the 200km yet! I have tried to plot this on Google Maps. Who's doing it- 100km or the 200km?

I'm going to do the 200km,been taking it easy this week,no mad milage so hopefully will feel fresh on Sunday,i needed the rest after Mt Leinster.

You don't have any insider knowledge on the route for the 200?

no none,but im sure from looking at the 100km,we'll do some of the Wicklow climbs and around that general area,weather is supposed to be ok on Sunday as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

I will take part in the 100 one, and depending on my feelings I can decide which route to take on the W200.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I was gonna do this, but I think I'm gonna go watch the Rás instead.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Anyone else find it a bit weird they haven't published a route for the 200 one? I probably won't be able to get out for that long on Sunday anyway, but if I was I'd like to know just where I was going.

I figured I'd give the 200km a go, and then if I felt tired after the first 100km I would just head back ;-) Would like to know where it was going though. Ideally I would be hoping for something a little easier than the W200 at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

Hi lads,

here you have the link for the 100 and 200 routes.
    enjoy it.
    http://sorrentocyclingclub.com/site/?p=147
    hope you took a nice waterproof jacket today. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rogerb

I'll be doing the 200K route. I'll be in Orwell kit and riding a Focus. Hope to see some of you there.

Just had a look at the route sheet. Looks like the route-finding is going to be a bit of a challenge?! Does anyone else have experience of this kind of event? Is it that hard to figure out where you're supposed to be going, or am I just panicking?

I haven't had a good look at the 200 yet but had a look over the 100 compared to a map and it was actually straightforward enough (I knew most of the roads anyway.) A substantial part of the volume in those instructions is getting out of Dalkey/Dublin, it's actually a lot simpler in Wicklow.

It will probably be OK on the day especially if you have a look over beforehand. The instructions are probably better than a map if you are following it on the bike.

I believe this is the traditional audax/brevet way of doing things!

I'll be on a Focus too most likely and probably going to try the 200- if I get up early enough.

blorg wrote: »
    It will probably be OK on the day especially if you have a look over beforehand. The instructions are probably better than a map if you are following it on the bike.

OK thanks, I'll take your word for it!

Remember lads, 200k kicks off at 8am.
    100k follows at 10am.

• Advertisement

I'll be on a Focus also. :eek::eek:
    Far too common now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

And I thought I was special with mine... fine, I'm not going now, cos there's too many Focuses (Foci?) :D

Also due to me nearly being dead after the epic that was today

Planet X wrote: »
    Far too common now!

I'm afraid you're right: they're cheap as chips and common as muck. I was on a cycling event recently and there were so many of the things parked at the feed stations I had trouble finding my own. Nearly rode off on someone else's bike ...

Way to upgrade alright :pac:

Planet X wrote: »
    Way to upgrade alright :pac:

The thought hadn't even crossed my mind ... I'll have my eye on you, that's for sure ...

Just heading off on this now, hope there's a good turnout!

Windy
    i
    n
    d
    y

My christ it was. Climb up Sally Gap was absolutely fine, it was when you got to the top the problems started!

yes lads that was windy alright,i ,the lead bunch were going at it hammer and tongs,i lost the second group on sleive mann,never got back on and watched them disappear in to wind set,well done to Sorrento,well organised.Would any of you lads say that was harder than the wicklow 200 route?.

• Advertisement

Definately harder. The fact that the major climbs were at the end definately made it so. Even without the wind I would have thought it, with the wind no question. It was a bit longer too, the W200 sometimes didn't quite stretch to the 200km last year, it was something like 187km. "200 Build up" my arse.

I was with the third group from the back* until around 60km in. How close to the front I am not sure, but I know that I was in the the third from the back as that was how many groups passed when I punctured and unfortunately I faffed around with it a bit long and never caught up again ;-) Don't know if I would have kept with it though, heart rate was well above normal and I was slipping behind on the climbs.

Excellent organisation, great food stops and mechanical assistance and exceedingly well signposted, well done Sorrento, I'll be back next year.

Apart from rogerb met another guy on a Focus doing the 100. Common as muck.

*think this was the front group!

Advertisement